rllmuk
Asura

General chatter - discuss anything here

1 hour ago, michael said:

I'm in - I assume you'll have prototypes at UKGE to play as well?

Absolutely! I’m on the SUASD stand, but after hours/when they’re not looking I intend to whip it out 

You have another backer here ;) if only because your mafiascum and codenames forum games are to blame for getting me into this hobby in the first place. 

• Upvote 1

TaR demoed the game to my partner and me at Airecon. We both liked it, I'd have bought copies right then if there had been any. I'm going to be in for 3 copies, one for us and two others as presents. It's a really nice quick, card game and I'm always on the lookout for those.

• Upvote 1

On 02/05/2019 at 21:08, jonnyalpha said:

TaR demoed the game to my partner and me at Airecon. We both liked it, I'd have bought copies right then if there had been any. I'm going to be in for 3 copies, one for us and two others as presents. It's a really nice quick, card game and I'm always on the lookout for those.

I've created a 3 game reward tier just for you (and anybody else who wants it).

2 days to go! A young chap I met at Airecon is starting a boardgaming youtube site and has given me a glowing review. It's not your polished youtube reviews, but I can get behind people wanting to follow their dreams and having to start somewhere, so I'm sharing it:

• Upvote 3

I’ve just ordered Wingspan as it looks brilliant. I love birds so I’m amazed this has passed me by. Mechanics sounds superb and the potential for future expansions sounds really good. Can’t wait for it to turn up.

10 hours ago, strider said:

I’ve just ordered Wingspan as it looks brilliant. I love birds so I’m amazed this has passed me by. Mechanics sounds superb and the potential for future expansions sounds really good. Can’t wait for it to turn up.

The artwork and production values are amazing. It's also a wonderful engine building game. A fine purchase :)

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Fondue said:

And don't accidentally pimp it out... Ahem

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/674103820/wingspan-40x-deluxe-player-tokens

hmm. That's tempting.

2 hours ago, SimonC said:

The artwork and production values are amazing. It's also a wonderful engine building game. A fine purchase :)

Yup, I'm massively excited about it. I'm hoping it gets lots of expansions of different birds from around the world as well.

4 hours ago, Rev said:

Anyone got any opinions on Dinosaur Island vs. Xtreme vs. Duelosaur?

Yes. The base game plays differently to the Vs game but they both have a lot of table real estate and whil Vs is a simpler game technically it's still moderately heavy. I haven't played either in a while so if you can wait till next week I'll get Vs out and give it another go. I think I've got the solo rules.

53 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Yes. The base game plays differently to the Vs game but they both have a lot of table real estate and whil Vs is a simpler game technically it's still moderately heavy. I haven't played either in a while so if you can wait till next week I'll get Vs out and give it another go. I think I've got the solo rules.

Yeah, that’s fine. It’ll mostlyyyy be played two player, so pretty direct comparison. Was a pondered UKGE purchase, but got put off.

9 hours ago, Rev said:

Yeah, that’s fine. It’ll mostlyyyy be played two player, so pretty direct comparison. Was a pondered UKGE purchase, but got put off.

@strawdonkey has a better memory than me so he might be able to elaborate a bit more while I get it back to the table. Fwiw I really like it, it's aesthetically and mechanically pleasing.

Anyone played New Frontiers, the new Race for the Galaxy board game? It sounds pretty ace from what I could see on BGG. 

RftG famously began life as a card game adaptation of Puerto Rico, and it sounds like this kind of takes it full circle, turning it back into a board game. However, it sounds like it fixes PR’s three big problems - the dynamic turn order removes the big advantage you got by sitting to the right of a bad player, there isn’t such a fixed “best path” when starting out, and the theme doesn’t involve importing slaves to work your plantations (“But they’re called colonists!”, you cry, protectively gathering your dark-brown discs close to your chest).

It also looks great, as all the Race stuff does, and has a Race style advanced 2P mode that makes the 2P game faster and more strategic.

I’m very tempted to pick it up. We love RftG, but my wife has RSI and doesn’t like holding a big wedge of cards for half an hour, so a board version could be ideal. 

• Upvote 1

For anyone local to Motherwell - our game group is organising a 10am - 10pm game day locally next Saturday the 22nd at South Dalziel Studios (Studio 2). 

Entry is £6 (£4 for 12-16 yrs) and we’ve got some folk already bringing TI4 and Firefly - it’s our first try of something like this and any money over the cost of the venue hire will go to cancer research UK.

• Upvote 5

Visited the D20 board game cafe in Watford, and got to play Wingspan (good little shop, by the way). 

It's great. Got to play it twice. Lots of varied tactics between players, some nice scoring mechanics which mean you need to keep an eye on each others boards, and the cards are cute - it makes a real effort to use the theme. We even found ourselves talking about birds a couple of times. 

Luckily a very kind person saw us struggling with the rules and came over to teach us. It is a bit daunting at first - we were struggling as none of us had played it before. 

Up there with 7 Wonders for light fun strategy (although that's probably a silly thing to say, having only played it twice). 

• Upvote 1

Latest shut up and sit down review makes me really want Crokinole. Anyone played it? Is getting a cheap smaller board like this...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ferti-Games-Crokinole-65-Classic-Game-Skill/dp/B00AA8BFT2/ref=sr_1_1?crid=JI4A88ZHUXHL&keywords=crokinole&qid=1561839320&s=kids&sprefix=Crokinol%2Ctoys%2C176&sr=1-1

...something I'll regret? Or is it a good entry level way to play?

It’s a fun game to fill a gap - always produces a laugh but yeah it can be a horrible game if you have a few bad draws. 

I’m enjoying his latest game die Tavernen im Tiefen Thal more - it’s still got elements of luck but as a dice drafting/deck building game it’s at least got more ways to mitigate bad luck.  

On 29/06/2019 at 22:01, Jackson said:

Latest shut up and sit down review makes me really want Crokinole. Anyone played it? Is getting a cheap smaller board like this...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ferti-Games-Crokinole-65-Classic-Game-Skill/dp/B00AA8BFT2/ref=sr_1_1?crid=JI4A88ZHUXHL&keywords=crokinole&qid=1561839320&s=kids&sprefix=Crokinol%2Ctoys%2C176&sr=1-1

...something I'll regret? Or is it a good entry level way to play?

I have a Crokinole board. It's fun in a having a laugh while playing a pub game sort of way. I wouldn't want to play it every week but it I defintiely enjoy it whenever I do play it.

Having a laugh in a pub game kind of way is exactly what I'm after :) I've ordered that one I linked, if I love it I'll probably get a proper expensive board one day but at least it's a low risk investment!

Here's the SUASD review btw..

I paid a similar amount for my board at the Uk games expo a few years ago and it fufills all my wood flicking needs! Hope you enjoy it :)

SU&SD love dexterity games. As they say, it's a bit like they've just discovered pool and are getting excited about it. Crokinole is....whatever. It's OK. It is what it is. 

2 hours ago, Tourist said:

Does anyone know if A Study In Emerald is available in a way that doesn't involve shelling out huge amounts of cash?

Can't help you source it I'm afraid, but when you do find a copy make sure you know which edition you want/are getting - the first and second edition are very different games.

• Upvote 1