rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Number 28

Oil painting

Very cool. Inspried by Bacon by any chance (with the triptych format and all that?) I would agree that those marks do make the piece look better, but I understand why you aren't comfortable with them. Those marks aren't going to be what your style is about and perhaps being honest about inconsistencies might be better when you look back at things.

Very cool. Inspried by Bacon by any chance (with the triptych format and all that?) I would agree that those marks do make the piece look better, but I understand why you aren't comfortable with them. Those marks aren't going to be what your style is about and perhaps being honest about inconsistencies might be better when you look back at things.

A couple more from me:

4538907101_c1b189dbdd_b.jpg

Yeah, very inspired by Francis Bacon. It's something I need to try and get away from a bit, if I'm being honest ;) Totally obsessed with his work. I love him.

But yeah, this is how the third piece came out:

97a433cf.jpg

Pretty pleased with it as a standalone piece, but I have to say that the three don't sit together particularly well as a triptych. I've since had the idea to display this new one alongside the vague shoulder/back sort of figure (because of the similar marks mostly) as a diptych, and have the old woman completely separate, as a standalone piece. The unfortunate thing is that my colleagues and I don't really have that big a space to exhibit in, so I might be forced into displaying just one image. Unfortunately for me, this single image isn't even particularly my favourite one (the vague shoulder/back/torso), but rather this new mask-like one. The reason being is that it ties in surprisingly well when displayed alongside a colleague's illustration piece - strikingly similar colour palette and composition, although her piece is very much like a humorous cartoon/comic/illustration sort of look. Almost twee. Despite this very different aesthetic, they work real well beside eachother. So similar, yet completely different, but with kinda similar subject matter. Weird. When stars and planets like that begin to allign, it's sometimes a good idea to just go with it. So, yeah... I might have to sacrifice my favourite piece for the sake of the show. We'll see how it goes. It's installed for real, hammer and nails, tomorrow, with the opening tomorrow night. Should be interesting.

Haha, that's ace. Sort of reminds me of when you'd get those 80s horror effects of light bursting out of someone's face.

4170562300_427f3e0926_o.png

I've since had the idea to display this new one alongside the vague shoulder/back sort of figure (because of the similar marks mostly) as a diptych, and have the old woman completely separate, as a standalone piece.

As much as I them the old lady, I think that's a wise move. That one feels 'heavier' than the other two, for want of a better word.

That one feels 'heavier' than the other two, for want of a better word.

Exactly right. It's plain to see, in fact. Practically everyone who has seen the works together has said the same thing. It's funny, because the old woman was the initial idea (one that I drew a mock-up of on Photoshop, waaaay before I came in here asking about oil painting on spraypaint), and it's the one I've had in mind for months, and it's the one I spent the best part of a week painting. The whole time, I felt like it'd be the key centre piece or something, and the other two parts of this prospective triptych were literally an after-thought. Pieces I just chucked together without too much planning. Yet they're the far more successful outcomes. It's a funny ol' game. You can really see the more carefree, haphazard approach to the other paintings, while the old woman is a total "colour in between the lines" job. Very contrived, considered and precious. I think I've discovered that ain't me.