General chatter - discuss anything here

Edit - re 7th Continent.

Uncovering the map and then using that knowledge to decipher the curse clues is enjoyable.   Actually completing the curses is drudgery  - a curious combination. 

• 3 weeks later...

I pre-ordered the new Descent Game some time ago even though it's costly and uses an App, and now it's been delayed until at least August, thus becoming instantly and fully justified as "birthday present to self" - the role played by Stellar Horizons last year.

Card Sleeves; 

What do people recommend, particularly if I wanted to buy in bulk, as most of the ones I've seen on Amazon which are recommended are in packs of 150. And at a price of £10 per 150, that's a considerable amount of money if I wanted to sleeve, say, 1000 cards.

I'm not going to be playing in tournaments or anything like that but I would like to play the games & keep the cards in good condition. I do have some games that I could eventually play with my kids in case that makes a difference as far as recommendations go.

I love Dragon Shields. Everything else I've had has been rubbish in comparison and I've sleeved all of my Arkham Horror LCG in clear ones.... but it is insanely expensive. Amazon were selling them at just over £5 for a box of 100 just before Xmas so I bulk bought but even then I don't want to think about cost as it'll make me weep.

I did try some KMC Perfect fit but at the time the difference in price vs the drop in quality just didn't make it worth it. I'm going to have to revisit it at some point though as just getting in to Marvel Champions and there's no way I'm shelling out all over again for that game.

So basically what you're saying is that 150 decent sleeves for circa £10 isn't actually that terrible, jeez!

So most people who sleeve all their cards end up paying basically the same as they paid for the game again to protect them, it just sounds crazy. :wacko:

You might be able to get away with Penny Sleeves (or Soft Sleeves) from someone like Ultrapro. There were deals on those at something like £20 for 1000 but looks like stocks are low right now.

I found they were a case of you get what you pay for - to me they were cheap for a reason and prone to splitting easily (they're designed to be put inside thicker outers for people who like to double sleeve).

I tend to use Mayday Premium sleeves, I've had many of the different sized ones for various games and never had a problem, the green ones I use for most games are only about 2 quid for 50 from Gameslore and I've always been pretty happy with them and their price. Just make sure you get the premium ones if you were to go down that route. The non premium ones are as garbage as the ultra pro penny sleeves and in the end make playing a game more difficult as they just stick together (my opinion, your milage may vary).

I started sleeving marvel champions in the more expensive FFG sleeves and annoyingly they stopped making them, the mayday premiums feel just as good as them but annoyingly are a little bit shorter than the FFG ones, technically means they are a better fit but also is slightly noticeable so need to go back and replace the FFG ones and sleeve the rest of my MC collection, that alone is looking requires about 70 quid worth of those sleeves and that's with a bunch of them here...

Since giving up buying boardgames (it's for the best) I've moved into boardgame accessories, and I got a good few wodges of sleeves from https://www.bgextras.co.uk/.   Way under the prices I've seen on Amazon, similar to Gameslore, looks like.  They only do Mayday, Sleeve Kings or Swan though.  I've mostly gone for Mayday as a relatively ubiquitous brand that seems to cover all the sizes well.  Got a couple of packs of Sleeve Kings as an experiment - slightly more in a pack, and thickness somewhere between Standard and Premium while still being Standard price, so could be a sweet spot.

Whether I actually think sleeves are a good idea is still undecided - if they don't fit quite right they're horrible, but if you have to shuffle things a lot they're amazing!  They do slip and slide around the place though, and are harder to stack (I've got a couple of nice wooden dispenser things too).  I like the feeling of everything being protected from spills and sticky children!

I'm  not a sleever by default but they come in handy either when there is a small solo deck which is constantly reshuffled, or where there is  a market which is slid from from one side to fill gaps (Pax Pamir, vampire which came already sleeved etc).

1 hour ago, jonnyalpha said:

@frumiousYou've given up!? Are you going to the meetings? Does it get easier? 

:lol: I finally listened to the wife properly, gave up for Lent, and and have kept it going.  One Kickstarter has arrived since then, but that's Officially Allowed.  No meetings or reparations, but like a lot of addictions I think it helps having the additional incentive not to break the current streak, when, for example, I find myself browsing certain Facebook Groups again with every sign of enjoyment...

We've played quite a lot of games recently, I think this may represent the most productive period in terms of tackling the Many Shelves of Shame in my history!

I'm still a bit of a Sleeve Noob, but I have just done a decent like-for-like test of Mayday Standard vs Mayday Premium vs Sleeve Kings - essentially it's made me vow not to get MD Standard ever again, the comparison does them no favours, bit of an air of clingfilm about them.  MD Premium vs Sleeve Kings is much less pronounced, I think I'd generally go for Premium but wouldn't feel bad about getting SK for budgetary reasons if something had a ridiculous number of cards.

Originally my thinking was games where you have big stacks might benefit from thinner sleeves, but probably that's pretty rare, and I like dispensers anyway (got some of these, smart with cool magnets: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/463817200/card-dispensers-sleeved-unsleeved-cards?ga_search_query=card+dispenser&ref=market_qv_organic_view_1_1).

I have a weird relationship with sleeves. I use to want to keep things pristine, but now I actually enjoy seeing the signs of wear on components, a bit. (Obviously not if it's a blind draw deck that you can recognise the damaged back of).

I sleeved all my Netrunner cards. Christ, what a ballache (and expense).  I'd sleeve the deck I was taking to play someone if there was prissy-ness over recognising marked cards... But I just don't play anyone like that.

I'm now the same with boxes. They can have shelf wear/dinks.  And expansions can be bagged up and thrown in the main box. It's all good.

Marvel Champions;

Picked this up the other week & just going through the learn to play decks / booklet solo with the Spider-Man deck. 

During the villain’s Boost phase, if I reveal a card with an action, e.g. Hydra Bomber, do I do the action as well as adding +1 to the threat / scheme?

Also, on a similar point, if I reveal a Treachery card during the Boost phase, they don’t have an icon in the corner so do I do the action instead?

No just use the boost icons if I remember correctly @ph0rce not the actual card.

If a card has no icons it just counts as zero towards its the attack/scheme. As far as I can remember the treachery cards are only played as a treachery card when you draw one for yourself each villain phase after the attack/scheme part.

Edit - if you get a star as a boost icon you will need to do the star part of the card.

Ok, that helps me out as I did both in my first game, which I lost comprehensively & I can now blame that loss completely on that misunderstanding!

:lol:

EDIT

Lost second game too, ended up with two side schemes in play, one with acceleration & got the Eviction Notice card which swapped me back to Peter, and then an avalanche of scheming happened. 

I assume once I reach the end of my deck, I just reshuffle the discard pile & keep going?

Finally won a game on the sixth time of trying, and even that was down to the wire. 

Realised afterwards that I didn’t use the ability to draw a card whenever Spider-Man is attacked at all, which would have made things a bit easier & I have a sneaking suspicion that I forget to add the +1 threat at the start of the villain turn a couple of times. 

Good stuff though, going to stick with Spider-Man until I get all the phases / actions right & then try the Captain Marvel one. 

• 2 weeks later...

I used to sleeve all my arkham cards and it became a complete ballache... especially since most of the cards barely get touched and sit in a box anyway.  Modern good quality cards with a weave through them are very hard wearing, feel nice in the hand and slide well for shuffling.  I don't sleeve anymore.  Life's too short.

In other news, I've just bought Killforge to play with the wee man.  Feels like a CCG I can get into without chasing boosters and all that shite.

I've gone for the £51 quid pledge on Monster Hunter as well.  Looks ace.