rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Joyrex-J9

Tomb Raider: Underworld

Anyway, back on TR:A for a mo.

Just played the first two levels. Verdict: fucking hell yeah.

Shit is so tight I can't believe it. The tombs are incredible. Feel more like real places than they ever have before. The design work is through the roof. The attention to detail is incredible. The music is astonishing. I've had several scares, despite (incredibly) still remembering where some of them would be. What a triumph this game is.

High five, Crystal Dynamics.

Is this the first time you've played it?

You're in for a treat...

Oh and those trailers look the nuts

Holy shit that new TR looks fantastic...

played and compelted TR:A, TR:Legend and TR1 on PS1 but Not the other TR games as they were never as magic (i.e. there were a bit shit for different reasons)

this looks the part ... I completed Uncharted as well but thats just a pretender to the crown.

I want it now,now,now!!!.... and I'm not even a pre-pubescent... been playing games since the late 70's... and completed very few games in that time... so three from one franchise is a bit special.

Is this the first time you've played it?

You're in for a treat...

Well, no. I have seen bits and bobs of it, and a few entire levels whilst at my boyfriend's place.

I went wild for it then, it's quality just screams out of the screen, but now i've actually got it at my place, and am obviously playing it all the way through.

I think it's an absolute triumph. The tombs are excellent, the atmosphere lush, lots of little spikes of action and drama. Pure videogame. Lara is a legend.

Oh and those trailers look the nuts

Totally. See what I mean about the anims?

Looks they're pushing the enviroment interaction as well, just as they promised. The levels are looking less and less like videogame abstractions with every incarnation. The graphics are superb. Oh man, I'm excited.

New trailer

Shows of the slow motion "adrenaline moments" or whatever they're called lol

They're not the slo-mo adrenaline moments. The stuff in that video, bouncing off enemies in slo-mo was something you could do in Legend and Anniversary.

Still, looking good though, I have to say.

My bad, I had read that the head shots from anniversary were being replaced with these adrenaline moments when in combat, pretty much like whats happening in the trailer. If this isn't the case then I may have misunderstood!

It's the QTEs that are being replaced with the adrenaline moments. So instead of a random series of button presses to get through a section, time slows down but you still have complete control of Lara to get clear of the impending danger. At least, that's what I understand it to be.

Oh, yeah, and the staggering/buckling after that jump is great.

Joyrex say something about the new footage before my head pops.

Joyrex say something about the new footage before my head pops.

;)

Well I think it's all a natural progression from Anniversary, not a major step up in graphical wow (I've not seen anything in those trailers that wasn't possible in TR:A or TR:Legend) but still looking very, very nice. The interaction with the vegetation for example is a small thing but it's those small things that can make a good game into a brilliant game. They've obviously watched Uncharted with jealous eyes and up'ed the animation front, Lara is moving more naturally than ever before, things like the stumble are more or less pinched from Uncharted.

But who cares, Uncharted has injected some healthy competition for TR to be compared against, stopped the devs getting lazy (probably why the series stagnated in the past was the lack of direct competition), as TR fans we can only benefit I think.

The tigers were a bit cartoony. Good - I don't want half photorealistic tigers taking me into the Uncanny Valley.

Still one or two things remain to be seen; Amount of combat; everyone is more or less universally agreed this needs to be low. The underwater sections I've seen in a few trailers/previews worry me; underwater control and combat is generally frustrating, they either need to keep these sections small/short or absolutely nail the controls & camera.

All in all, I'm hyped. I might even hold this one back as a xmas prezzie to myself, so I can enjoy it with my feet up over the hols. An honour only previously bestowed on Super Mario Galaxy. :(

Anyway, back on TR:A for a mo.

Just played the first two levels. Verdict: fucking hell yeah.

Shit is so tight I can't believe it. The tombs are incredible. Feel more like real places than they ever have before. The design work is through the roof. The attention to detail is incredible. The music is astonishing. I've had several scares, despite (incredibly) still remembering where some of them would be. What a triumph this game is.

High five, Crystal Dynamics.

excellent. I got this a few days ago but haven't had the chance to play it. A long hung over session tomorrow, I think.

The tigers were a bit cartoony.

That's exactly what I thought after watching the gameplay video yesterday, except more in a "Tigers, lol" sense. That and the other one where she's swimming on the surface of the water, it does look as though the character's not moving and the environment is simply scrolling over her.

Lara's animations look incredibly fluid in the trailer, although not quite so much in the gameplay videos.

Hang on just realised what a totally lame name this has got.

Underworld?

Is the game set in some massive subterranean cave system? - No (least not entirely).

Is Lara going undercover in the criminal underworld? - No.

Don't understand the 'underworld' tag - unless it's something we've not seen yet. Maybe a better name than "Tomb Raider 7" but I dunno.

She's going into the underworld as she needs to see Thor so she can borrow his hammer to kill a god? AKA

Natla

. One of the previous trailers was quite dark saying that "Some tombs should never be opened" etc so perhaps it's quite a dark storyline.

I still want to know why Croft mansion

explodes

in the other previous trailer.

Hmmm tenuous but you are probably right.

Just nothing we've seen so far (Thailand & the watery bits) has any "underworld" feel to it.

Small nit picky point I know, but ...

Nah, it's a fair point. We have seen two maybe three levels? There is so much more to see yet ;)

I wonder what the underworld in the title refers to...

It's supposed to be different mythological hells, right? And probably to do with the fact that this isn't supposed to be a light and breezy adventure, but the path Lara follows is supposed to be endangering humanity or something.

It's all to do with those portals from Legend, I think?

I guess Lara's going to have to find them or artifacts associated with various lands of the dead to work the gates to find her mother.

It's all to do with those portals from Legend

Now Legend wasn't an bad game, but I can't remember a single thing about the plot. It could have been Lara's quest for a really good cheese and wouldn't have made any difference. ;)

Underworld?

Er the world underneath our own, the ancient world?

And then there's the whole issue of Hell.

I remember the important plot points of Legend - I thought the story was really good, personally. I was desperate to see the next part of the story, what with had happened to

Lara's mother.

I liked the way to the ends of the story, ie Lara's childhood loss and her life (quest?) today were brought together.

Here's another thing, while I'm at it - I thought Lara's performance, as it were, in Legend was excellent.

When she shoots her gun next to wosserface's head and screams ''WHERE. IS. MY. MOTHER!?'' I was all ooooh a bit of bite for once.

Actually here it is:

Amanda Evert: You idiot! You ruined everything!

Lara Croft: All these years I blamed myself, and it was you! You killed her!

Amanda Evert: Killed her? She's not dead! She went where I was supposed to go! Where you could have gone!

Lara Croft: Make sense right now or I swear I will execute you right where you stand!

Amanda Evert: I told you to pull out the sword. I TOLD YOU!

Lara Croft: [firing her gun] WHERE... IS... MY... MOTHER?

Amanda Evert: AVALON! It's not a myth. Don't you get it? You'll never understand. I'm wasting my breath.

[Lara knocks Amanda out with the end of her gun]

Lara Croft: From this moment, your every breath is a gift from me.

Lara's facial animation is superb - she looks and sounds deadly serious. God, I love Lara.

And then there's the whole issue of Hell.

Lara goes to hell, hmmmmm it's going to be one of those lava levels!

I really hope it's not as literal as that.

Lara goes to hell, hmmmmm it's going to be one of those lava levels!

I really hope it's not as literal as that.

Erm Hell is more than a bit of a lava, isn't it?

I don't know what you're fretting about. Underworld obviously refers to the ancient world beneath ours, Lara will be uncovering that in this game, leading to all sorts of things.

I've installed Anniversary PC after a spot of yarring and the game works fine but crashes every time I try to play the mansion bit.

What's up with that then? Anyone ever had the same thing?

If they brought Toby Gard in to during the early stages of making Legend, would you reckon they'd have brought him back for Anniversary?

So far, they've not flagged up if he's had anything to do with this new one. Makes you wonder what he's up to these days.

Man, it must have sucked to devoted all those years to Galleon, only for it to tank and be ignored. Not only that, but to then have SotC come out and pull off many of your gameplay dynamics in a much more successful way.

Oh, that's gotta be painful.

Probably. But then, [sacrilege]I enjoyed Galleon far more than I did SOTC.[/sacrilege]

Gard works there now doesn't he? I don't believe he was simply drafted in for the early stages, and then sent packing.

I'm pretty sure it's him doing the commentary in Anniversary, so, he's still around.

Probably. But then, [sacrilege]I enjoyed Galleon far more than I did SOTC.[/sacrilege]

Man, let the blood bath commence ....

Since I bought up Toby, any developers on this forum know what happened to Paul Douglas, the lead programmer on Tomb Raider that Toby brought with him when he quit Core Design?

Think he only worked on Galleon for less than 18 months. Having your lead programmer leave is probably why Galleon was so hugely delayed (unless there are some other stories out there).

Completed St Francis' Folly in TR:A.

GOOD LORD.

I don't think we have anything to worry about.

Completed St Francis' Folly in TR:A.

GOOD LORD.

I don't think we have anything to worry about.

so true. My favourite TR level. :P