General chatter - discuss anything here

Asura

My collection, she is growing! It’s been a busy month in the Kelsten household, with many new additions:

Arkham Horror the Living Trading Card Game - Revised Core Edition

Betrayal at House on the Hill 3rd Edition

Destinies

Everdell

Mysterium

Nemesis and all the kick starter bits (thanks to @Lying Cat)

Small World of Warcraft

The Thing

World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King Pandemic

Zombicide 2nd Edition

81691FC3-EA43-4E46-9E82-DF31D4AE48BA.thumb.jpeg.ef6a134abd8c51fcf43f1c9b583ec377.jpeg

:D

• 4 weeks later...
On 09/10/2022 at 19:25, Captain Kelsten said:

My collection, she is growing! It’s been a busy month in the Kelsten household, with many new additions:

Arkham Horror the Living Trading Card Game - Revised Core Edition

Betrayal at House on the Hill 3rd Edition

Destinies

Everdell

Mysterium

Nemesis and all the kick starter bits (thanks to @Lying Cat)

Small World of Warcraft

The Thing

World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King Pandemic

Zombicide 2nd Edition

81691FC3-EA43-4E46-9E82-DF31D4AE48BA.thumb.jpeg.ef6a134abd8c51fcf43f1c9b583ec377.jpeg

:D

How is Stuffed Fables? I was looking at that as a possible game to get for my 7 year old. 

3 hours ago, Mortis said:

Unfortunately the same criticism that you can level against mice and mystics as well. 

Which is very true. 

But it’s even more odd for Stuffed Fables given the nature of the game and seeming like it’s perfect gateway drug to get young kids into board games, teach them valuable life lessons such as the transition to their own room etc, but then it’s not exactly easy to play. 

@Hylian I would say it’s probably far too complicated for a seven year old, really. It’s billed as being for 12+ despite the cutesy setting. 

3 hours ago, Mortis said:

Unfortunately the same criticism that you can level against mice and mystics as well. 

Yup. I’ve had that set up a few times then backed out and returned it to the shelf. I happily play much more complicated games, but there’s just something about it. A disconnect between it looking like it should be a breezy, light dungeon crawl that’s done in an hour, when in actual fact it’s unnecessarily fiddly and you’ll be sat there for two or three hours. 

It’s odd, because I’ll sit and play Descent or Oathsworn for that length of time, but they look and feel like they should be as weighty as they are. Hard to explain, makes no sense really but I know what I mean.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone else getting Heat Pedal to the Metal? The new game from the Flamme rouge designer. Mine arrived yesterday, it's a beautiful production and looks a little more tactical than Flamme rouge. It includes lots of expansion modules right there in the main box too like weather, championship mode, cards to customise your car and a simple to implement AI system.

On 19/11/2022 at 21:49, shynra said:

It's on my list, just have too many games still unplayed so will add it to my 2023 list. Let us know how you like it? 

Just played yesterday! I thought it was great. It is definitely a lot crunchier than Flamme Rouge, it doesn't really compare to it despite a few shared rules. Heat is much more about planning ahead and making choices of where to put your car/how much to push etc. The complexity is still medium-low but there a few more fiddly rules. I would put Flamme Rouge out in a casual family setting but hesitate with this. A definite keeper for me and I can't wait to play more and 'get better', there were a few interesting tactics emerging in our game around cornering.

• 1 month later...

As a complete noob a table top games I really want to give it a try. Any advise on a starter game? I've seen HeroQuest which looks intriguing. I made Warhammer models in the past and done some painting but never got into the game, it just looked far to complex and just really enjoyed the making and painting. 

HeroQuest is probably only good if you have some level of nostalgia for the original. It's very, very basic and I say that as someone that enjoys it. I'd go with one of the classic 'gateway games' like Carcassonne or Forbidden Island, or if you want something a touch more interesting and modern, there's stuff like Project L or Sagrada, and Ravensburger have hit some home runs recently with Horrified and Alien Fate of the Nostromo, and I believe their Jaws game is also meant to be really good.

4 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

HeroQuest is probably only good if you have some level of nostalgia for the original. It's very, very basic and I say that as someone that enjoys it. I'd go with one of the classic 'gateway games' like Carcassonne or Forbidden Island, or if you want something a touch more interesting and modern, there's stuff like Project L or Sagrada, and Ravensburger have hit some home runs recently with Horrified and Alien Fate of the Nostromo, and I believe their Jaws game is also meant to be really good.

+1 for this. I have HeroQuest but it's mainly for the nostalgia and also because I knew it would be a good gateway game to play with my son. 

Also will you be playing solo or have you got willing players? Do you want a competitive or co-op game? Is there a particular franchise you like - if so then chances are there might be a game of it. A good theme that you already like can really enhance a game. 

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

As a complete noob a table top games I really want to give it a try. Any advise on a starter game? I've seen HeroQuest which looks intriguing. I made Warhammer models in the past and done some painting but never got into the game, it just looked far to complex and just really enjoyed the making and painting. 

OK, most important question here is who will you be playing with and how many of them are there? 

18 hours ago, Floyd said:

if you want an easy and accessible co-op type game that’s a bit different but easy to play, Mansions of Madness is great. Descent Legends of the Dark is also ace but a bit pricy.

destinies or Kosmos’ Robin Hood as well.

a more traditional game to start with though would be either Ticket to Ride or Quacks of Qindelburg. Both are easy to play but great fun.

if you’re up for learning a more complex but excellent game - Jaws of the Lion is superb with a great tutorial as well.