General chatter - discuss anything here

Ian O'Toole is one of my favourite boardgame artists. I'd love to get one of his Lacerda games but they are super expensive and I'd probably only get to play them once a year. I bought Irish Gauge last month actually, probably the closest I'll get to playing 18XX games.

4 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Great! I’d like to start with a one shot, being a new keeper, but then perhaps move on to a campaign depending on how it goes and how many people wish to corntinue. I’ve just bought Berlin, the Wicked City, but also have the Pulp Cthulhu mod and Two Headed Serpent campaign. 

If you need another player for Cthulhu, I wouldn't mind giving it a shot. But If you've already got four people, I'm more than happy to step aside. I'm also quite interested to see how forum games are - I may possibly try to run something in the future.

---

In other news, the Kickstarter for that Vampire Card Game went up and it looks like a mess. The core set looks to have about 75 unique cards in it, roughly - and the manual has in depth clarifications for 32 of them. Game will be a mess. Can you imagine trying to demo to somebody under those conditions?

17 minutes ago, Lying Cat said:

If you need another player for Cthulhu, I wouldn't mind giving it a shot. But If you've already got four people, I'm more than happy to step aside. I'm also quite interested to see how forum games are - I may possibly try to run something in the future.

---

In other news, the Kickstarter for that Vampire Card Game went up and it looks like a mess. The core set looks to have about 75 unique cards in it, roughly - and the manual has in depth clarifications for 32 of them. Game will be a mess. Can you imagine trying to demo to somebody under those conditions?

Cool man, you'd be number 3, which is probably enough for a one shot. I'll get something prepped and then DM you all with possible dates and some prep notes etc. 

I ran the D&D 5e starter set for some forum folk a couple of years ago and it was good fun. They then took over and ran with it and have kept it going ever since to great effect, I believe. 

1 minute ago, Doctor Shark said:

Cool man, you'd be number 3, which is probably enough for a one shot. I'll get something prepped and then DM you all with possible dates and some prep notes etc. 

I ran the D&D 5e starter set for some forum folk a couple of years ago and it was good fun. They then took over and ran with it and have kept it going ever since to great effect, I believe. 

Awesome. I've cleared the 15th as a date we might play - but just so you as the GM know, the only days I can't really do are Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

13 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

If you do need a 4th then I'd be interesting in giving it a shot. I haven't played Call of C in over twenty years tho (or even used Roll 20), so you'd need a high tolerance of guiding me through how it all works these days.

No worries if you'd rather not because I can imagine it's hard enough corralling lunatic investigators on your first GM-session as it is, without having too many of them to try and keep tabs on.

11 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

No that'd be fine. I've never played before or GM'd call of cthulhu before so it'll be a learning experience for us all :P

Remember the golden rule of GMing: If the players get stuck, two guys with guns kick down the door and have a clue on them.

Anyone else read Spielbox?  I bought a 2020 subscription via KS and I've subsequently purchased some back issues too (which lead to my Dutch misadventure).  I think it complements Tabletop Gaming quite nicely, almost Wireframe to TG's Edge.  You get a real sense of gameplay, it's suitability at different player counts, the quality of manufacture etc.  Multiple reviewers usually contribute and they can be blunt at times.  Admittedly it probably helps if you find slightly idiosyncratic translation from German charming rather than cumbersome.

Also, if you want King's Dilemma this autumn (and why not, it's phenomenally good - should have won the expert game prize imo) - pre-order here - you won't be charged until available.  https://meeplescorner.co.uk/product/the-kings-dilemma/

21 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

So the Masters of the Universe game is actually a tabletop RPG using the cortex game system. Anyone got any experience of this?

Website with a trailer is at https://www.legendsofgrayskull.com/

I'll probably get it just for a nice source book full of brand new He-Man art. 

Not much given away in that trailer, is there any art released for this yet at all do you know?

44 minutes ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

Not much given away in that trailer, is there any art released for this yet at all do you know?

None as yet. They did a live play of a short scenario. It had a nice digital interface. Basically it was He-Man themed D&D. I was hoping for a game full of miniatures but I guess this should at least be cheaper! 

• 3 weeks later...

This is a decent little read if you are a solo gamer like myself.

https://www.tabletopgaming.co.uk/features/going-it-alone-the-solo-game-trend/

"What does solo gaming mean today?

The solo game trend is picking up as more players look for interesting diversions that don’t require three to five people’s diaries to line up. We explore what solo gaming means today.

Ask anyone why board games are great and they’ll say it’s because they’re social, because you can sit around a table with friends and play a game face to face. So why does anyone play video games? Simple, because we can’t always be bothered with people. Because being social is great unless you’ve just had to spend a whole day getting screamed at by irate customers or just want some time to yourself. If you’re on your own you can fire up Minecraft and while away a night building a castle. Switch over to tabletop and suddenly Minecraft: Biomes and Builders needs a minimum of two people. Now the game night foreplay is all about schedule wrangling, desperately trying to fit people into a two-hour slot on a Wednesday evening."

That TTG article is fine if unimaginative.   Mind you I'm a complete nutter who will consider most genres other than hidden traitors as fair game for the soloist.  I'm up for multiple tableaus multiple characters and even red v blue on occasion.  I've asked TTG to comment on the solo mode in their reviews going forward (prompted by the issue which covered Rurik and Underwater Cities, both of which are good examples albeit mechanically different.)

I should really update my cosmic black hole awards since I've discovered many more candidates of late.

Speaking of black holes, I've treated myself to Stellar Horizons as my BIG space game. I've been dead jealous of Twighlight Imperium fans.  This one has several coop scenarios and you can also play the full campaign as a single faction (human nation or region) over the mere 130 or so turns required.  It's certainly one for the floor.  It's got the lot - big tech tree, exploration, building ships and facilities, combat and lots of dice rolling, so we'll see how it works in practice.

Stellar Horizons is a big beast of a game even to prep.  Punching alone took most of the afternoon.   Could also  have done with 5 or 6 pouches for random drawing. Their idea of a player aid is to simply reprint a section of the rule book.  So, I'm preparing a modern style bullet point guide before plunging in, or should I say, boldly going where no one has been before .  At least I've got plenty of material for a suitable soundtrack - Tangerine Dream Hawkwind Pink Floyd Sun Ra Cosmic Jokers and various other Komische artists. 

On 27/08/2020 at 18:12, Cosmic_Guru said:

Speaking of black holes, I've treated myself to Stellar Horizons as my BIG space game. 

BIG seems an understatement -- "Playing time 60-1200 minutes" :D

I love reading about games like that, and poring over the rulebooks, but I know it'd be pointless me buying it as it'd never get played.

On 29/08/2020 at 11:06, Professor Rob said:

BIG seems an understatement -- "Playing time 60-1200 minutes" :D

I love reading about games like that, and poring over the rulebooks, but I know it'd be pointless me buying it as it'd never get played.

I think I'm finally ready to start my career as the head of the Japanese Space Programme tomorrow.  This means I have no space technology to speak of (unlike North America, China and Russia) but my robot explorers are the most reliable.

Most of the time has been spent on preparing a player aide summary* which fits on 2 sides of A4.  You simply can't keep referring to paragraphs of text.  Also, the information is all over the place and there are errors.

On the upside, even though the campaign is extremely lengthy (130 years or turns), you only really have a handful of ships and bases and could summarise the solar system status pretty easily if you want to pack it up and resume at a later date.  Secondly there is a hefty dollop of logic and common sense when you zoom out of the detail - unlike for example On Mars.  

* excluding the combat rules - in the solo game you only come across pirates and those not for some time, so I'm leaving that out for now. 

That's awesome! I've got mine in a glass case thing my that used to belong to my father in law.

Stuffed Fables and Mice and Mystics arrived. Quality wise they both seem amazing! Hoping to get some time on Stuffed Fables in the next few days but it's tricky with an almost two year old demanding almost constant attention. My seven year old is very excited and has become particularly attached to Lumpy the elephant. 

lumpycard.jpg.b9d761b23789d46cc940e13970648eb5.jpg

Rained off work so sat flicking through this and the nostalgia gland is in overdrive!  The illustrations throughout are just gorgeous in that quintessential 90's GW way.  Dynamic and punchy. 

Something I didn't take note of at the time, what with being a teenager more interested in music and girls, is how well designed the cards are in terms of their intended audience.  On one side you have the actual factual mechanic of the card but on the other it tells you how to deploy it.  Very cool.

IMG_0815.thumb.JPG.a3ad597c0be3c73592646da78d129585.JPG

IMG_0816.thumb.JPG.a29655cd4b4ef9e65421241ae9ffe7d3.JPG

Remorse is having given away hero quest, advanced hero quest and expansions and a load of minis to a mate about 20 years ago then drifting apart. The regret. :doh:

Bloody lovely, a nice cup of tea and a game of HeroQuest.  It doesn't get much better than that.  HQ is definitely on my list to finish the holy triumvirate of DungeonQuest (GW), Space Crusade and HeroQuest.

Heavens open, choir sings...

21 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

Well well well, if it isn't Space Crusade. Purchased off ebay so I was mildly concerned about  the 'good condition' being a load of old bollocks but hot damn if it isn't practically brand new!  One corner torn and a little shelf wear to the box but other than that it looks like it's been punched, the figures unsprued(it's a word) and then left untouched for thirty years.  Not a single snapped gun or creased card. Crazy.

118692784_705046720085305_2660676540003696266_n.thumb.jpg.680939c3bd7c453f573d6137a37f7c44.jpg

Go on then, how much did you have to part with for that??

1 hour ago, Twinbee said:

Go on then, how much did you have to part with for that??

In that condition I'd guessssssssssss..... Somewhere between 200-250. Absolute stab in the dark.

Edit: holy fucking shit, you got a bargain!

Edited by moosegrinder