rllmuk
Asura

General chatter - discuss anything here

Iss, I saw Galaxy Trucker in Wargames Emporium in Sheffield today, it was £59. I don't know if you're near, and it looked like they were boxing up to sell at a show but it could be worth giving them a tinkle tomorrow.

0114 2754826

Is there a good place to buy pre-painted miniatures? eBay seems like a minefield for that kind of thing. I was thinking of buying my mate some Space Marines or a Dreadnought for his Space Crusade deck as a birthday present but finding decent painted ones is needle-in-haystack time again.

After what feels like a VERY long time (and no small amount of badgering from both myself and Michael) a certain advertiser on a certain podcast sent through a certain payment promised to a certain Campfire for uncertain services. Four games, as yet unplayed but dutifully oohed and aahed over: For Sale, Roll Through the Ages, Through the Ages and Age of Empires 3: Age of Discovery. Not much to say about them yet except Through the Ages looks terribly deep, Age of Empires 3 comes with four hundred pieces, and Roll Through the Ages is played upon beautiful wooden pegboards and is therefore daddy's favourite.

I do love Roll Through The Ages. It's a shame that they didn't go further with the pegboards and made the paper booklet wooden instead...But it's a great game. Soliataire on iPhone gets plenty of play from me still as well.

Four hundred pieces? FOUR HUNDRED PIECES? Mental. Is it one of those games that takes a day to set up and three days to play?

I remember a few Christmases ago, a friend of mine invited myself and another mate to play a game of the whole world edition of Axis and Allies and we were still going after six solid hours. We gave up shortly afterwards as the game's owner and his brother were starting to get annoyed with us. We were bored senseless so we started cheating and pissing about, but being a pair of WWII enthusiasts they were taking it all terribly seriously! It was horrendous.

From the makers of Infernal Contraption come Heap, which seems like Scrapheap Challenge in game form. Looks fun, probably be another that's best with 3/4 players rather than 2.

• Upvote 1

So I was talking in the Spends thread about getting a game called All In as it can double as a dice tower. I got it the other day and realised it was way too plastic and shiny to have any kind of friction, meaning the dice would fly all over the damn place.

Anyway, I bought some self-adhesive felt off eBay for £1.50 and did a quick mod:

allin.jpg

As you can see, I had to use something to keep the dice in at the end, so glued some foam board to stop the dice spilling out. The flash is a bit harsh, as it all looks a lot smoother and neater in natural light, promise!

The dice that come with it are lightweight, 14mm ones that really fly about, so the felt's great for keeping them in check. Regular, heavier 16mm d6s and even pretty-much-frictionless d20s seem to be handled well by the fuzzy felts!

Had a very quick go of the game itself with Mrs. Treb, and it's a very basic interpretation of poker, with the emphasis on betting on the outcome of the dice roll and bluffing your way through - rubbish with two people, but I reckon with 3 or 4 it may fill a 20 minute gap.

For a total spend of about £7.40 for a fully-working dice tower and card/dice game, you can't moan!

• Upvote 1

Woo Hoo! Looks like I will be coming to the UK expo after all. I'll be there with my daughter and a friend with his two kids in tow. Looking forward to seeing some of you lot there as well and maybe getting to play Ace of Spies!

Well, we'll have at least a nearly finished version available to play there... book now for thrills and excitement!*

*thrills and excitement not guaranteed

Anyone going to the Games Lore mini-Con 28th April?

Telford Mini-Con 2012

Telford Mini-Con will be held on Saturday 28th April 2012 at Shifnal Village Hall. Start time is 10.00am and will run until 10.00pm

Games

We'll be running Board and Card Games but if you want to come and encourage others to play your favourite RPG or TCG (Warhammer: Invasion is our current thought) then feel free.

We will arrange a small library of Board and Card Games which may be borrowed during the event.

Attending

Shifnal Village Hall will accommodate up to 120 people, please contact telfordminicon@gameslore.com to reserve a space. Cost of entry will be £5. You will get a free ticket for a prize draw.

Refreshments

There are limited kitchen facilities at the venue, however tea and coffee will be available. There won't be food on the premises, but there is plenty of choice within 200 yards of the venue. (Restaurants, Cafe's, Pub's, Take-aways and Shops)

There will be a bar at the event, so you will only need the local pubs for the pub grub.

Traders

Games Lore Ltd will run a small stall with a limited selection of games at the event, if you want a particular game then it will be safer to let us know in advance.

Either contact us by email telfordminicon@gameslore.com or phone us on 0800 970 2731.

Shifnal Village Hall, Aston Street, Shifnal, Telford, Shropshire TF11 8DW. For location details please see Google Maps.

Shifnal is approximately one and a half miles from J4 of the M54.

Trains run every half hour from Birmingham New Street or Shrewsbury to Shifnal.

Parking is in the Public Car Park next to the village hall, the Railway Station at Shifnal is a short walk away. There are a number of hotels and B&B's within Shifnal that are only a 5 minute walk from the venue.

Mmm, thats about an hour from me, I should make the effort. Might be a last minute decision though

I'm about to pick up the Lord of the Rings LCG and had a question about the extra adventure packs. Can you pick them up in any order? They appear to be self-contained adventures. Would this be right?

I'm about to pick up the Lord of the Rings LCG and had a question about the extra adventure packs. Can you pick them up in any order? They appear to be self-contained adventures. Would this be right?

Yes they are, but to keep in line with the game's theme, you'd be looking to buy them in order. Like with most card games of any sort though, once you get one (at least within the cycle), you'll at least have a reason to get them all.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for that. Really looking forward to it. :)

No problem. You might want to bookmark the LotR deck builder and the LotR database. They're pretty handy once you start to amass all of that cardboard. I just took delivery of Return to Mirkwood this morning and that completes the Shadows of Mirkwood cycle. I have two core sets which means my card count sits at 812 so far. :)

Also, I haven't tried it yet but you can play LotR LCG online for free at Lackey CCG. Fantasy Flight knows this system exists and they seem to be quite happy. The guy who codes it has agreed that each new expansion has to be out for at least six months before he codes it into the game so that might be why. We should set up a rllmuk session soon.

• Upvote 1

No problem. You might want to bookmark the LotR deck builder and the LotR database. They're pretty handy once you start to amass all of that cardboard. I just took delivery of Return to Mirkwood this morning and that completes the Shadows of Mirkwood cycle. I have two core sets which means my card count sits at 812 so far. :)

Also, I haven't tried it yet but you can play LotR LCG online for free at Lackey CCG. Fantasy Flight knows this system exists and they seem to be quite happy. The guy who codes it has agreed that each new expansion has to be out for at least six months before he codes it into the game so that might be why. We should set up a rllmuk session soon.

I've just shuddered at what the investment in card proctectors is going to be.

So you can build your own decks then? Interesting. I've seen a few games played on Youtube but didn't realise you could tailor your decks like Magic. Even more intrigued.

I've just shuddered at what the investment in card proctectors is going to be.

Yeah, I've just bought 500 premium card sleeves from a chap on eBay. £17 so far and it'll be another 500 next week. Then there's the deck boxes that I want. :facepalm:

So you can build your own decks then? Interesting. I've seen a few games played on Youtube but didn't realise you could tailor your decks like Magic. Even more intrigued.

Deck building's at the very core of the game. "Tournament" decks are a minimum of 50, and a maximum of three of the same card in a deck. The only problem with the game is that in a bid to give the player more variety, Fantasy Flight didn't put three of each player card in the core deck. Some of them come in threes, others only in two and a fair few singles. That's why it's very common to see "serious" players buying two or even three (!) core sets. I moaned and ranted about it on this thread before it sunk its teeth right into me. Every other box (even the big one) expansion supplies three of each player card bar the first one which makes some people baulk.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I've just bought 500 premium card sleeves from a chap on eBay. £17 so far and it'll be another 500 next week. Then there's the deck boxes that I want. :facepalm:

Deck building's at the very core of the game. "Tournament" decks are a minimum of 50, and a maximum of three of the same card in a deck. The only problem with the game is that in a bid to give the player more variety, Fantasy Flight didn't put three of each player card in the core deck. Some of them come in threes, others only in two and a fair few singles. That's why it's very common to see "serious" players buying two or even three (!) core sets. I moaned and ranted about it on this thread before it sunk its teeth right into me. Every other box (even the big one) expansion supplies three of each player card bar the first one which makes some people baulk.

I noticed in the video I watched that the decks seemed to be split into different types ie: tactics, questing etc. When you build decks do you need to keep them within these parameters? Sorry for the questions, I'm at work and can't get on any of the sites for the game.

I noticed in the video I watched that the decks seemed to be split into different types ie: tactics, questing etc. When you build decks do you need to keep them within these parameters? Sorry for the questions, I'm at work and can't get on any of the sites for the game.

The player cards are in four "spheres", as you've noticed. They are: Tactics (combat), Leadership (buffing and enhancing), Lore (healing) and Spirit (questing). Each sphere can do a little bit of the other things but they're obviously strongest in their own areas. You can mix your deck up to incorporate two or even three spheres at once. The most common solo build is Leadership/Lore although Tactics/Spirit has been getting uber strong as the adventure packs have been released.

You've probably also noticed that there are three heroes in play for each player. They more or less define how your deck will be built. In short: if you want a Tactics/Lore/Spirit deck, you need to have one hero from each sphere to allow you to play them. Each sphere comes with two or three heroes with different strengths and weaknesses; some of the heroes are good at tackling the main two phases of the game (combat and questing) while others are brilliant at drawing extra cards and/or money per turn and even healing.

However you set up your heroes, you'll want to build a deck that supports their weaknesses for the main part, and maybe include some cards that'll enhance what they're really good at too. This is my first experience with a deck building game and I've done a ton of reading on the Board Game Geek LotR forum and I think I'm getting the core concepts down. Fantasy Flight writes some decent articles on helping you build your first decks but as you can imagine, they encourage you to buy the adventure packs to get "this awesome new card". If you've played any other CCG then I'm sure you'll already be ten times better at deck building than I am.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for all of the great info. I've played Magic for some 15 years so I'm hoping that will stand me in good stead. Very excited about the deck building.

Thanks for all of the great info. I've played Magic for some 15 years so I'm hoping that will stand me in good stead. Very excited about the deck building.

No problem. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Anyone played any of the Wings of War flight combat games? Any good?

I haven't myself, but I have a friend who's got one of the games and speaks very highly of it, I just haven't got round to playing a game with him yet.

Still trying to limit myself to a boardgame a month.. think Aprils will be Lords of Waterdeep

low_productshot.jpg

Not sure if anyones played it yet but liking the sound of the mix of Fantasy and Euro Worker/Resource based gameplay. Got a quote from Shire Games newsletter about how it plays.

I think this week's Game of the Week just has to be Lords of Waterdeep.

When I first heard about this hybrid between your typical "Euro" style of game and a Dungeons & Dragons game, I was a little sceptical. But, having opened a copy, punched it out and read the rules, all doubts went away, and having now played it, I can safely say that this has the potential to become one of the group's favourite games.

The playing time on the box of 60 minutes may be a tad ambitious, although we were five players playing for the first time, which is bound to slow things down a little. And it is possible, if you have four players who have each played a few games of it, that 60-75 minutes might be possible.

The game is a "worker placement" game, with - at the start of the game - nine different buildings on which to place your "agents". You place an agent into an unoccupied spot and do what that building lets you do, and then - if you are able - you can complete a quest. And then it is the next player's turn.

The number of agents you have is player-count dependant, but in a 5-player game we only had two each, so rounds were short. An extra agent is given to everyone at the half-way stage, so the second half is actually two-thirds of the game. You know what I mean.

There are four colours of cube in the game: Orange (Fighters), White (Clerics), Purple (Wizards) and Black (Rogues). All of your Quest cards will need a certain combination of these cubes to complete, possibly along with some cash, and then they will give you a VP reward, and sometimes a game-long extra ability, if it was a Plot Quest that you completed.

The quests come in five different flavours: Commerce, Arcana, Warfare, Piety, and Skulduggery, and each player is secretly dealt a Lord of Waterdeep card at the start of the game, giving him a pair of those quests that will be worth more to him at the end of the game.

And there is one more deck of cards: The Intrigue cards. These can be attack cards to play on others, utility cards that may help everyone, or "Mandatory Quest" cards that you can foist on another player and make them do that before they get back to what they were doing.

So ..... The buildings where you can place your agents. Several of them get you cubes. One of them gets you cash. One of them gets you the Start Player marker and an Intrigue card. One of them lets you pay for and build a new building onto the board, immediately giving everyone an extra place to put their agent. And of course, when someone places an agent on your building, you get a bonus.

The other two buildings each have three open spots for agents:

One is the tavern where you can get new Quest cards. You can get a Quest card and an Intrigue card, or a Quest card and a little cash, or you can sweep the face-up Quest cards, get a fresh set to choose from, and take one of those.

And the other three-space building is the Harbor (sic). You have to place an agent in one of these three numbered spaces if you want to play an Intrigue card. But the good news here is, at the end of the round, the agents in the Harbor (sic) are reassigned, so you basically get to take another turn with them.

And that, as they say, is pretty much the whole thing. There's also a little Puerto Rico style thing where unbuilt buildings get points place on them every round, making them more appealing to build.

The game is one of those where your turn will come round, you have three agents and three things you want to do, but which one do you do now, and which do you hope might still be available next turn?

In my opinion, it is definitely one of the better "worker placement" games, without actually introducing much in the way of new mechanisms, and if it becomes a regular 60-75 minute game, I can see it getting a lot of table time. I'm not a big D&D fan at all, but the theme didn't bother me in the slightest, and those that are fans will enjoy it even more.

• Upvote 1