General chatter - discuss anything here

@Doctor Shark

Exploding Kittens is where you went wrong. It's never been highly regarded, its popular certainly but that's because of name recognition, and kittens, not quality of game. It's also gained traction as a party/drinking game along with Cards against Humanity. Neither of these are well regarded or great games. Its an exceedingly random game so don't get put off card/board games by this experience.

I'm sorry if I'm coming off as a boardgame snob but I'm sure you can think of similar popular, well known videogame titles that are ultimately not very good. 

If you want to give family tabletop games another try without going mad on price then consider Karuba, Honga, Kingdomino or Adventure Land. All family friendly but with a lot more to them. 

1 hour ago, jonnyalpha said:

@Doctor Shark

Exploding Kittens is where you went wrong. It's never been highly regarded, its popular certainly but that's because of name recognition, and kittens, not quality of game. It's also gained traction as a party/drinking game along with Cards against Humanity. Neither of these are well regarded or great games. Its an exceedingly random game so don't get put off card/board games by this experience.

I'm sorry if I'm coming off as a boardgame snob but I'm sure you can think of similar popular, well known videogame titles that are ultimately not very good. 

If you want to give family tabletop games another try without going mad on price then consider Karuba, Honga, Kingdomino or Adventure Land. All family friendly but with a lot more to them. 

Thanks man. Don’t think you’re being a snob, you clearly know your stuff so I bow to your knowledge on this one. I’ll definitely check out those other games, thanks for the recommendations!

Exploding Kittens is one of those games my non-board gaming friends think is great. I know for a fact if I tried to teach them Carcassonne or Ascension they'd glaze over and be bored. Fucking philistines.

There are so many good games out there for not much money, it just depends how many people you have and the level of experience. Or if you have someone in your group who's out off by the theme of something.

23 hours ago, Stejay said:

My wife and I played our first two games of Bärenpark last night, winning one each.  She really enjoyed it, me not as much.  I don't normally mind kind of Solitaire type competitive games where you build something yourself.  I love Sagrada and Azul for example, but this was somehow lacking in interactivity for me.  Being our first couple of games, we didn't play with any achievements which I think will add what was missing for me, but at the moment, if just two of us, I'd rather get Patchwork out.

The expansion is really good, although doesn't do anything to change the overall feel of the game so may not help. I think Cottage Garden might be a bit more competitive, but can't for the life of me remember it's been so long since we last played it.

3 hours ago, phresh said:

The expansion is really good, although doesn't do anything to change the overall feel of the game so may not help. I think Cottage Garden might be a bit more competitive, but can't for the life of me remember it's been so long since we last played it.

Yeah, cheers.  I've read good things about the expansion.  As I said though, I'm expecting using the achievements will add enough strategy and competitiveness to improve it for me.  I'll take a look at other suggestions like Cottage Garden if not.

9 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Exploding Kittens is one of those games my non-board gaming friends think is great. I know for a fact if I tried to teach them Carcassonne or Ascension they'd glaze over and be bored. Fucking philistines.

There are so many good games out there for not much money, it just depends how many people you have and the level of experience. Or if you have someone in your group who's out off by the theme of something.

My wife, my 7 year old and myself. Looking for easy things for them to play as my wife isn’t a gamer and my son doesn’t have much experience outside of playing Switch. 

29 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

My wife, my 7 year old and myself. Looking for easy things for them to play as my wife isn’t a gamer and my son doesn’t have much experience outside of playing Switch. 

Rhino Hero Super Battle.

+1 for Rhino Hero.  We (44, 43, 8, 5) have also had recent success with Bank Attack, Echidna Shuffle, Klask (2 or 4), Castle Panic (there's a My First Castle Panic, but it's bobbins for grown-ups), Draftosaurus, Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters, Toy Story: Obstacles & Adventures (bit more hardcore that one), Animals on Board, Dream Home.  Maybe also Kingdomino, Potion Explosion, Quacks of Quedlinburg (although Quacks can take a while).  Some of those are obviously a bit more serious than others!  But the 5yo has done OK in general, so bodes well.

14 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

What about one of the two simpler co-op games, Forbidden Island or Forbidden Desert.  I haven't played Desert myself, but Island certainly is relatively cheap and easy to play but can offer sufficient challenge as well and your 7 year old will probably enjoy the team play aspect.

Ah I actually have that one and yes, it proved very popular! I hadn’t bought desert or skies as they just sounded exactly the same but in a new setting. 

I’ve also bought Mice and Mystics and Stuffed Fables which I’ve been really looking forward to playing but we haven’t found the time yet, sadly. 

Thanks for the recommendations, all. I’ve gone with Rhino Super Hero Battle for now. Glad it wasn’t just me that thought Exploding Kittens was a bit pap. 

18 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

I'd recommend CoraQuest that's currently on Kickstarter (my kids are looking forward to it!) - it's a dungeon crawler but aimed at kids and is customisable. If you want to find out if you'd like it enough to back a copy, going to the www.coraquest.com website you can download a print & play version.

Well I’d like to come out in defence of Exploding Kittens. Son had read about it online, and asked for it for Xmas a couple of years ago, and it’s a firm favourite for him, me and his younger sister (who is now 11).

The way I explain it is that it’s a bit like musical chairs, but you have to collect and use your cards to stop being the one to fall over when the music stops. 

It does take some time to get the hang of, and I’d recommend just playing with one other person for a while, to get the hang of what the different cards are for. 

We’ve had some really exciting games where there is one exploding kitten left and each player is using every card they have, to avoid picking it up. 

The expansions are a bit pointless (we’ve just tried out the barking kittens one), and I think the core set is tighter. 

I certainly wouldn’t put it in the same category as Cards Against Humanity, which is for people who think making jokes about disabled people is the height of entertainment. 

Give it a couple more goes. 

Also, for a kid of 7, have you tried games like good old Labyrinth, or a puzzley game like Quirkle? Both perfectly lovely, accessible games without the weight of a hefty ‘theme’. 

We got Mice & Mystics too, but it’s defo a bit of a slog, despite looking lovely. 

I must say though, as someone who is neither a complete casual (look where I’m posting), nor a hardcore board game enthusiast, the way game producers and players talk about games is starkly different to what I usually like to know about a game, initially. 

Like, I don’t see anyone summing up games in a single sentence, to reel people in.

When people describe regular  games:

“Use your deduction to find out who the murderer is!”

“Buy property and become the richest tycoon!”

“Be the hippo that eats the most things!”

“Go on an adventure in a fantasy world of swords and sorcery!”

When I try and find out what a “board game” is about:

“This is a deck building resource management game where you draft cards over 12 different phases. Oh, and it’s European which is also important. And it’s by Hermann Schlërgfjord, so you know what to expect.”

All fair points, it's easy for some of us to be over-enthusiastic, nerdy, gate-keepery over the whole thing. Something I will try and watch out for in my comments in future.

I've recently been watching a youtube channel called Thinker/Themer, a gaming couple who have very different takes on the games they play. One of them loves a good theme, story or narrative which integrates the actual mechanics of a game so they make sense inside the world they simulate.The other is all about the mechanics of the game whether that is worker placement, card drafting etc while paying little attention to the theme.

The problem for Euro games, which are normally games that don't have large amounts of players attacking each other, is that the theme is often quite flimsy and pasted on which is often overlooked or forgiven if the mechanics are interesting. The theme can be very important and when I'm showing games to friends that would be the bit I would start with but in a forum like this it doesn't help as much.

In Snowdonia we are competing to build the most track and stations as we work to complete the railway up Mount Snowdon. In Everdell we are each trying to build up our forest towns by building and attracting creatures to live there. In Obsession we are trying to increase the reputation of our families, increase our fortunes, invite guests to our estates and arrange a match between one of our children and the wealthy Fairchilds.

You might be interested in one of those themes but you have no idea how it plays or you may not be interested until you heard about the mechanics or the designer.

I'm not interested in trains so Snowdonia sounds a bit dull but in fact it's a quick worker placement game where you send out workers to gather resources, compete to finish contracts and build along the route in a race to get the most points before the game ends. It has an interesting weather mechanic which means on different days certain actions can be more or less efficient. The designer is Tony Boydell who has made a lot of clever games. Now I'm interested even if it is trains.

I like the theme of Everdell and then I find out that it merges worker placement, resource management, card drafting, engine building and tableau building. Sign me up for that stuff, I love all those mechanics.

Obsession is Downton Abbey the boardgame merging clever card play with resource management and tableau building where the theme is seamlessly integrated in every aspect of the game. The cardplay looks interesting but the whole game is so full of story and details that it raises it to another level even if the theme is not of great interest to me personally.

If I told you the next Uwe Rosenberg title was about farming you're not going to be too surprised but you might want to know what was different to justify getting this one compared with his last 3 farming games.

Which was all a very long winded way to say that theme is a very important starting point for a game and will attract some people but the mechanics can be as, or more, important for others. 

Curious for those that have played My City, I've got it but have been holding off starting it as i wanted to wait for more than two players, I'm curious if there is scope for it to be played twice through at two player so I can play it through with my fiancee now and then again with a gaming buddy once COVID allows? I know there are stickers used in the game and suspect that might be where an issue lies but could also just use a sharpie or something to draw them in instead?

As far as I’m aware there’s exactly enough to play the game through twice at 2 if you want - I’m in the same boat, bought this for a quick regular game at the regular game club and it’s sat in the box since it arrived due to covid and have wondered if it’s on the light enough side that either my wife or daughter would play at 2. 

Nice edifice!

I don't want to be That Internet Guy, particularly in the context of recent posts re: gatekeeping etc, but...

Spoiler

I think strictly the rules as intended don't allow for that level of mutual support between bits of floor :( - the idea is that each turn results in a floor and 1 or 2 new walls being added, and the floor is completely supported by those two walls.  That means that each wall only holds up one floor, and if there's only one wall on a floor card it just balances centrally in weird way. It's not incredibly clear in the rulebook, but there's a line about "a little bit of overlap is OK as the game progresses", bit ambiguous (could mean "you can use existing walls but not unsupported lengths of floor"), I think that's meant to stop you worrying about it if you can't avoid it.  You can join "towers" together, but only if you have the right wall sections and floor to place the new walls on either side.

The image on the back of the box looks like a very precarious tower, no overlap! pic3795535.jpg

Of course, I could be completely wrong about that (there's certainly not a consensus on BGG), but I remember investigating it the last time we played, and being a bit disappointed because you end up with less fun and impressive buildings, although it does mean a hilarious collapse is more likely/inevitable, and that's got to count for something. You should certainly play it the way you want to play it!! :D 

4 hours ago, Munkienut said:

Curious for those that have played My City, I've got it but have been holding off starting it as i wanted to wait for more than two players, I'm curious if there is scope for it to be played twice through at two player so I can play it through with my fiancee now and then again with a gaming buddy once COVID allows? I know there are stickers used in the game and suspect that might be where an issue lies but could also just use a sharpie or something to draw them in instead?

4 hours ago, Mortis said:

As far as I’m aware there’s exactly enough to play the game through twice at 2 if you want - I’m in the same boat, bought this for a quick regular game at the regular game club and it’s sat in the box since it arrived due to covid and have wondered if it’s on the light enough side that either my wife or daughter would play at 2. 

We’re just approaching the last chapter. As far as I can tell, you could definitely use the other two boards and all the spare stickers to go through again!

On 05/02/2021 at 18:57, Twinbee said:

Well I’d like to come out in defence of Exploding Kittens.

We’ve had some really exciting games where there is one exploding kitten left and each player is using every card they have, to avoid picking it up. 

I didn't want to be the lone voice here in defending the game, so I kept quiet!  Now that someone else has spoken up, I agree completely and I've had some cracking fun with it over the years.

Defo not suggesting gatekeeping behaviour in this thread, @jonnyalpha - it was just an observation on how games get discussed on here and in other places. I do like how Shut Up and Sit Down are really expressive about how theme and mechanics combine to make an experience and narrative through play. I bought Bargain Quest on the base of their review (and Combo Fighter, and Unmatched…). Other YouTube types like Dice Tower leave me cold. 

That's a great post, @jonnyalpha

I think it's a little unfair to attack the act of describing board games in terms of their designers. There's a bigger discussion about reductivism in general to be had here, but we do it with other forms of entertainment all the time. You can frame someone's expectations if you say "a Wes Anderson film", or "a Neil Gaiman book", or "a David Cage game". It's a useful tool for critics, and we don't generally see film reviewers taking time in their reviews to explain who the likes of James Cameron is. But everyone has to be told who Steven Spielberg is for the first time, and once you've played an Uwe Rosenberg or Eric Lang game or two, then they can be referenced as a descriptive shortcut. Or as a way of plugging into your nostalgia, more likely, but again that's a more general problem with review technique.

As with any medium, the difficulty is with finding a discussion suitable to your level of familiarity, and it's with introducing people to the hobby where I find boardgaming falls in comparison to videogames and other forms of media. As already mentioned, I find Shut Up and Sit Down will occasionally remember to explain what "worker placement" or "deck building" is, but they are probably mindful that the majority of their audience won't need reminding every single time, so every so often they will buck from that trend and geek out a little. The Dice Tower's mission statement is all about growing the hobby, being as inclusive as possible, and welcoming new people, so I find their content much better suited to those just starting to explore what's beyond Monopoly. I'm a massive nerd though, and prefer my content to assume a good degree of familiarity, so I'm unable to offer further recommendations, but I'd be interested to hear from others is they know any good sites or video channels better suited to beginners.

7 hours ago, Stejay said:

I didn't want to be the lone voice here in defending the game, so I kept quiet!  Now that someone else has spoken up, I agree completely and I've had some cracking fun with it over the years.

Dude this is the last thread on this forum where people should feel like they can't speak up on defence of something we're giving a kicking, er, discussing :p

5 hours ago, Twinbee said:

Defo not suggesting gatekeeping behaviour in this thread, @jonnyalpha - it was just an observation on how games get discussed on here and in other places. I do like how Shut Up and Sit Down are really expressive about how theme and mechanics combine to make an experience and narrative through play. I bought Bargain Quest on the base of their review (and Combo Fighter, and Unmatched…). Other YouTube types like Dice Tower leave me cold. 

90% of board game YouTube channels are bad. Well 90% of the ones I've tried to sit through, there's only so much you can stomach before you give up. 

18 hours ago, frumious said:

Nice edifice!

I don't want to be That Internet Guy, particularly in the context of recent posts re: gatekeeping etc, but...

Reveal hidden contents

I think strictly the rules as intended don't allow for that level of mutual support between bits of floor :( - the idea is that each turn results in a floor and 1 or 2 new walls being added, and the floor is completely supported by those two walls.  That means that each wall only holds up one floor, and if there's only one wall on a floor card it just balances centrally in weird way. It's not incredibly clear in the rulebook, but there's a line about "a little bit of overlap is OK as the game progresses", bit ambiguous (could mean "you can use existing walls but not unsupported lengths of floor"), I think that's meant to stop you worrying about it if you can't avoid it.  You can join "towers" together, but only if you have the right wall sections and floor to place the new walls on either side.

The image on the back of the box looks like a very precarious tower, no overlap! pic3795535.jpg

Of course, I could be completely wrong about that (there's certainly not a consensus on BGG), but I remember investigating it the last time we played, and being a bit disappointed because you end up with less fun and impressive buildings, although it does mean a hilarious collapse is more likely/inevitable, and that's got to count for something. You should certainly play it the way you want to play it!! :D 

“Hi I’m new to all this and this is my family’s first game together it was fun!”

”Welcome! You’re doing it wrong!”

:lol:

No worries, man. Will take a closer look at the rules next time.