General chatter - discuss anything here

To be fair the Super battle rules are really awful for a simple game - my rules are basically what works beat for the group I’m playing with. If we play at the games group we make single walls not overlap, if I’m playing with the family we play it with the “easier” version as it lets the game run longer and is more fun for my kid. 

Bought Zombie Kids Evolution which we had a lot of fun with. The game changes the more you play - at certain checkpoints/number of games played you open envelopes which change the rules or add modifiers etc. 

The first game we won with ease. “This is too easy!” my 7 year old exclaimed. When then lost the next two games on the bounce because one room of the school got overrun and we ran out of the reserve ones. 

Good fun, though! 

On 01/12/2019 at 04:54, Goose said:

I'm making a game - Kids Against Maturity - it's Cards against Humanity, but for kids, and with bonus cards and things. Still working on the cutting and printing but it's coming together.

ygyg.jpgkokok.jpgplplp.jpggygyg.jpg

Looking for board games on Amazon and saw Kids Against Maturity as a suggestion. Can’t be a coincidence, surely? Amazing, well done!

^ that's neat, might look into that.

Edit - Q&A on Amazon for Kids against Maturity made me giggle

image.png.b342f4116ffb7e5f275d4e657983f3d0.png

I've been really intrigued by Sleeping Gods - Ryan Laukat's new open world story-based adventure. It sounds incredibly appealing to me in both solo and multi, though I have concerns about the amount of space and time needed to play...two things I lack.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/255984/sleeping-gods

Having never done a kickstarter before, how do these things usually play out if I missed the initial opportunity? Is there a chance it'll hit retail or do I need to wait for another round of kickstarting?

3 minutes ago, PeteJ said:

^ that's neat, might look into that.

Edit - Q&A on Amazon made me giggle!

image.png.b342f4116ffb7e5f275d4e657983f3d0.png

I've been really intrigued by Sleeping Gods - Ryan Laukat's new open world story-based adventure. It sounds incredibly appealing to me in both solo and multi, though I have concerns about the amount of space and time needed to play...two things I lack.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/255984/sleeping-gods

Having never done a kickstarter before, how do these things usually play out if I missed the initial opportunity? Is there a chance it'll hit retail or do I need to wait for another round of kickstarting?

I've got Sleeping Gods pre-ordered from Meeples Corner - no payment required upfront.

https://meeplescorner.co.uk/product/sleeping-gods-board-game/

Kickstarters really vary.  Some have no retail distribution but may have retailer level pledges where small quantities will trickle through.  Others go to retail, possibly at lower cost.  Most campaigns re-open for pledges at around the time the pledge manager opens but that timeframe varies quite a bit too - often 2-3 months after close but can be later.  So, hard to generalise.

6 hours ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

I've got Sleeping Gods pre-ordered from Meeples Corner - no payment required upfront.

https://meeplescorner.co.uk/product/sleeping-gods-board-game/

Kickstarters really vary.  Some have no retail distribution but may have retailer level pledges where small quantities will trickle through.  Others go to retail, possibly at lower cost.  Most campaigns re-open for pledges at around the time the pledge manager opens but that timeframe varies quite a bit too - often 2-3 months after close but can be later.  So, hard to generalise.

Thanks, much appreciated. Might take a punt with a pre-order though I'm still unsure if I have the time or space...

• 2 weeks later...

For the last year I’ve been playing Twilight Struggle online every week with my friend. It’s been brilliant. But I think I’m ready to try something different. Any suggestions for reasonably meaty games good for 2 players with reasonable digital implementations? I’m on Mac. I do have an unused copy of Tabletop Simulator.

If you enjoy TS you may also like Watergate - it’s lighter than TS but uses a similar card driven mechanic. 
 It’s up on TTS and I think also coming to board game arena in the future.  

Was literally just about to post Watergate. Also if you like Twilight Struggle, 1960: The Making of the President is a must.

My personal pick for meaty 2-player if you want something maybe a bit heavier though: War of the Ring

40 minutes ago, Graham S said:

I enjoyed Slay the Spire and I’ve never played Magic the Gathering or anything like that. Are there any decent digital deck building games for two players?

I'd suggest Star Realms. That apparently has a great digital version. It was I think my favourite 2-player deck builder in terms of physical games.

I'll stick a hand up for Epic Card Game, as a good two player (MtG) alternative. The app is free too.

And Race For The Galaxy works well too, if you don't mind a feeling of multiplayer solitaire tableau building.

I would suggest you get yourself an account on Boardgamearena. The free account allows you to do a lot and a premium account which gives access to all the games including beta titles is about £24 annually. Only one of you needs to be a premium member for you to both play premium games.

There is a brilliant implementation of Clans of Caledonia which works well with 2. Targi is a fantastic 2 player only game which is much more thinky than it initially appears. There are versions of Teotihuacan which is a great game, La Granja, Terra Mystica, Marco Polo and many others. We've been playing Welcome to on there recently which is a quick roll and write type game which has been fun and quick.

I tried TTS and Tabletopia early on in lockdown but they were so much more fiddly compared to the games on BGA which include automatic setup and the rules built in so you can't make mistakes.

4 hours ago, Graham S said:

I enjoyed Slay the Spire and I’ve never played Magic the Gathering or anything like that. Are there any decent digital deck building games for two players?

Have you tried Dominion Online? 

On 27/02/2021 at 11:40, Benny said:

My personal pick for meaty 2-player if you want something maybe a bit heavier though: War of the Ring

Have you played this online? There is a Java client but that omits the character cards to ensure you both have a £90 box of plastic you're not using. It is on TTS, so I might be able to gather that info myself, although it's not easily found. I'm trying to figure out if it's worth navigating all of that, as well as learning how to play.

41 minutes ago, Graham S said:

Have you played this online? There is a Java client but that omits the character cards to ensure you both have a £90 box of plastic you're not using. It is on TTS, so I might be able to gather that info myself, although it's not easily found. I'm trying to figure out if it's worth navigating all of that, as well as learning how to play.

I love the physical game and I've seen this for TTS but haven't used it myself: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=854760179

Maybe it's not as easily done online as I thought it might be.

It's certainly possible, just looks a bit fiddly. I reckon it might be the sort of thing that if you've already learned to play with the physical board game that it's easier to transfer that knowledge online. The game itself looks like the sort of thing I'm looking for. Looks good two player, it satisfies my desire for an interesting story, satisfying meaty like we can be playing it for another year.

I've just received a copy of My City from Amazon.  I was just wondering, is The Eternal Game any good?  I know not to play it now, unless I spoil the early game by opening a couple of the legacy game envelopes, I was just curious.  If the game that came out was just The Eternal Game rules and components, would it still be a worthwhile purchase and would people still hold it in as high regard?

I think the eternal game still needs you to get to the halfway point of the legacy game. It would be a decent little game at that point but part of the fun as always is opening envelopes, putting stickers down and having to adjust to new rules. 

We haven't played te eternal games so can't quite remember at which point it's based on. I think it would be ok, but just for that you'd be as well off looking at other tile placement games.

Going to try Labyrinth: War on Terror as our post Twilight Struggle comedown. I'm finding the assumptions / neocon model of the world in the rulebook a little offensive, but it's got a digital version, is possibly a gateway into the designer's COIN series of games, and seems to share a lot of mechanics with TS. As I've developed an edge in TS in our games, the unfamiliarity of the cards etc should level the playing field again. I'm still attracted to War of the Ring, but I think we'd have to get good with Tabletop Simulator first (and maybe transition to the java client later). I'm also keen on exploring CCGs at some point, I see there's an unlicensed netrunner client at https://www.jinteki.net/cards to add to the suggestions upthread. But one thing at a time.

11 hours ago, phresh said:

We haven't played te eternal games so can't quite remember at which point it's based on. I think it would be ok, but just for that you'd be as well off looking at other tile placement games.

We will probably be burnt out on it after the campaign anyway.  It isn't something I'm in a rush to try out, just a curiosity thing really.

We played a chapter every week (one or two weeks missed in between) and that was almost perfect pacing. You never felt forced to play it, in fact quite the opposite. We haven't had a crack at the eternal game yet, but will do at some point i'm sure.

We've been playing it in chunks, first time was 9 games and second time was 6, 3 more chapters/envelopes to go. Been really enjoying it and liked what they've added so far (no spoilers), I've gone from miles behind in points to being pretty much equal at this point, I think the catch up mechanism is obviously working and like how they've done it. Maybe will finish off the last three chapters this weekend.

Haven't played the eternal game and feel like I'd go to other polyomino games before my city in that case, once we are done I'll likely shelve my city until I'm ready to play through it again at 2 player using the other half of the stickers.

I've noticed the cards in a few of my games are ever so slightly curved.  Is this due to humidity, will flattening them under some heavy books and packing some silica gel bags in the boxes help prevent this?

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to @jonnyalpha
I was able to play 7th Continent over the weekend. A really curious thing, incredibly clever, but not actually fun. I was playing properly (except no hand limit), during tutorial island, until I realised I needed to backtrack to get a cog. Only a few squares, but given the length of time I'd been playing anyway, and that most of that was card administration, I just cheated and warped there and back.

The game is incredibly long, and full of admin tasks. Multiple times you are told to return the cards, which is painstaking. They've done a remarkable job recreating a basic survival videogame, but at no point give a reason to actually play it.

Overall it feels like the designers were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should.