General chatter - discuss anything here

I know it’s a legal nightmare, but I’m still genuinely baffled that no one has tried to untangle the mess and print money. 

I’m lucky enough to still have my Heroquest, and it’s still really, really great - the quality of everything, the simple rules, the family-friendliness. It’s got it all, man. 

10 hours ago, Spatial said:

I'm in charge of a huge f'off mechanised suit of armour... time to leave my scantily clad body hanging out the front of it :ph34r:

I have a massive fucking axe to grind with shit like that. It bothers me on some fundamental level I don't quite understand. I like to think the Penitent Engines are GW's ironic response to that shit,

On 30/08/2020 at 17:30, Cosmic_Guru said:

I think I'm finally ready to start my career as the head of the Japanese Space Programme tomorrow.  This means I have no space technology to speak of (unlike North America, China and Russia) but my robot explorers are the most reliable.

It's finally over (not been playing all this time :lol: and lots has gone into the guide too.  I'll post in the playing thread when energy levels return.

On 03/09/2020 at 08:44, moosegrinder said:

I have a massive fucking axe to grind with shit like that. It bothers me on some fundamental level I don't quite understand. I like to think the Penitent Engines are GW's ironic response to that shit,

The point with the Penitent Engines is that the pilot is there for having committed absolutely awful crimes, and so they are put to service for the God Emperor but fully exposed to the enemy. Their survival, therefore, is entirely dependent upon His judgement from that point on.

To top it off, the pilot typically wants to make up for their failure and demonstrate their faith so (and I think this plays out on the board) they are keen to get into the mix, take injuries (which they experience the full pain of, but they're medicated to keep going long past the point at which they should have died) and, through a heroic death, earn the God Emperor's forgiveness.

This kind of thing applies to other naked units in the GW sphere, at least on the Imperial side. They are naked as in unprotected and unworthy. On the Chaos side it's a bit different and they have naked units because they are into sins of the flesh and worship a sex god in some factions.

As lore goes, what the fuck? God I love the lore of this shit.

But y'know, the Sisters are one of the classiest examples of female soldier design in, well, anything outside of Judge Dredd so the naked man on a mech thing seemed like some kind of statement.

And it ties in with the wider lore. It's the antithesis of the Dreadnought; a unit that is in short supply, which is held back for only the most revered and heroic of Space Marines who, having suffered mortal wounds in combat, are entombed within them for eternity or until death, whichever comes first. The armour is strong, it's inhabitants worshipped and their fellow Space Marines roused to even greater victories in their presence.

On 03/09/2020 at 08:44, moosegrinder said:

I'm in a similar position. Something internally just recoils from it. My working theory is that it's some hideous melange of the cringing fear that your parents will walk in and see what you've been gluing together, outrage at how it makes no sense as armour and finally the knowledge that we should have moved on beyond "women on the battlefield should titillate" idea, but there's still somebody out there trying to market it at you.

I have a friend who's kind of into his "alternative", "sexy" mini sculpts and it always creeps me out a bit - but I've not gone into it further than saying I find it a bit of a relic of a worse time in gaming before moving on to talk about how great the new Plague Marine sculpts are or something. I don't remember the last time I saw a "Sexy", "Alternative" Plague Marine.

edit - I just realised that the Space Crusade remake above had a Sexy Plague Marine in it. Fucking hell. At least they've u-turned on those designs (as standard, I presume).

If I was to think about it deeply I'd probably find I have a lot of feminist ideals in regard to boob windows and scantily clad soldiers/warriors that initially stem from the practicality of it all. That's usually my first reaction with needless sexualisation a very close second, which probably says more about my priorities than anything else :/

What irritates me even more is when you call companies on this shit there's usually some cunt shouting you down calling into question either your masculinity or the 'harmlessness' of it all. I'm sorry that I don't have the sensibilities of a pubescent boy but putting a bikini and thigh-highs on what is supposed to be a highly trained warrior capable of escaping death by means of ridiculous military hardware is fucking stupid.

20 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

If I was to think about it deeply I'd probably find I have a lot of feminist ideals in regard to boob windows and scantily clad soldiers/warriors that initially stem from the practicality of it all. That's usually my first reaction with needless sexualisation a very close second, which probably says more about my priorities than anything else :/

I'd like to think that people into these sorts of hobbies (which, lets face it, are just advanced versions of going pew-pew with action figures) have decent imaginations and understand that even imagination requires some sort of internal consistency if it's to be a shared space. The fact that all the men in these universes are armour plated to the nines and don't have their junk hanging out makes it inherently absurd that tits must be on display. And it's not even like some strange alternative world where the tits are situated on the back of their arms - they're pretty much where it's absolutely catastrophic to get shot.

I don't actually have that much of an issue with gratuitous sexualisation provided the medium presents you with other perspectives as well. Like, can I stomach a specific unit of skyclad female warriors in a game where women are otherwise afforded the same practicalities as men? Sure. It's the same with male minis too, although tellingly very few sculpts of reasonably mainstream and mainstream games suffer from "Ball Window", so take from that what you will.

But now I read that back, nothing there is actually gratuitous.

20 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

What irritates me even more is when you call companies on this shit there's usually some cunt shouting you down calling into question either your masculinity or the 'harmlessness' of it all. I'm sorry that I don't have the sensibilities of a pubescent boy but putting a bikini and thigh-highs on what is supposed to be a highly trained warrior capable of escaping death by means of ridiculous military hardware is fucking stupid.

Yeah, you just need to read the short comments in the link above to see a few examples of that. It's just ignorance, wilful or otherwise and I reckon I would have said the same things back when I was a shitty teenager - and perhaps that's the market they're still shooting for? Or perhaps there's just an assumption that the older markets they're trying to reach are just a bunch of old grognards that never really developed much emotionally? Obviously there's a market there and it's a market that's very secure in it's knowledge that if you've got and of the usual criticisms it means you're actually totally gay.

In terms of my own personal journey through this, as a Shitty Teenager I definitely worshipped Slaanesh. Then for a fair while I thought that Tzeench was cool. Then when I got to my 30's and I'd have back pain in the morning for no real reason and my right knee hurt now and then just because I stood up, Nurgle started to make a whole lot more sense.

Was Khorne for me. Blood for the blood god, skulls for the skull throne, all that good stuff. Very Metal­™.

There's probably some Freudian reason why Nurgle resonates so much with the older GW gamer. If nothing else it's probably from the realisation everything is impermanent and inevtiably rots beyond it's original form into something infinitely more grotesque and disposable.

Or something.

4 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

There's probably some Freudian reason why Nurgle resonates so much with the older GW gamer. If nothing else it's probably from the realisation everything is impermanent and inevtiably rots beyond it's original form into something infinitely more grotesque and disposable.

Or something.

I think it's just mono no aware manifesting through plastic. Everyone has to confront it at some point, and honestly when you're confronting your own mortality and impermanence (even in the memories of those who cared for you), you want to be at least Toughness 5 going in.

38 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

Run me off the forum if you like, but I don't think Hero Quest is really all that good.

As a 9 year old I was able to play it all day at primary school. I can't think of any comparable dungeon crawler even now. It should be the gateway game for children, not some cold logic puzzle like Splendour. I couldn't be more excited about my students playing Hero Quest compared to any other game.

Everything on Haslab is US only, but Zavvi are a UK distributor despite it saying so.  So there's a chance it'll be available through them even if Twitter clamour doesn't change the official stance.

It looks great and the price seems reasonable for the amount of stuff.  The whining about the pledge costs in a FB group I'm in (you probably are too) is barmy.  $100 for 76 gorgeous minis, a bunch of sculpted scenery and everything else.