General chatter - discuss anything here

Asura

I had that too! I gave it to charity about ten years ago when having a clearout, and I wish I hadn’t now. I always thought the latter part of the game, once the lava spread, really slowed it all down. Never occurred to me to change the rules a bit. 

Wasn’t Michael trying to Kickstarter a reprint with the designer’s original rules? Waddington’s diddled with them, apparently. 

Same designer came up with Survive!/Escape from Atlantis, which had a similarly epic injection moulded version from Waddington’s in the 80s. We had both!

Plugging our games day up in Newcastle at the end of the month.

Saturday 29th February we're having an all day board gaming meet at our current place just a mile north of Newcastle city centre in Gosforth. There are already several forumites coming but anyone who would like to come should send me a pm for the details. It should be a good day and we're looking forward to getting lots of games played.

On 14/02/2020 at 11:28, Alexlotl said:

Wasn’t Michael trying to Kickstarter a reprint with the designer’s original rules? Waddington’s diddled with them, apparently. 

Same designer came up with Survive!/Escape from Atlantis, which had a similarly epic injection moulded version from Waddington’s in the 80s. We had both!

I was! And there was even a planned third game to complete the trilogy. Sadly (sadly?) I ended up working in the industry proper, so plans for a reboot fell away. I still have an original late 70s prototype of Lost Valley of the Dinosaurs in my collection though, with every card hand drawn on index cards. I should get round to documenting that sometime. 

18 minutes ago, michael said:

I was! And there was even a planned third game to complete the trilogy. Sadly (sadly?) I ended up working in the industry proper, so plans for a reboot fell away. I still have an original late 70s prototype of Lost Valley of the Dinosaurs in my collection though, with every card hand drawn on index cards. I should get round to documenting that sometime. 

Nice, didn’t know about the prototype. Based on that, would a copyright-skirting conversion kit for the Waddingtons game be potentially possible?

On 14/02/2020 at 07:22, uglifruit said:

I very much enjoyed Escape From Frankenstein, but Lost Valley Of The Dinosaurs was better...

349x400.jpg

I found a complete copy of this in a charity shop a few years ago for a few quid. Kept it a while and played it with the family before selling it on for an obscene profit.

Snagged a copy of Hotel Tycoon on monday from the same shop for £4, a recent Asmodee reprint of Hotel, complete and with all its 3D buildings. Thankfully it's stood the test of time as a fun and amusing alternative to Monopoly's staleness, and I smashed the family to pieces.

What’s Castle Ravenloft like? I’m after more games that are a bit Heroquest-y, with nice miniatures and an accessible mechanic. Games that can be wrapped up in an hour. 

I’ve never played D&D before, and don’t have the time/patience/people to start, but it does look rather nice. 

Probably because the monsters get to go first!  It's brutal, and great.  I love it.

Gives a flavour of D&D, doesn't get bogged down by masses of rules - set up, play and put away in an hour.  The rules such as they are are fast and loose and you're encouraged to house rule anything that might come up, or you can just head to BGG for an answer.  I would probably encourage anyone new to the DDAS games to buy one of the newer ones though as they have tightened them up a little bit over time.  Mad Mage is great, much more trap heavy and the encounter deck seems a little fairer.

Was in Travelling Man in Newcastle today, while on a week’s holiday in the north-east. Was verrrry close to picking up the Arkham Horror card game, but then decided to put my pocket money towards getting Horrified instead (which, weirdly, the staff hadn’t heard of when I asked for it). Think I’ll get more play out of that for the money.

I like the look of Wingspan, too. Box art is delightful, and the cardboard birdhouse looks lovely. 

Was also interested in the Resident Evil 2 board game after reading some good reviews, but 90 quid is just far too much money, sadly. 

Has anyone here played Epic Card Game with kids?  I'm wondering whether it would be suitable to play with my 6.5 year old?

He's really getting into board games now (yay!) - enjoys Kingdomino, Junior Catan, Carcassonne and the Pokemon TCG, but I thought Epic looked like it might be fun.

(I'm a lapsed MTG player myself which is probably why it appeals to me!)

Whilst I love Epic Card Game...

21 minutes ago, Bushtopher said:

Has anyone here played Epic Card Game with kids?  I'm wondering whether it would be suitable to play with my 6.5 year old?

I'm basing this on my nephew, but I'd suggest it's maybe a bit intricate (with a lot of keywords) for one that young.  Definitely a step up from Pokemon tcg, but having that idea of a tableaus, and cards attacking is a good place to start him/her learning from though.  Epic does play into fantasy art tropes of big breasted cleavage women in places, if that's a consideration.

On the plus side, Epic is free on IOS and Android, so you can easily try it to see what you think though.