IGNORED

My first hour with Zelda

Sng

First things out the way... I hate the limited FOV, you can't see shit around you?! And I hate how you have to be EXACTLY in the right place to get the context sensitive option to pop up, like "pick up" or "climb". I also hate the way I'm gonna get wankers cramp using a sword. And I hate the way enemies have to pratically be on top of you before you can lock-on.

So anyway, at the start one of the first puzzles is the woman with the bee hive. So you obviously have to get that down. Then one of the next things that happens is you get told about the slingshot you can buy. So you'd think that's obvious; get the slingshot, shoot the beehive. BUT OH NO, YOU GOTTA GET OWL-MAN TO FLY INTO IT! And then with the cradle lost in the river... I was looking everywhere for that! OOOOOH NO, YOU GOTTA GET OWL-MAN AGAIN. Then after rescuing the kids you have to persuade that woman to give the horse back. Where did she go?! I looked for ages, even went up to the beach bit but the gate was closed so I assumed you couldn't go there (like how the other gate was just near it). OOOOO NO, you gotta walk riiiight up to it to get the "TALK" option to appear. I didn't even see anyone behind it thanks to the blur-o-vision graphics.

I really liked Wind Waker. Tell me I'm gonna get into this? Or looking back, was it a bit shit?

The first hour or so is weak and a bit confusing, but it's just showing you how to do things. If you can't get over the fact that you have to go up to someone to talk to them, though, you might be too chronically picky to enjoy it.

I don't mind walking up to them to speak, just like I don't mind walking up to a ladder to climb it, or to a horse to get on it. But I just don't like the way it makes you be so precise about where you are for the option to pop up.

Anyway, I'll carry on, as it seems it'll get good soon enough.

But, err.. where's the hole? I'm the wolf and I gotta get out of my cell. Can't see no damn hole! :angry:

I don't mind walking up to them to speak, just like I don't mind walking up to a ladder to climb it, or to a horse to get on it. But I just don't like the way it makes you be so precise about where you are for the option to pop up.

Anyway, I'll carry on, as it seems it'll get good soon enough.

But, err.. where's the hole? I'm the wolf and I gotta get out of my cell. Can't see no damn hole! :angry:

.::: Bars. Right. Box. Break. Dig.

Eh? The game only lasts 35-40 hours.

.::: Yeah, but the majority of the people here double their play-times for no reason at all. Well apart from the fact that they are cack-handed obviously. :lol:

Cheers!

I had to use gamefaqs to figure out how to get the beehive so I got a feeling this game will take me a while :angry:

.::: You can call us for mental support when (read: if) you reach TEH WATER DUNGEON!

I'm afraid I'm in the 'loved Wind Waker and Ocarina but found Twilight Princess really dull, grating and obtuse' camp. I realise it was a pegged as an encapsulation of everything that makes a Zelda title, and perhaps that's accurate, but it seemed to have forgotten to be fun along the way and become mired as a needless extrapolation of everything Zelda..

Very pretty, though.

Cheers!

I had to use gamefaqs to figure out how to get the beehive so I got a feeling this game will take me a while :angry:

Ok Soong, this is my only advice to you then: don't use gamefqs again. To be honest you should refrain from even asking on here unless you are reeeeeeally desperate - the part of Zelda that is so great is how clever you feel when you work something out!

It's like a really elaborate what-shape-goes-through-the-round-hole? game, whenever you get stuck, just think of all the abilities you have at your disposal and try them out to see what happens! Some people can find it a little ambiguous (as said above) but personall, nothing beats that grin of pride when you hear that jingle :lol:

It really is a great game, but the start does crawl on a bit. Once you're free of the first bit you'll be having more fun, I hope!

Good luck with it man! :lol:

Ok Soong, this is my only advice to you then: don't use gamefqs again. To be honest you should refrain from even asking on here unless you are reeeeeeally desperate - the part of Zelda that is so great is how clever you feel when you work something out!

It's like a really elaborate what-shape-goes-through-the-round-hole? game, whenever you get stuck, just think of all the abilities you have at your disposal and try them out to see what happens! Some people can find it a little ambiguous (as said above) but personall, nothing beats that grin of pride when you hear that jingle :angry:

It really is a great game, but the start does crawl on a bit. Once you're free of the first bit you'll be having more fun, I hope!

Good luck with it man! :lol:

you're absoloutely spot on. Few games manage to give you the "omg - I'm so CLEVER" feeling as a zelda game. (I believe Portal manages it - but I haven't played it *yet*)

Yeah I'd agree if the puzzles (so far) were logical. I'd have fun finding them out. Fly an owl into the beehive though? Who the hell thought that up, ESPECIALLY around the same time you get a slingshot. FLY AN OWL INTO A BEEHIVE?!

EDIT: It's not an owl but I forgot what kinda bird-thing it is.

you're absoloutely spot on. Few games manage to give you the "omg - I'm so CLEVER" feeling as a zelda game. (I believe Portal manages it - but I haven't played it *yet*)

Holy shit you should do it man!!! You can literally finish it in just over two hours! It's like watching a film!! And you will have the Zelda-grin plastered all over your face like an idiot for pretty much the whole time!

(and your missus might actually, give it a chance, since its clever like that!)

GO GO GO FOR FUCKS SAKE!

Yeah I'd agree if the puzzles (so far) were logical. I'd have fun finding them out. Fly an owl into the beehive though? Who the hell thought that up, ESPECIALLY around the same time you get a slingshot. FLY AN OWL INTO A BEEHIVE?!

EDIT: It's not an owl but I forgot what kinda bird-thing it is.

Hehe, it's an eagle! But dont they teach you that the eagle can fetch you things? I can't even remember the start properly now, but I didn't find it too tricky :angry: You'll be fine, if you manage to sink into the mindset!