rllmuk
Asura

General chatter - discuss anything here

So Hive arrived this weekend. The first game was a bit blah as we just branched out in opposing straight lines and then it was a race to place ants and grass hoppers. But then we started to get the tactics and try and lay down defence and traps, got into using the beetle, and also moving our queens. My crowning achievement was when the BF realised that I'd deliberately laid pieces down on my Queen to block what would become the final placement.

• Upvote 4

Hive is brilliant, and seems in the minority of modern games in that it has absolutely zero luck component. No dice, no deck, no asymmetry, nothing random. Just a sheer battle of wits.

• Upvote 3

Nobody plays Hive with me. Sulk. It's very good though.

(Although they really could have given it a nicer theme. At least Cockroach Poker leans into the insect theme, Hive is just "maybe insects?")

5 hours ago, jonamok said:

Hive is brilliant, and seems in the minority of modern games in that it has absolutely zero luck component. No dice, no deck, no asymmetry, nothing random. Just a sheer battle of wits.

If you want another game with no luck then you should try Terra Mystica. It can be expensive but worth looking out for, I got mine for a bargain price in one of Travelling Man's sales.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, jonnyalpha said:

If you want another game with no luck then you should try Terra Mystica. It can be expensive but worth looking out for, I got mine for a bargain price in one of Travelling Man's sales.

Gaia Project is pretty much Terra Mystica 2.0 and just as brilliant as TM. It doesn't play 5 like TM but it does have the benefit of scaling better at lower player counts and is the better experience with 2 or 3. Tm just feels a bit too loose with less than 4.

Another zero luck game would be Caylus. Absolutley everything is player driven in that game. No dice and no deck of cards. If something happens it happens because of a player choice. Although it's getting on a bit now it's still an outstanding example of good game design.

• Upvote 1

So I popped into Bad Moon Cafe to check it out. It specialities in warhammer with custom tables, but has a good variety of regular board games for 4.00 an unlimited session. Free on Friday evenings which a meet-up group attends, so I know where I'll be.

They also have a small selection of new games for sale that were well priced and I picked up Coup.

4 hours ago, emerald fox said:

So I popped into Bad Moon Cafe to check it out. It specialities in warhammer with custom tables, but has a good variety of regular board games for 4.00 an unlimited session. Free on Friday evenings which a meet-up group attends, so I know where I'll be.

They also have a small selection of new games for sale that were well priced and I picked up Coup.

Looks great, I'm working in London for 10 days next month with nothing to do on the weekday evenings so will definitely nip in and check it out.

• Upvote 1

Just recently started a board game collection after many sessions enjoying games at friends places but having none of my own. Seem to have been lucky with offers and discounts so far:

- Just ordered 'Junk Art' (plastic version) for £13.14 on Amazon - cheaper than it went on Prime Day
- (Prime Day) Picked up 'Jaipur' for £8.66
- Got 'Planet' for £18.66 when they did an Amazon Assistant offer for a tenner off items sold by Amazon
- Got 'Photosynthesis' from Zatu on ebay with a fiver off voucher for £28.87
- Also on eBay, picked up 'Betrayal at House on the Hill' for £17.25 (sold by voit95 - seems they have hundreds available - the box was a little dogeared on the corners, but contents were fine)
- 'Professor Evil and the Citadel of Time' from ChaosCards for £9.95
- (If it ever arrives) - 'Dragonheart' from the BoardGameGeek marketplace for about £25 delivered (Italien version but that doesn't game components have no text and I've found the manual in English).

Think I'd best take it easy now - these things seem to be a little addictive and wallet destroying.

Photosynthesis and Jaipur are definitely my favourites that I've played so far, and Planet is a really nice relaxed game, but I've yet to try Betrayal or Citadel of Time.

• Upvote 3

Welcome to new enthusiasts :).  I thought this video was interesting - collect or play?  I have no room to simply pile things up in an attic, basement, spare bedroom etc and that tends to impose a limit (got my eyes on a slight re-arrangement of the bedroom though to shoe horn in another cabinet).  I have regular clear outs (next one probably September), and I've not got too many more published games on my wanted list.

On the downside, I've developed a very serious Kickstarter habit and that needs to be addressed.    

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Zio said:

This last weekend we went a little nuts and bought Pandemic (haven't actually opened it yet but I know it's supposed to be good)

Pandemic is absolutely brilliant - a modern classic for a good reason. And it's a great co-op game, so your GF may really like it because of that. My wife and I don't do loads of competitive stuff, so we've played a lot of co-ops in our time. Can't play base Pandemic any more though: she plays about ten games a day of the ipad version and so doesn't like the way I play the board version: too slow and don't make the right decisions. :D

If you find you like it, have a look at Pandemic Legacy, which is Pandemic with a story campaign. Stick with the base one for a while though.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, FozZ said:

Just recently started a board game collection after many sessions enjoying games at friends places but having none of my own. Seem to have been lucky with offers and discounts so far:

- Just ordered 'Junk Art' (plastic version) for £13.14 on Amazon - cheaper than it went on Prime Day
- (Prime Day) Picked up 'Jaipur' for £8.66
- Got 'Planet' for £18.66 when they did an Amazon Assistant offer for a tenner off items sold by Amazon
- Got 'Photosynthesis' from Zatu on ebay with a fiver off voucher for £28.87
- Also on eBay, picked up 'Betrayal at House on the Hill' for £17.25 (sold by voit95 - seems they have hundreds available - the box was a little dogeared on the corners, but contents were fine)
- 'Professor Evil and the Citadel of Time' from ChaosCards for £9.95
- (If it ever arrives) - 'Dragonheart' from the BoardGameGeek marketplace for about £25 delivered (Italien version but that doesn't game components have no text and I've found the manual in English).

Think I'd best take it easy now - these things seem to be a little addictive and wallet destroying.

Photosynthesis and Jaipur are definitely my favourites that I've played so far, and Planet is a really nice relaxed game, but I've yet to try Betrayal or Citadel of Time.

Without wanting to encourage you, this time of year does seem to be the time that bargains crop up. I had thought it's the summer and not many people are buying them, but I've since realised that it's probably shops seeing what they clear out for basically full price at UKGE, then clearing out the rest cheap ready to build up stock for next year. Which is a bit shitty. 

(BTW,  you might want to check if your Betrayal is a pirated version. Pirated games are becoming a lot more common.)

1 hour ago, Rev said:

(BTW,  you might want to check if your Betrayal is a pirated version. Pirated games are becoming a lot more common.)

Someone else mentioned this to me, but without having seen a copy of Betrayal in person apart from mine, I'm not sure how I'd be able to tell.

4 minutes ago, FozZ said:

Someone else mentioned this to me, but without having seen a copy of Betrayal in person apart from mine, I'm not sure how I'd be able to tell.

I've never played it and there doesn't seem to be any consistent ways to spot one apart from lower quality control. But I've just had a look at the seller and since they've got negative feedback for selling other fake items, I think you can probably assume it is. 

(If you report it to eBay, they'll probably tell you to destroy it and they'll give you a refund. It varies whether they actually ask for proof of destruction, apparently.)

2 hours ago, Rev said:

I've never played it and there doesn't seem to be any consistent ways to spot one apart from lower quality control. But I've just had a look at the seller and since they've got negative feedback for selling other fake items, I think you can probably assume it is. 

(If you report it to eBay, they'll probably tell you to destroy it and they'll give you a refund. It varies whether they actually ask for proof of destruction, apparently.)

Hmm, I went through loads of the feedback for sales of Betrayal and didn't see anything suggesting fakes. If it is, no massive loss, and as far as I can tell it has all the pieces needed to play. The manuals in particular felt as high quality as I'd ever expect in a game. 

9 minutes ago, FozZ said:

Hmm, I went through loads of the feedback for sales of Betrayal and didn't see anything suggesting fakes. If it is, no massive loss, and as far as I can tell it has all the pieces needed to play. The manuals in particular felt as high quality as I'd ever expect in a game. 

Fakes are sometimes made in the same factory as the legit versions these days, so there's very little difference. If you've opened it and checked it and it's all good then nothing to worry about. I was more saying in case it was all sealed up and you didn't find out it was actually three dead rats until 4 years later when you get around to playing it.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Rev said:

Fakes are sometimes made in the same factory as the legit versions these days, so there's very little difference. If you've opened it and checked it and it's all good then nothing to worry about. I was more saying in case it was all sealed up and you didn't find out it was actually three dead rats until 4 years later when you get around to playing it.

:lol: nah, all the press out piece cards were shrink wrapped and dice, minis, etc. in their own sealed bags. The box did feel like it might be a fake, but again, I don't know what the real deal is like. If I come to play it and find the manual is gibberish or something is amiss ill report it and inform people here to avoid. 

1 minute ago, FozZ said:

:lol: nah, all the press out piece cards were shrink wrapped and dice, minis, etc. in their own sealed bags. The box did feel like it might be a fake, but again, I don't know what the real deal is like. If I come to play it and find the manual is gibberish or something is amiss ill report it and inform people here to avoid. 

Is there a copyright notice on the box? They might just have removed that and put standard stuff in a fake box. 

56 minutes ago, Rev said:

Is there a copyright notice on the box? They might just have removed that and put standard stuff in a fake box. 

Never thought of fake games before. 

Just googled Betrayal and the net is flooded with topics and posts about it!

3 minutes ago, The Eagle Lord said:

Never thought of fake games before. 

Just googled Betrayal and the net is flooded with topics and posts about it!

I saw a few on Wish a few months ago. There aren't many that get the treatment, but I'm sure as the hobby becomes more popular it'll happen more and more. For some reason Unstable Unicorns gets faked loads. I never got the impression it had sold that well (relatively, considering it's clearly done OK to be in non-hobby shops) but it must have.

Junk Art turned up today so me and a mate had a crack at it. Can't say I was blown away, mainly the theme / premise feeling pretty bolted on, however, stacking stuff is satisfying and I think with more people and after a few drinks it'll be more fun. I pretty much lost every round, but nailed it on this one :)

Screenshot_20190720-010617.thumb.png.fa7af0d5c6cadee1e823f484d5e40243.png

23 minutes ago, FozZ said:

Junk Art turned up today so me and a mate had a crack at it. Can't say I was blown away, mainly the theme / premise feeling pretty bolted on, however, stacking stuff is satisfying and I think with more people and after a few drinks it'll be more fun. I pretty much lost every round, but nailed it on this one :)

Screenshot_20190720-010617.thumb.png.fa7af0d5c6cadee1e823f484d5e40243.png

I’d recommend playing a relatively-epic game where you run through all the places, rather than just some. I was a bit meh after 4 places, but having done them all I was fully in the fan club. Seeing why they each work, the ones where you get to be a right bitch to your opponent versus the more considered ones. It’s obviously not massively innovative or anything like that, but I think it does what it does really well.

• Upvote 1

After getting a mint unplayed version of Mage Knight for absolute BUTTONS at UKGE - I've now started to try it out.  Seems very good so far although a bit of a table hog mainly due to the comedy sized level tracker... art is great and card quality is superb.  Looking forward to getting stuck in.

• Upvote 2

Has anybody been following the crazy antics of golden bell across Kickstarter? It seems their modus operandi involves holding Kickstarter backers to ransom to try to gouge more money; getting naive designers to sign away all their rights; and doxing backers.

Truly we live in amazing times.

• Upvote 1

I backed Unbroken... apparently supposed to be getting it in September.  I've not been following the shite to be honest.  What's happening?

• Empathy 1

More of their projects have suddenly had miscalculated postage and they are pulling the same stunt they have with unbroken 

seems another project they spent 5K of the backers money ordering 500 plushies then only 60 people bought them so now they are offering to send folk a plushie but they’ve scrapped the game as they only raised 10k

unbroken they are asking for money as they “miscalculated” the shipping (although reports they ordered an extra 7500 copies and ran out of backer money to ship the rest is what I’ve read)

Outlast:Westbrook they say they aren’t going to produce unless they can get more backers outside KS (despite it funding) and all the tome the CEO of golden bell is on social platforms berating anyone who dares call them out. 

At the present moment I’ll be shocked if unbroken turns up at my door as the last update said September but there’s no confirmation yet it’s even left the warehouse in China - even worse for EU backers as they haven’t even got a distributor lined up.