General chatter - discuss anything here

I've actually used capsules for the Chaos Bag for my Arkham Horror LCG, but hadn't got around to doing the same for the board game. Just typical it would have been the one I was playing when I decided to loose all control of my fingers.

Good idea on the printed token, I'll see if I can track down the artwork somewhere.

• 2 weeks later...

As I'd gone Elder Sign mad over Xmas, I put an order in for the lesser spotted Omens of Ice expansion via Amazon Germany.

Just looked at the tracking to find it's been marked as undeliverable and returned straight to the sender. DPD were supposed to be delivering it but looks like it never left Germany. :angry:

Was my first though, but if you look at DPD's site they say there's no issues. Various news outlets are reporting issues with DPD halting road deliveries from the UK into Europe rather than the other way around. :facepalm:

The Amazon seller says they've not been notified of any issues or returns and they'll look in to it (fair play they got back to me very quick).

I've still got a parcel in limbo from Germany via DHL.  I have received a small item posted from the US and a magazine via Nederlands post so some things are getting through.  The designers have said that any customs duties payable as a result of these delays will be refunded.

On 12/12/2020 at 12:37, The Hierophant said:

Just bought three copies of Pandemic to give to friends for Christmas. Seems appropriate!

Did you buy them from Zaavi?

I bought Pandemic from Zaavi back in December, it was about 20 quid delivered.

Yesterday they emailed me to say they will be refunding my game in full, and have applied £20 of credit to my account as they have found out that some of the copies of Pandemic they sent out didn't meet their quality standards.

A little bit of research later, it turns out they somehow sold a bunch of fake copies of Pandemic. 

All of the parts of the game are there and it plays fine, the quality is reasonable (to be honest, I noticed the pieces were a bit rough around the edges and just assumed cost cutting), but yeah, it's a counterfeit! 

5 hours ago, Freeman said:

Did you buy them from Zaavi?

I bought Pandemic from Zaavi back in December, it was about 20 quid delivered.

Yesterday they emailed me to say they will be refunding my game in full, and have applied £20 of credit to my account as they have found out that some of the copies of Pandemic they sent out didn't meet their quality standards.

A little bit of research later, it turns out they somehow sold a bunch of fake copies of Pandemic. 

All of the parts of the game are there and it plays fine, the quality is reasonable (to be honest, I noticed the pieces were a bit rough around the edges and just assumed cost cutting), but yeah, it's a counterfeit! 

I got mine from Zatu games. Looks okay to me but thank you for the heads up. 

I have always been slightly surprised people counterfeit games. 

The Elder Sign expansion saga from Amazon.de continues.

Fair play the seller's been keeping me up to date and has just messaged to say they still can't resend it through Amazon's marketplace, as it forces them to use DHL or DPD. There's no alerts or issues shown for UK deliveries, or info available from any party on resolving it, they just can't dispatch it. So sounds like either DHL / DPD are giving Amazon the finger, or the other way around, and everyone is just sitting on their hands and staring wistfully into the distance.

I'm going to wait it out as the chances of me getting the expansion anywhere else for a decent price are virtually impossible, but what a royal pain in the fundament this is.

Anyone who voted for this shit deserves to lose all their sanity and have their Doom tracker filled to bursting. Followed immediately by a unspeakably painful visit from an enraged Ancient One that turns them inside out.

They are different enough. Barenpark is reasonably easy to 'complete', and as such doesn't quite have the tetris vibe that Patchwork does. You could also try Patchwork Doodle which is a decent variation.

What I would absolutely recommend though is My City, we're just over halfway through and love it. The legacy mechanics work incredibly well at adding variety without ever making it too complex. It is also much harder to fill every space (at least every space you need to) which makes it feel like a much more challenging puzzle than something like Barenpark. We really like Barenpark too (and the expansion is decent).

Worth looking into Isle of Cats as well, its been our favourite polyomino game for a while now, not played patchwork and patchwork doodle in a while and barenpark hasnt been played in couple years although just picked up the expansion and insert so need to give it another go with that but by all accounts its a worthwhile addition.

I also have My City as mentioned by phresh, heard nothing but good things but havent started it yet! Pretty much every legacy game I've started hasnt been finished so want to choose a good time for it that will see if completed!

It's the first Legacy game i've played, but it's convinced me to look at others. I was concerned that it would end up layering rules on top of rules and it would just get too confusing but it doesn't do that at all.

We've found playing an Episode each weekend has been a perfect distraction. The game reckons 1.5 hours per episode (so 3 games) but that is probably a touch high if you're playing 2 player where it does move a bit quicker. I'm getting excited about playing the next episode now :lol:

3 hours ago, Padster said:

They're quite different really, I would say Patchwork is a more cutthroat contest, although you can still screw your opponent over in Bärenpark. 

Bärenpark looks as if it would be more pleasing to me, more to build towards.  I think I'll bite.

Also, thanks @Munkienut and @phresh for the Isle of Cats and My City recommendations.  I'll take a look at them too.

30 minutes ago, phresh said:

It's the first Legacy game i've played, but it's convinced me to look at others. I was concerned that it would end up layering rules on top of rules and it would just get too confusing but it doesn't do that at all.

The only legacy game we've played so far is Machi Koro Legacy.  It is simple enough, starting out like the base game with the rules involving of course as you'd expect to make a really decent game.  However, we did make a mistake of having a very long lay-off of several months half way through and once we started again it took awhile to recall exactly where we were with it.  It was a bit like that video game you pick up half way through six months later and have no idea where to go and what the controls are.  Basically, my advice, if you start a legacy game, do try and stick to a regular routine with it until completion.

If you're looking for a nice tile game then can I suggest Gingerbread House, by the same designer as Barenpark, which is a lovely tile laying game where you build on your own board to gain resources and complete goal cards.

https://www.diceanddecks.com/board-games-c1/gingerbread-house-p37805/s37810?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=lookout-spiele-gingerbread-house-lk0101&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&cid=GBP&gclid=Cj0KCQiA3smABhCjARIsAKtrg6JCFF-wuMzjNS-D4y5wnzHy7uQmETKznQ7LODfPeE9rqxt_T9ykgcEaAkWwEALw_wcB

17 hours ago, Stejay said:

The only legacy game we've played so far is Machi Koro Legacy.  It is simple enough, starting out like the base game with the rules involving of course as you'd expect to make a really decent game.  However, we did make a mistake of having a very long lay-off of several months half way through and once we started again it took awhile to recall exactly where we were with it.  It was a bit like that video game you pick up half way through six months later and have no idea where to go and what the controls are.  Basically, my advice, if you start a legacy game, do try and stick to a regular routine with it until completion.

I played Machi Koro Legacy with the kids; we all very quickly found that a certain set of cards would be overpowered and I was a bit disappointed that the legacy changes didn't nerf that at some point. But it was fun and the kids loved it.

Now we're working through My City -- a really chilled yet engaging game. We're in the second half now and it really feels like there are numerous ways to score and win.

As for more grown up games, my Pandemic Legacy 2 run is on hiatus what with all the real life pandemic making board game club impossible. And then we'll have Season 0 to do.

And yet, somehow, I'm still keeping an eye out for a copy of Gloomhaven Jaws of the Lion. Even if I play it solo. I just want to see what the fuss is about!

On 28/01/2021 at 18:30, Stejay said:

Bärenpark ordered.

Well, thank you RLLMUK for letting me know what a fuck show the storage is for this game!  The included box divider is a joke, although the included bags do help somewhat.  Looks like I'll be ordering my first custom insert then.

EDIT: Gah!  The Folded Space insert looks great, so I went to order it from Gameslore until I noticed it pushes the box lid off nearly a centimetre!

On 29/01/2021 at 11:58, StephenM said:

And yet, somehow, I'm still keeping an eye out for a copy of Gloomhaven Jaws of the Lion. Even if I play it solo. I just want to see what the fuss is about!

Looks as if this is returning to stock next week eg at Boardgame guru.

1 hour ago, Pelekophoros said:

It's all part of the game!

You're not joking!  It took me ages to figure out how that useless divider included was supposed to fit together because at that point I hadn't seen the diagram on one of the punch boards.

My wife and I played our first two games of Bärenpark last night, winning one each.  She really enjoyed it, me not as much.  I don't normally mind kind of Solitaire type competitive games where you build something yourself.  I love Sagrada and Azul for example, but this was somehow lacking in interactivity for me.  Being our first couple of games, we didn't play with any achievements which I think will add what was missing for me, but at the moment, if just two of us, I'd rather get Patchwork out.

5 hours ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

Excellent.  It's by far the best slice of GH in terms of quality per hour's play and since nothing is destroyed, if you don't like it you can sell it.

Sounds good to me. I will have a Google but, also: if I wanted to kind of dabble with it solo just to see how it works, can I re-start in future with actual real life friends?

Not sure if there's any brutal destruction like, say, a Pandemic Legacy game.

I bought Exploding Kittens. It seems...a bit shit?

I ended up with a hand of cards that needed to be used in pairs, only I had no pairs.

My wife got fed up with the game very quickly.

My seven year old didn't really get it.

It seems highly regarded so I can only assume we weren't doing it 'right'...

Any tips or advice?