rllmuk
Asura

General chatter - discuss anything here

Okay, I'd chip in for a Farmageddon.

But the point of my post was that it was more the price than the game interesting me. Well done, worst-demons of rllmuk.

This is a very self-serving plug, but as well as being appropriate on Discussion (where I don't dare advertise it) it's also pertinent to the much friendlier Gaming Unplugged.

Both Michael Fox and myself have written articles for http://www.continuemag.com/ a new gaming features magazine from some of the old PC Zone lot. Rather than following the well-trodden path of news, reviews and previews it's a more esoteric look at gaming as a whole, with articles from some of the top writers in the industry--as well as a couple of features from us smelly, rubbish types.

As you might have guessed, our contribution to the first issue leans toward tabletop gaming: Michael's written an obituary for designer James St. Laurent and a piece on the revamped Merchant of Venus, while I've written about the forthcoming edition of D&D and a mammoth history of video game to board game adaptations. Other pertinent articles include a look at D&D Kids and the impact Monopoly had on the life of a Second World War soldier.

There are also loads of shiny pictures to look at and articles on video games, whatever THEY are.

It's a fantastic magazine well deserving of your attention and cash, as well as being a bold statement regarding games and the current state of writing about them. I know editor Paul Presley has some big plans and high hopes for the magazine, as he should. It deserves to be a success.

That URL again: http://www.continuemag.com/

Cheers, maties.

• Upvote 2

I thought there was going to be a paper and ink version too (even if it would be expensive to buy) ??? Because it's laid out like one.

A digital magazine less compatible with an iPad than Disposable Media was (in that you can't view the preview at all) whilst being launched 6 years later is quite an achievement.

I'll look at it when I'm on a desktop computer. That'll be nostalgic.

• Upvote 1

A digital magazine less compatible with an iPad than Disposable Media was (in that you can't view the preview at all) whilst being launched 6 years later is quite an achievement.

I'll look at it when I'm on a desktop computer. That'll be nostalgic.

Love the idea of the "magazine" and will likely buy the first issue but frankly couldn't agree more with this sentiment. My web access is dominated by iPhone and iPad. If its not properly readable on those platforms (and PDFis a cop out) then its already dead to me. Yes I might struggle on because people I enjoy reading are writing for it (and they'll nudge on here every three months) but if it was on Newsstand or a proper login based website then I'd be more likely to stick with it.

There's a thing on the site for extra special paper copies now, though they're $9.99+P&P and it's a limited first-come first-served run.

I'll mention your problems to Paul, see if there's anything he can do about it.

Registered too.

Now tell him to not be an arse and make the next digital edition a proper digital magazine.

Just got spiel box the other day. I don't know if it's the translation, but it's not a very interesting magazine :(. I think they're really missing a trick with the design and structure.

• Upvote 1

I like it as something to read once in a while, but you're right - it's not the best magazine. I think you're right; the translation is often pretty dry. I actually got in touch with the magazine to see if they accepted writers submissions from outside Germany and they said no, not even for the English language edition.

I got a subscription for the first year of spielbox but didn't continue it now I just get Counter which is a small press fanzine released quarterly.

Moan time. I want to buy Epic Spell Wars. It's out on the Cryptozoic store, but no UK seller has it even listed. Why? Why the fuck do these fucking idiots do things like this? I WANT TO GIVE YOU MY FUCKING MONEY, WHY WON'T YOU MAKE IT AVAILABLE IN MY COUNTRY?

It hacks me right fucking off, like the entitled, consumerist pig dog that I am. I asked about the UK release date on the 2nd of Feb. I've not heard anything. It's shit like this that made me stop buying Nintendo products new. I've cut me nose off to spite my face before and glued it back on, I'll do it again. You heard.

Proper to buy copies? Any idea how much ish? and you're going to be an exhibitor at Essen, wow how cool is that! Who's going to interview you? I hear the LMD guy is busy.

I can do it! I can suck up with the best of them and I'm really good at nodding away pretending I understand strange accents. Should I brush up on anything else?

Glad everyone's excited about it! Things are still a bit up in the air regarding dates, but having talked to the production company last night we're aiming for an official release at Essen. There's a possibility we'll have some copies for UK Expo, but if not there'll certainly be a final prototype for people to check out and play with.

The company I'm working with are planning a Kickstarter (what else?!) campaign within the next month or so. As soon as I have more info I'm allowed to spill, I'll let you guys know.

Anyone know anywhere with Galaxy Trucker in stock new? A mate is after copy and everywhere seems to be out of stock.