rllmuk
Asura

General chatter - discuss anything here

22 minutes ago, Tourist said:

I was hoping to keep it open to get a range of options...

I... I guess that doesn't help much...

Ok.

How many players and how long a playtime.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tourist said:

Maybe Mars or Caledonia then I guess. I saw azul but it doesn't appeal to me for some reason. I would live to get scytbe but I think it might be a bit too big for my case...

Actually, out of those three what is the best single player game?

I haven’t played Azul but CoC plays well as a single player game.

I’d also recommend Arkham Horror LCG or LOTR LCG. Both are awesome and both play well solo too.

one Deck Dungeon is a great wee solo game in a wee box

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Tourist said:

Maybe Mars or Caledonia then I guess. I saw azul but it doesn't appeal to me for some reason. I would live to get scytbe but I think it might be a bit too big for my case...

Actually, out of those three what is the best single player game?

I can only comment on TM, as that's the only solo variant I've actually played (not tried Scythe and don't own CoC). TM's solo mode is really good though. Tough, but always different, and full of interesting decisions.

• Upvote 2

I actually hate one deck dungeon, having bought it at last year's pax east!

If clans of Caledonia has a single player variant maybe I will look for that or scythe...

Edit: oh. Or terraforming Mars I guess!

Thanks guys.

I've got Scythe and enjoy it... I think I prefer CoC as I feel there's more going on and more player interaction.  I'm too scared to try Scythe solo though, looks complicated.

I find Scythe a bit limited as a SP experience simply because utilising each factions special skill /ability is the way to go each time and if you are comfortable with playing 3 or 4 hands a time you burn through it fairly quickly.  Gorgeous design though, and it's a keeper.  It would surely fit into a suitcase if that's your bag.

Terra Mystica on the other hand takes a lot longer to work through because there are more factions and more interaction possibilities (and Gaia Project is a more complex variant on that)  I also like Trickerion which combines lovely design with some fiendishly clever "worker placement" ideas.  Concordia, Marco Polo and Dominant Species would be on the also rans list for crunchy games suitable for SP.

Gloomhaven is the king of co-op dungeon crawlers as far as I'm concerned (and ideal for SP) but there seem to be several out there just now.

Edited by Cosmic_Guru
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, cavalcade said:

@Sie Picked up City of Kings (retail) just sent off for two overlays and the realistic resources from the website. Excited to play, but the mixed critical response has been interesting. I think it might suit our group (we like Gloom of Kilforth that I think has some similarities to CoK) but we really didn't take to Gloomhaven and Too Many Bones is so good, I'm hoping CoK can do the business and find its niche. 

Love the box though. Gorgeous. 

Also just picked up Lisboa.

I'm maybe thinking, fuck it, no games for less than £80 from now on.  

Hmm, I didn't realise it had even received a mixed response. I'm still pretty new to table top board games and don't have a whole lot of experience with other games to compare it to but I thoroughly enjoyed playing it. It did a good job of keeping things moving, presenting new challenges and things to think about.

Tom Vasel, notably, gave it a lukewarm review. I don't agree with Tom on everything, but he did make some valid points. I think one of the concerns swirling around these massive Kickstarter games is that the hype and early adopters often push vastly overinflated marks on BGG and create a culture where anyone shitting on the game gets attacked. The hype then dies and the games often drop like a stone from the hot list, and the next big thing comes along. Notable exceptions might be Gloomhaven and Too Many Bones that both, largely, lived up to the hype (though we tired of Gloomhaven quite quickly). 

I'd noticed CoK on Kickstarter but hadn't backed, but even after the round of reviews figured it would suit our group so picked it up at retail. I did a little test game last night and I think it'll play well with us, but could see why some might have an issue with it. It has the same mechanical feel that Gloom of Kilforth has - more of an analytical puzzle than an "adventure" - but that's the sort of thing we normally dig. It's clearly not as good as Mage Knight.... but what game is? :D 

• Upvote 3

Having these huge Kickstarter games available in tiny quantities to non-backers also builds the hype - Boardgameguru sends out an email every Friday evening and typically the hottest items always sell out within minutes, which is why I kept my Gloomhaven preorder with him live for 6 months.  I saw Swords & sorcery on Amazon and grabbed a copy quickly without researching critical opinion beforehand (see the what are you playing thread for some thoughts on that one).  I'm guessing that games find their "true" level (or an approximation thereof) some time after release on the boardgamegeek ranking, but of course everyone has their own preferences for genre etc.

I really should get Mage Knight out again before I collapse the dining table....

Okay still trying to decide between: 

Anachrony, but the box is huge and I will definitely get busted by my wife.

Terraforming Mars but I wonder if I am that interested in the theme, and don't know if I like the fact that you basically play the board.

Clans of Caledonia but it looks so boring.

Decisions decisions.

If you’re after a single player game have a look at Spirit Island. It’s a co-op game so easy to do by yourself. I played it yesterday and really liked it. Lovely theme and interesting decisions.

• Upvote 2

On 07/04/2018 at 16:37, Tourist said:

Okay still trying to decide between: 

Anachrony, but the box is huge and I will definitely get busted by my wife.

Terraforming Mars but I wonder if I am that interested in the theme, and don't know if I like the fact that you basically play the board.

Clans of Caledonia but it looks so boring.

Decisions decisions.

I haven't played TM but I consider Anachrony to be a far better game than CoC, if that helps at all.

Anyone here backed Unbroken?

I really like what I've seen of that game so far (I only stumbled cross it late last night when browsing kickstarter) and I'm thinking of throwing some money at it. I love the grim dungeon crawler aesthetic it has and that, for a pretty fast paced game, it squeezes in a nice amount of meaningful decision making (or seems to).

Spotted that on the solo boardgaming Facebook group. Looks nice but in the light of anachrony I am going to try to choose my marriage over a dungeon delve. It would be nice, though, if it could deliver what one deck dungeon promised but didn't deliver...

On 08/04/2018 at 08:31, SimonC said:

If you’re after a single player game have a look at Spirit Island. It’s a co-op game so easy to do by yourself. I played it yesterday and really liked it. Lovely theme and interesting decisions.

Spirit Island is great and the expansion adds a lot (also worth getting the promo spirits if you can). 

Rearranged my collection again over the weekend. This is about half of it. Feel I might be reaching the "sell some of your games, you tit" phase of this hobby. My flat is also starting to go full manchild bachelor. 

bgc.jpg

• Upvote 2

I'm putting aside games to sell at the UK Games Expo later this year. I've done that a few times and it's quite cathartic and then lessens the blow when you spend lots on new games in the trade hall.

• Upvote 1

Spent the past year doing the same, starting with last year's Expo. I've now sold a full Billy book case worth of games. I've got 1.5 left, but. Huge chunk of those are the nonsense games my lad has, so they'll go in time regardless.

I'd rather focus on things that will get played, or are excellent examples of their kind, than have a large collection which features stuff that is surplus to requirements (because, like, who needs 4 versions of Zombicide and all their expansions?).

I like Modern Zombicide and the fantasy version. It's a decent one to bring out for non-hardcore gamers. I agree, having billions of flavours of it can be over the top - but the variety in the zombies does make for a better game in both. Plus they're fun to paint.... But the general point is true, agreed!

Could I just check, while I'm here - is it someone on 'muk who has experience with Millenium Blades? I've just bought it and I'm wondering if there's sufficient shuffling to mean sleeves are important, and also I'm hearing huge predicted timescales to build the "wads" of money - how long did it take you?

42 minutes ago, cavalcade said:

Could I just check, while I'm here - is it someone on 'muk who has experience with Millenium Blades? I've just bought it and I'm wondering if there's sufficient shuffling to mean sleeves are important, and also I'm hearing huge predicted timescales to build the "wads" of money - how long did it take you?

I've played a friend's copy. I think creating the wads of cash took him most of an evening.

During the tournament phases, you have your entire deck in your hand, so there's not very much shuffling in MB at all, after you create the store deck at the start of the game. There is a lot of moving cards around though, picking them up, throwing them down, flipping them over, making little piles for archiving, trading them between players, etc. I'm not sure I'd sleeve it myself though, and I sleeve most everything, because there are just so many cards. The store deck when sleeved would tower over the table.

Cool, handy thanks. I'll leave it. I think the cost of sleeves might add up to half the cost of the game itself.... so it's probably crazy. 

What did you think of the game?

2 hours ago, cavalcade said:

I like Modern Zombicide and the fantasy version. It's a decent one to bring out for non-hardcore gamers. I agree, having billions of flavours of it can be over the top - but the variety in the zombies does make for a better game in both. Plus they're fun to paint.... But the general point is true, agreed!

Sorry, I just realised that could be taken the wrong way. I was very much talking about my shelves ;)

4 hours ago, Hexx said:

So...uh....

Whatcha selling?

Tickets and hotel booked for an Fri/Sat trip to Birmingham Expo. Woot

A bit of a mixture:

Hanabi Deluxe (Mahjong tiles not cards)

Escape

Super Dungeon Explore: Forgotten King

Guardians Chronicles Episode 1

Spy or Die Trying

Escape from the Aliens in Outer Space

Aquarium

Renaissance

Magic Maze

Through the Ages (First Edition)

Mythos Tales

Those Pesky Humans

Oregon

Onward to Venus

Mousquetaires du Roy

Richelieu

Warships

Ace of Spies

Hoping to offload all of that and then make sure I play lots of demos. I'm there for the whole thing this time. :)

3 hours ago, cavalcade said:

That's the thing I remember reading! It was you all along #mnightshalymanaman

I also bought it after being made aware of its existence by revlobs write up. Played it twice now and it’s superb and unlike anything I’ve ever played. The money takes a couple of hours to make and there’s far too many cards to sleeve it. You can pre build the huge deck before you play ( I’ve got it all ready in the box with the reccomended set up) so set up is is quick but it’s takes a bit of sorting at the end of the game. All totally worth it though!