rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Number 28

Oil painting

Coming along well. You might have some trouble covering up the original lines though...something i'm finding a pain at the moment. Next time i'll be watering the ink down about 50%. Also, blonde hair is proving a nightmare, so good luck with that. As always, brunettes FTW. :o

Orchid, you might find you have a problem with the background if you don't get it filled in around the face before the next layer. I don't know if it's the same for everyone but I used to do the background last and when I got close to the subject the two would mix and smudge a bit. I'm shit at tight paintbrush control though so maybe it's just me.

Suit yourself. :wub:

Edit: though if I might change tack briefly, I notice the lass isn't quite looking at us. I think you need to move the edge of her right (our left) iris over to the left (her right) a bit. Did I make that confusing enough?

Um, I thought I had moved the iris out a little already compared to the photograph.

It should be closer to the left (our left) side of the eye, but you've got it about midway between both.

That's the tricky thing. It takes me weeks to get these done. I'm pretty sure I could speed up if there was money and deadlines involved, but the sticking point is the drying process. Sometimes you just have to take a couple days off to wait for things to dry.

I'm not sure what i'd charge. Asking for a couple hundred seems fair in terms of the time and effort required, but I don't think many would perceive it as value for money. Then again, most art does go for silly prices, so who knows. I'm also wondering how I could promote myself, and how money might exchange hands. Right now i'm just going to worry about getting a few pieces under my belt, because obviously I need to be able to prove myself to prospective customers before anything can happen.

Woo. What sorta thing would you be after? Please say Toshiro Mifune, because I was planning on doing him next. :lol:

I joke of course, whatever you like!

Btw, i'm wondering what you might consider a reasonable size? The two pieces i've done so far are 18*14 inches, which is a few inches bigger than A3.

I'd value those paintings at the £400 mark I reckon. I've seen stuff of similar or lower standard go for sometimes more at student degree shows. "Professional" artists seem to get away with charging even more. If you put a high price on something you suggest to the potential buyer that it's a very desirable thing, and since most people don't really have a clue about art, they'll either baulk at the price, or they'll think "oh wow, at that price it must be great. I should be seen to buy this."

Call me cynical, but I'm not the only person who thinks like this. I love your paintings, incidentally. I hope to dabble with oil painting REALLY soon. I'm applying for a degree in painting in a couple of months at Glasgow. I need to beef up the folio real soon for that. Flip!

Hmm, agreeing with what you say. I think £400 wouldn't be too unreasonable if I painted on larger canvases. I'm gunna try working up to bigger sizes soon. I have a much larger canvas sitting in the background waiting...

Paradigm pm'd!

Slowly but surely building up the definition... moving from the right to the left side of the hand at the moment. As you can see, i've revised the thumb greatly. It was very wrong before.

liz03.jpg

Can't wait to get stuck into the hair!! :lol:

Edit: For some reason the camera seems to add a lot of 'blue' around the bottom areas... It's not blue at all, trust me.