rllmuk
Asura

General chatter - discuss anything here

I had a nice surprise when I got in a short time ago and checked my emails. I've won a 'played once' copy of Memoir '44 on ebay that I completely forgot I'd bid upon! I got it for a barginacious £24. Can't be bad.

Forbidden Island arrived yesterday too, but we were too tired to give it a play so it'll be getting busted out this weekend hopefully. Happy days.

My wife bought me Small World from there at Christmas. She'd originally ordered Chaos in the Old World and the guy emailed her to say it "wasn't available anywhere in the UK at the moment" which is a lie but once she changed it to SW, it was here the next day.

My Catan promo board for 7 Wonders came! Lovely little letter with it too...

IMAG0987.jpg

The A side is pretty funky - start off with no resources, but you can trade any two brown/silver resources for any one brown/silver resource that you need to play a card. Simulatin' port tradin' and all that. Plus, the level two Wonder gets you 7 gold, and forces every other player to give two gold to the bank. Roll a 7... robber... fnarr...

IMAG0988.jpg

B side slightly less interesting - same starting ability, get one extra leader and play one leader at level one Wonder.

IMAG0989.jpg

Still, sits nicely with the ol' Manneken Pis promo board. All I need now is the truly ridiculous Stevie Wonder promo card...

www.uplay.it_7_Wonders__Leaders_-_Stevie_Wonder_Promo_Card--400x400.png

Amazing.

• Upvote 1

Cosmic Incursion arrived today, 20 more aliens and some plastic orange ships for a game I've only played once with 3 players and was mildly disappointed with :lol:

What a strange hobby.

I bought a second core set of LotR LCG and AP1's on its way. This is the result of me doing a fair bit of research after me moaning about it all. The bottom line of my findings is though: moar cardboard! :wub:

Fucking Epic Spell Wars isn't anywhere to be seen. Bet Cryptozoic haven't sorted it out with Esdevium yet. Mother fuckers.

This week sees the Tanto Cuore expansion and also a game based around Lupin III. Interesting.

I wasn't that fussed - but now I really want "Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt. Skullzfyre" not just coz it's called "Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt. Skullzfyre" and I can tell everyone I've just bought a new game "Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt. Skullzfyre" but also because it looks quite good fun

At first I wasn't sure about the art style - but it's grown on me, reminds me of the John Detrich's 'custom culture' stuff a little

Also, the instruction book says that you have to announce your spell in your best wizard voice and if you don't the other players get to impose a punishment on you. that's going to go down well with Strawdonkey.

• Upvote 1

I don't spend much time in this corner of the forum but I do like various board and card games and have been spending some time browsing Kickstarter after backing Double Fine and I have found what I think are a couple of nice little card game projects to back that might interest some of you guys. There's a game called Skittykitts which looks pretty good, it's not too deep so will be fun for the casual card gamer, for $12 you get a copy of the game and they've managed to raise twice the amount they requested so are sending double the decks to everyone, so $12 get's you two decks. There's also a game called Farmageddon which looks really good too and is only $17 for a deck and delivery if they get another $150 they'll include an expansion with every deck.

Hopefully some of you will find these interesting, there's quite a lot of game projects on there that look good but some of them are quite expensive to actually get a copy of the final game. Anybody else found anything like this?

I don't spend much time in this corner of the forum but I do like various board and card games and have been spending some time browsing Kickstarter after backing Double Fine and I have found what I think are a couple of nice little card game projects to back that might interest some of you guys. There's a game called Skittykitts which looks pretty good, it's not too deep so will be fun for the casual card gamer, for $12 you get a copy of the game and they've managed to raise twice the amount they requested so are sending double the decks to everyone, so $12 get's you two decks. There's also a game called Farmageddon which looks really good too and is only $17 for a deck and delivery if they get another $150 they'll include an expansion with every deck.

Hopefully some of you will find these interesting, there's quite a lot of game projects on there that look good but some of them are quite expensive to actually get a copy of the final game. Anybody else found anything like this?

There's a few on there that have had my interest, but with International shipping it just gets silly expensive. I want Miskatonic School for Girls and D-Day Dice but they've finished.

Farmageddon is getting hype over at BGG I think.

Played a LOT of games this weekend. Here's the list with speedy thoughts:

Die Spiecherstadt - excellent bidding mechanism, simple to play but requires a fair bit of thought. Really enjoyed it, want to play more!

7 Wonders - why has it taken me so long to get my own copy of this? Very light, sure, but it's bloody great. The very definition of "Do whatever everyone else isn't doing".

Conflicting Kingdoms - indie card game, lots of dice based combat, very easy to get into, but possibly one of the ugliest things I've ever seen. Not bad at all.

Dungeon Run - played as a two, I'm not really a feeling it. Needs to have three at least to get the best from it.

Cyclades - Fuck ME, what a game. So much to keep an eye on yet so straightforward. Excellent stuff. Can't wait to try it again.

Tier auf Tier - If you don't like stacking small wooden animals, you're obviously dead inside.

WoWTCG - Still my favourite trading card game. Still shit at building decks.

Sunrise City - new one from Clever Mojo. I'm loving it more and more every time I play it. Build those zones, get buildings on top of them, score points. Never outstays its welcome as there's only three rounds, played it twice.

I had to pop down to London today for a meeting about some potential design work, so on the journey we had a game of Forbidden Island on the iPad (which was great - brilliant adaptation!) and a quick round of Ascension. Got to the pub, ended up playing Geiste Blitz (simple kids card game that everyone should try at least once!), had my meeting, played Sunrise City again, tried out Alien Frontiers on iPad, then came home.

All in all, not a bad weekend :D

Good weekend with a few games.

On Saturday I got a couple of games of Carcassone in between the two (well one) Six Nations games. It was with two "non-gamers" who had only played it once before. Great to see them enjoying it even if I'm a little Carc-ed-out. In the first I won with a massive farm that grew around a farmer placed on my first go. The second I also won but only because only having seen the value of my first ame farm they both fell for the classic belief that if it was good once it always will be. But it was excellent for showing them the depth that the game hides.

Today we got out my mates copy of Arkham Horror for the first time. Its a game i want to adore and was intending to buy until he did (we avoid crossover to increase our coverage). We had a few rules issues and must say the rule book is a bit of a mess (similar to my opinion of BSGs book). We muddled through and had good fun, eventually getting a victory by sealing six portals. I'm not quite sold yet but I did have a good time. More plays needed.

Finished with three rounds of starter Dominion. Playing the starter setup with one new player and it's getting more predictable with these cards. Still great but looking forwards to mixing it up with different card sets and the expansions we've now got.

There's a few on there that have had my interest, but with International shipping it just gets silly expensive. I want Miskatonic School for Girls and D-Day Dice but they've finished.

Farmageddon is getting hype over at BGG I think.

I almost went for Farmaggedon just because I wanted something off Kickstarter and it was the only one with reasonable shipping.

Farmageddon is only $5 delivery and they've hit their target so a free expansion is included with every pack, if people chip in together it brings the cost down, as michael said it's only $29 for two packs including delivery. One of the other things I liked about Skittykits was that it was free international delivery.

D-Day Dice looked good too but I was definitely too late to that unfortunately.

Memoir '44 has just arrived! I've been sidelined with bouts sickness since Friday morning so didn't get chance to play anything over the weekend, and I'm looking forward to getting this set up later for a bit of solo play to lighten my mood :)

Edit - although if my dice rolling in this is anything like it is in the online version, it could dramatically worsen the mood.....

Tier auf Tier - If you don't like stacking small wooden animals, you're obviously dead inside.

I bought this for my kids for Christmas, after you mentioned it here a few months ago I think. It's just so much fun! There can't be too many games a 3, 6 and 37 year old can all play together and all enjoy equally.