rllmuk
Asura

General chatter - discuss anything here

Any recommendations for containers (zip bags etc) to keep game components separated?

Mainly for my Dungeons and Dragons Adventure System games, they have a boatload of counters etc that just all get scrambles whenever I take them to a gaming session.

I got all mine from Rymans the stationers. They have a few sizes, I basically bought the ones that weren't tiny for a fiver or something for a load. Basically, get to Rymans or Staples and have a look for the ziplock type bags.

I do like a game that comes with an excess of wee baggies as I determinedly refer to them as. Amytis was pretty good, Arkham Horror was cack in that regard.

Hobbycraft sell loads of different little containers which are perfect for storing counters. Plus you don't have to remove them from the boxes when you play, just take the lids off and you're good to go.

I've found buying PC cases, after-market coolers and motherboards tends to leave the buyer furnished with many useful little bags. Admittedly, that may be a little more expensive an approach than just buying the bags outright, but good to know for any would-be PC builders ;)

Rio Grande games seem to pack extra bags to put stuff in, which is brilliant. If you need any money bags i've got an excess from work I could pop in the post?

Jump onto Amazon and search for ziploc bags. I just got three packs of 100 bags (three different sizes) for under a fiver.

• Upvote 1

Cheers, just got loads of baggies and a plastic compartmentalized case for a fiver delivered, feels like stealing.

The case is for Band of Brothers, a terrific game. Played the first two scenarios with my dad, and now the rules are second nature. It is really simple yet you need to take completely realistic approaches, can't wait to ramp things up with some tanks and artillery soon.

Cheers, just got loads of baggies and a plastic compartmentalized case for a fiver delivered, feels like stealing.

Got a link for that, please?

Dominion is on iOS and the base set is currently free!!!

Its an unofficial one, but uses all the art assets. Apparently, the guys who own Dominion are bringing their official version out in a few weeks but are happy for the unofficial ones to be there until then, which is very nice of them.

There's also a Richard Garfield game, Kard Combat out there.

Fukcing iOS.

You say that, but the reason people don't port stuff to Android is because they make no money on there. Android users will not pay for apps in general, thats a cold hard fact, so developers (including myself) won't go to the effort of porting apps over, because you just won't make any money

I get why they don't do it, but I don't have to like it. I know the Android marketplace is fucked, but that's all down to Google being shit with their OS. It's so fucking disparate because of the handsets that they can't keep a lid on anything.

It's probably the same reason John and Ste Pickford haven't ported Magnetic Billiards (aside from being a 2 man team and still updating the iOS version). Still, FF have Elder Sign on there, for example. Ascension is supposed to be coming as is a Thunderstone app.

Yeah, it's pretty grim for the Android app market. All the advice I have had is don't bother with Android. It's a shame. But it's also down to the users. Android users seem to want a smartphone but then don't want to pay to expand the experience. iPhone users do. I nearly swapped for a galaxy S2 recently, but the apps I already own on the iPhone swung it.

Anyhow, back on topic. Card games and board games are great aren't they? I realised I own a Lord of the Rings Risk version yesterday. Need to teach my lads that I think

One day all of these games will come to Windows Phone, with full Live functionality, and I will laugh at all you iPhone and Android users!

One day :(

Dominion is on iOS and the base set is currently free!!!

The version that's on the Apple store is completely unofficial, and not released by Rio Grande Games.

It'll be pulled very soon. The designer has posted his dismay about it on BGG

Rio Grande are going to be releasing something first quarter 2012, no news yet if it's iOS, Android, PC or XBLA/PSN.

Dominion (Digital Release) – First Quarter 2012

One day all of these games will come to Windows Phone, with full Live functionality, and I will laugh at all you iPhone and Android users!

One day :(

I'm going back to iOS once I can upgrade my phone. My WP7 is rubbish for board games. Uno is about as good as it gets. Well, that and a MtG rip-off, the name of which I can't remember. :(

The version that's on the Apple store is completely unofficial, and not released by Rio Grande Games.

It'll be pulled very soon. The designer has posted his dismay about it on BGG

Rio Grande are going to be releasing something first quarter 2012, no news yet if it's iOS, Android, PC or XBLA/PSN.

Dominion (Digital Release) – First Quarter 2012

Oh that's a shame :(

I did wonder why some parts of it are very basic. Is it wrong for me to still be enjoying it? I'll obviously be picking up the official release.

Oh that's a shame :(

I did wonder why some parts of it are very basic. Is it wrong for me to still be enjoying it? I'll obviously be picking up the official release.

You won't get in trouble for enjoying it! ;)

Rumour is it might stay (for now) but be changed to make it clear it's unofficial.

I've played a few games on it, the AI destroyed me the first two games, it's pretty good.

I'm going back to iOS once I can upgrade my phone. My WP7 is rubbish for board games. Uno is about as good as it gets. Well, that and a MtG rip-off, the name of which I can't remember. :(

To be fair, I'm sticking with WP7 for the foreseeable future - when I had access to iOS I never used it for board games anyway. The only thing I really miss is Slay, and I much prefer the interface of WP7 (that, and the fact that Microsoft haven't made my phone obsolete after a little over a year through forced firmware updates...).

Plus, the Marketplace is growing. Hopefully that'll mean more board game conversions in time.

Has anyone here played Battleground: Fantasy Warfare? It's a war game where armies are portrayed by cards. The cards can be scribbled upon with wet erase/dry erase pen to depict different units and point amounts, so a starter and reinforcements deck ($12 a pop) can represent many different configurations of army. Tom Vassel's always banging on about how great it is, and it's a damned sight cheaper than Warhammer 40,000, LotR or WarMachine. I wondered what the forum's groupthink opinion was.

I had a couple of decks of it and it works well and does exactly what it should do in being a miniatures game that is actually affordable and doesn't need painting. And doesn't actually have any miniatures but you can't have everything.... on the other hand once I got the Summoner Wars starter sets I never played it again and ended up passing on my decks to another friend.

Make of that what you will. :)

Congratulate me everyone, because I've finally learned how to play 51st State! It only took me three quarters of a bloody year.

Between a poor translation, poorly written rules and a poorly constructed rule book which came without half its pages, I'm feeling quite poorly, if feebly triumphant at finally beating it. Many thanks to Tom Vassel for explaining how to use the permanent contact cards in an episode of Miami Dice, and also to my own brain for not collapsing beneath the weight of a ruleset so heavy, when it gets on the bathroom scales in the morning, it breaks the fucking thing.

Absolutely no thanks to Race for the Galaxy for inspiring 51st State's designers to convey the game's rules using an iconographic language as impregnable as a radiographer's womb.

I don't know how I'm going to teach this one to normal people. My next gaming group I'm going to invite Rain Man, the guy who escapes at the end of Cube, and the kid from Kiefer Sutherland's new series Touch.

• Upvote 1

Anyone have any more suggestions for two player games that aren't too heavy and don't take too long, for the wife and I? We already play Carc, Carc: The Castle and Ravenloft. I'm thinking Forbidden Island looks like it fits the bill. How does Zooloretto play with two? Until last night I though Ticket to Ride might work for us too, but having played it with a full table of five I've changed my mind.

Forbidden Island is good, and if you like that Pandemic. Summoner Wars is a good 2 player card combat game if you like that kind of thing (think a little along the lines of Advance Wars for reference, but with a fantasy setting), and there's always Dominion.

• Upvote 1