rllmuk
Asura

General chatter - discuss anything here

I've had a busy day today. My preorder of Foothills arrived which I've been looking forward to since I missed the chance to buy it at UKGE. Then my kickstarter of Bargain Quest arrived unexpectedly. Too much happiness as both just in time for the weekend. 

44 minutes ago, jonnyalpha said:

Then my kickstarter of Bargain Quest arrived unexpectedly. Too much happiness as both just in time for the weekend. 

Really? I didn’t think they’d been posted yet?!?

I got a "shipment dispatched" email yesterday, quoting 2-4 working days for delivery.  Now I'm unreasonably hoping for it to arrive today!*

*And immediately go on the Shelf of Shame...

• Empathy 1

14 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

Just took a look, and all the shipping options seemed to have a price of zero. I would guess that they don’t know what it weighs yet, so they’ve keyed zero and means the shipping estimation isn’t working.

This table has a column for the Euro Friendly P500 shipping based on weight: https://www.gmtgames.com/t2-gmtshippingtable.aspx

Always wanted to play that - someone at BM has a copy, but I’m totally starved for time lately and haven’t made it in ages. 

You haven’t! If Saturdays aren’t good we should organise another York board gaming day you can do

On 02/08/2019 at 13:57, frumious said:

And here it is!

Mine has arrived too. Did you back the whole shebang? The fact the extra stuff is just loose in the cardboard box is a bit rubbish.

1 hour ago, Rev said:

Mine has arrived too. Did you back the whole shebang? The fact the extra stuff is just loose in the cardboard box is a bit rubbish.

Yes, and yes, that isn't great. And even once you've rearranged things yourself the extra stuff almost but doesn't quite fit in the main game box (unless maybe one removes the insert).

To follow on from my recent posts about my fairly newly started collection, I just got an email to say Dragonheart is finally being dispatched, and I picked up Tail Feathers new on ebay for 15 quid.

Yet to play it but the models are beautiful, really looking forward to getting a mate round so we can work it out. Managed to get hold of the PDF to print my own game mat for it. Seems getting it done on neoprene would be crazy expensive, so currently looking into options to get a sign printer to make it up on vinyl/pvc.

On 02/08/2019 at 10:16, Professor Rob said:

Thanks, chaps. I ordered with the full expectation of having to pay shipping/import duty, so I'm not too fussed. It's a game I really want, and it's still cheaper than the utterly bonkers secondhand prices.

I can weigh my copy of 1989 if that helps? I got lucky at the uk games expo last year and grabbed it the instant it was placed on the shelf. Superb game. I personally prefer it to Twilight Struggle. That has the better theme but 1989 has improved gameplay imo.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Professor Rob said:

Thanks for the offer, but I got the weight off BGG (1.8Kg). Should be $15 shipping, plus whatever import duty gets added.

The GMT website says VAT friendly shipping which I'm assuming means we pay a little extra but pay the tax so the parcel didn't get held up and we don't get hit with handling charges. I also went and ordered on the p500 which is entirely your fault. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Hexx said:

Go on. Just have a little taste. 

Nah, I tried Arkham Horror and Netrunner and the constant pack updates and all that just leaves me cold, especially when you've played the base game enough that you want to get some more packs and the early ones are out of print.

1 minute ago, moosegrinder said:

Nah, I tried Arkham Horror and Netrunner and the constant pack updates and all that just leaves me cold, especially when you've played the base game enough that you want to get some more packs and the early ones are out of print.

I'm curious how the LCG element of it works (the pictures show for instance 15 She Hulk cards...but a deck is 40?) but the blurb makes it sound like Villians/Encounters etc will be Sentinals like...

Here's hopeing :D

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

Not a fan of this model either.  Crazy also to have the first major expansion for Arkham Horror (return to Dunwich?) out of print when so many folk like playing things in release order.

You would think they'd reprint it in compendium boxes now that all the ad-hoc collecting has surely died down. At this stage after my own ordeal trying to get the last chapter of Dunwich I wouldn't recommend anyone start it.

it’s fantasy flights business model and it’s been that way for years and is unlikely to change. Their big games are just a constant conveyor belt of expansions. Unless you get in early it can be really hard to catch up, or prohibitively expensive to do so . Best thing to do is buy it even if your on the fence. You can normally resell without losing too much cash if you end up not liking it. Over the past few years I’ve bought and sold on more of their games then any other publisher by quite a margin.

It's the FOMO model, and these days I'd just rather buy several different games than support it to be honest.

• Upvote 3

It's also driven by buyer and seller behaviour though - the simple fact is new stuff sells at higher volumes, so reprints are inherently risky because you can't be particularly certain that the demand exists for it, you won't have a marketing cycle geared up to tell people it's available and trade stockists may not even be interested in it anyway because it won't sell through in high enough volume (particularly in comparison to a new expansion where the demand is far more measurable and certain).

What neither FFG nor retailers want is stock sitting on a shelf, whether that's in a shop or or a warehouse.

Never tried any sort of D&D or RPG but thinking I should try and get my 7 year old into it... Are they any good 2 player options out there? He loves star wars so thinking maybe one of the star wars beginner games? Any advice welcome. 

1 minute ago, Stoppy2000 said:

Never tried any sort of D&D or RPG but thinking I should try and get my 7 year old into it... Are they any good 2 player options out there? He loves star wars so thinking maybe one of the star wars beginner games? Any advice welcome. 

https://www.polygon.com/2019/7/9/20687666/dungeons-dragons-essentials-kit-review

No experience myself but I remember that article

Has anyone played Fog of Love? I'm hoping to play tonight and not sure whether to do the tutorial (which by all accounts looks like it explains things, but is also cut down as a result) or try to jump into a proper scenario and learn the rules from the book?

On 05/08/2019 at 14:31, moosegrinder said:

LCG so I'm instantly out :(

Yeap. Never falling into that trap again. I’m about self contained games now and more competitive. 

• Upvote 1

Am I the only one looking at current ‘hotness’ from gencon and Kickstarter and generally really not caring about any of it... too much content. Too much STUFF. Minis, stretch goals, expansions, new stuff new stuff. 

38 minutes ago, scottcr said:

Am I the only one looking at current ‘hotness’ from gencon and Kickstarter and generally really not caring about any of it... too much content. Too much STUFF. Minis, stretch goals, expansions, new stuff new stuff. 

Yep, it's STUFF all right.

There are still nice little things out there - Side Room solo efforts, Dark Domains is a really nice game but not for me, Ragusa is a neat Euro, Unbroken Undelivered is probably decent, but BIGGER is definitely the trend.  Also, just keeping up with expansions for the franchises you like and where the games might be difficult to source at retail (Sword & Sorcery, Trickerion, Nemo, and the Hexplore universe).  I'm also a sucker for the "additional encounters" type add-ons since they increase replay ability signficantly.

Just when I've decided enough is (very almost) enough, KS give me super backer prize idiot status. :facepalm:.