rllmuk
Asura

General chatter - discuss anything here

I've never noticed those, shows how much I look at the front page.

We're going to Airecon on the Sunday this year, going to be taking a few games to put up for sale in the bring and buy. I'll post them here first in case anyway wants them and we can avoid postage.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, therearerules said:

Won the 7 Wonders tournament at BM and got Cheating Moth as my prize!

Nice one. I had planned on popping in on Saturday but didn't get chance in the end. Cheating Moth's not a bad little game – I got it (well, Mogel Motte) from a charity shop a while back.

20 hours ago, jonnyalpha said:

I've never noticed those, shows how much I look at the front page.

There's one for millennium blades up now - might as well enter it!

• Upvote 1

I really don't dig framing board gaming promotion to non players just because it can now be seen as trendy - why should something be trendy to be interesting? Play board games because they are fun, not because it's "acceptable" now. It's like being in the board gaming equivalent of the PlayStation WipEout era.

• Upvote 5

Just heard the item on R4 Broadcasting House this morning supposedly about Wingspan. British Museum "historical games" enthusiast dismisses it as too complex & fiddly compared to Ludo. Then another presenter described as "quite into boardgames" is wheeled in to give his perspective and immediately tells us how much he loves Monopoly. I hope Quins is penning a furious "I demand a right to reply" email as I type!

• Upvote 4

Oh! Tempted. Played the base game about five times now with different groups each time-people genrally enjoy it but has not been requested again. 

Edit: grabbed the expanse expansion now, thanks for the impressions 

It's basically got five optional add-ons for the gameplay that you can mix and match, like a Leader unit with special effects, or the Protomolecule being in different players' control, plus a replacement board (with reference info for the new features) and replacement ship tokens that don't all look alike. It's a bit expensive for what you get but I don't really care.

Oh and I think the new board isn't scaled properly for many of the tokens which are meant to go on it, which is a goof.

• Upvote 1

Not sure if anybody is following the furore about GMT's Scramble for Africa. Basically they announced the game on their P500 list (their internal version of kickstarter, essentially); evidently there were some complaints that made them rethink whether the theme and implementation were appropriate; they announced its cancellation and apologised for their lack of awareness; and now they are getting it in the neck from everyone. 

It's a shame because clearly they are just trying to do the right thing; the game itself seems pretty self-evidently problematic (unlike games with a similar colonial theme the game clearly failed to represent the indigenous perspective at all); and GMT relies so heavily on its affinity with its fans. 

Just feels bad man.

EDIT: found this mildly interesting after googling around on the topic, so thought I would share: https://olh.openlibhums.org/articles/10.16995/olh.211/

• Upvote 1

It's taken me a while to work out what the kerfuffle is all about, but here's an article which sums it up:

https://waypoint.vice.com/amp/en_us/article/vb9gd9/a-cancelled-board-game-revealed-how-colonialism-inspires-and-haunts-games

In case anyone else was wondering why "Unpublished Prototype" has sat at that top of Board Game Geek's The Hotness for the past week, it's because that's where all of the discussions surrounding Scramble for Africa have been dumped. Reading through a couple of the threads, it seems that even boardgaming isn't safe from the kind of idiots who use the term "SJW" and rail against a publisher's decision to remove a game from its preorder platform like their First Amendment rights are being violated. :(

• Upvote 3

I was browsing through this month's Tabletop Gaming and had a massive sense of déja vu.  The game featured in the time machine feature - Sorry! -  I played this as a child in the same original version!   If you had just referred to the name of the game I'm sure it wouldn't have meant anything but just looking at the board and the little yellow rule booklet brought it all back.  I think my maternal grandparents had this set (as well as Pit, which featured last month and which I also had memories of playing but much vaguer ones) and we probably played it (pre 1970) either at Christmas or maybe in summer when we kids stayed over for a few days.  The almost art deco style is striking and reminiscent of the signs in tube stations which opened around the same time.  Looking at the original rules online the game was actually rather good and far more sophisticated than the likes of Coppit and Frustration which we had at home; so much so that there is a scoring version for competitive play which involves selecting from a small hand of cards rather than drawing a single card.   The  numbered cards had different uses - a 4 card for example reversed direction - so coming immediately after a 1 or 2 either of which got a "man" out on the board that would position your "man" perfectly for a home run.  7s could be split between multiple men already out, 11s allowed you to exchange places with any other "man", a Sorry card must have been a joker (this was presumably obvious to contemporary audiences).  Landing on the start of an arrow wiped everything in its path as you slid along it.  

IMG_0761.jpg

• Upvote 2

I also read that article and had far less pleasant flashbacks to the late 70s/early 80s.  This bloody card, being read out in a gleeful sing-song voice by a family member as they halted my progress in the game.  I hated it.

Spoiler

I obviously loved doing it to them though.

8186928297_6bab13edc6_b.jpg

• Upvote 1