rllmuk
Asura

General chatter - discuss anything here

I played it last year at Glasgow Game Festival and our group loved it but I only just picked a copy up recently. I'm looking forward to getting it to the table this week actually how'd it play with 3?

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Mortis said:

I played it last year at Glasgow Game Festival and our group loved it but I only just picked a copy up recently. I'm looking forward to getting it to the table this week actually how'd it play with 3?

With nothing to compare it to I would say it was fine but I can imagine it being much better with 5 - and with scheming adults. My wife and son basically collaborated the whole time, sharing info and showing each other their map hints and mini-maps. If all players were lying about their hints and maps it would be much more in-keeping with the theme. I took immense pleasure in playing the "the treasure is East of you" hint token as soon as my wife hit the western-most point of the map :-) 

• Upvote 1

Yeah our group (5 of us) didn’t share much info till they saw I was due to escape then they decided they would rather let one of them win than the lying, scheming scumbag that had been tormenting them for the previous hour :) 1 turn away from escape with the treasure right next to the tower I was held in and they uncovered the treasure - gah. 

• Upvote 1

Building up a collection stopped as we got busy and stopped playing what we already had. We had been in the habit of a game of something quick each evening after dinner. Also Coup felt like a bit of a let down, maybe it's just not very good with two players?

But while on a trip to Bath I went charity shop hunting as my friend slept in and I found two games Rail Race and Billionaire for about 3 quid each, old. Neither seem amazing, but good enough to have some goes on. 

Played a couple of games of Watergate earlier. Played as WaPo both times. Absolutely brilliant little game, with a lovely theme and a lot of strategic depth.

Highly recommended.

• Upvote 2

Anyone played much 7th Continent?

Had a go yesterday and while I really liked it - it seemed really punishing.

We could not find the second cog anywhere (I think we missed something in rules on a "may" change card number and made it mandatory) and failed to get off 2nd Island and back to start.

Seemed odd that your personal "deck" has so many interesting cards you can't use until you level up.

Still really liked the idea and looking forward to trying again

I really enjoyed/enjoy my time with 7th Continent.  There's definitely a moment when it clicks that this isn't just the choose-own-adventure game it looks like, but rather is a very tight card optimization game, where deck management about to avoid starving is the key.  Really good.

On 01/10/2019 at 08:31, jonnyalpha said:

What's the Alice in Wonderland card game in those images from Tabletop?

Disney baddies face off to achieve evil goals in their specific realms., while screwing each other over wherever possible.

https://www.boardgamequest.com/villainous-review/

it’s beautifully designed and pretty addictive and a couple of expansions with new villains have been released too. Thinking of getting it for my niece this Christmas.

• Upvote 1

So in my search for ever heavier board games that I'll struggle to learn and teach (since I'm now comfy explaining Arkwright to a group) I picked up a copy of John Company, Cole Wehrle's exploration of the running of the East India Company where up to 6 players have to co-operate just enough to keep the company running but try and skim enough profit to hopefully retire with a position of status (the only way you really score points). I'm already struggling with the rulebook a bit and the rules video I watched isn't the easiest to get my head round either. I'm gonna have to take over the kitchen table tonight and setup for a 4 player game with me in every position to get the feel for this one.

I really should just go back to playing simpler games :)

Anyone else played this one and have any helpful tips for teaching it?

• Upvote 1

For some reason this ended up in the wrong thread... I am almost entirely sure it was my fault one way or the other... But I might post it here anyway as I thought it looked quite interesting:

Any recommendations for noob friendly board games that can be played with just 2 people? 

Ideally something that can be picked up quickly but is more interesting Monopoly etc.

11 hours ago, spork said:

Any recommendations for noob friendly board games that can be played with just 2 people? 

Ideally something that can be picked up quickly but is more interesting Monopoly etc.

Other games of varying difficulty but mainly are accessible:

Trambahn

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/175293/trambahn

Agricola All Creatures Big And Small

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/119890/agricola-all-creatures-big-and-small

Patchwork

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/163412/patchwork/credits

7 Wonders Duel

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/173346/7-wonders-duel

• Upvote 2

Amazon? Mine too. Still seems to be available elsewhere. Try Zatu. £23 with shipping. Not as good as the £20 preorder from Amazon, but I’m not waiting till January.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Hexx said:

Jaws delayed :(

19 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Amazon? Mine too. Still seems to be available elsewhere. Try Zatu. £23 with shipping. Not as good as the £20 preorder from Amazon, but I’m not waiting till January.

Mine came yesterday! (sorry lads)

I couldn’t resist a copy in hand at John Lewis today for £24 - was only nipping in  to say hi to a couple of fellow Asmodee demo team members as well. 

On 02/11/2019 at 18:22, Mortis said:

I couldn’t resist a copy in hand at John Lewis today for £24 - was only nipping in  to say hi to a couple of fellow Asmodee demo team members as well. 

what?  Good board games in JL with demo folks?  Tell me more..

My amazon order was delayed - suspect it's scalpers trying to get more for it before Christmas.  I went to Zatu instead.  

We've played quite a bit of Everdell since last Christmas, got the Pearlbrook expansion earlier this year and then got on the new kickstarter for the next two expansions and the wooden tree. It's a favourite of my partner, possibly because she always wins but also because it's very pretty, worker placement, engine and tableau building which ticks lots of our boxes.

We just got some little bowls made for it after seeing a guy selling 3d printed game trays on Facebook. I messaged him about printing us something specific for Everdell and he was great and made us the size and colour that we wanted. His main product is some nifty stacking trays for game components but he was so good in printing us a special request that I thought I'd post his details here. I've also posted a pic of the bowls set up on the board. One of his stacking trays is to the right with the coins in.

https://www.slithytovedesign.co.uk/

everdell1.thumb.jpg.32a0649500906b5fd6e15ee081f861b2.jpg

• Upvote 4

I posted in the Newcastle meet thread but thought I should put this here as well:

So, many years ago I held a couple of boardgame/videogame meets at my house. A good number of people came, many games were played and fun was had. My boardgame collection has increased stupidly since then and I was wondering if there would be interest in another game day sometime in the early part of next year? I'm currently in a fairly big place with lots of room but that is likely to change in the springtime next year. 

Would anyone be interested in a day of boardgaming on a weekend early next year? Or possibly a weekend of gaming, depending on numbers and interest.

• Upvote 3