Asura

General chatter - discuss anything here

Buoyed by the success of the gaming group, me and my partner in crime have started another one! This one is in Chester (Centurion pub, vicars Cross) on a Tuesday evening. We had a few interested people saying Tuesday suits better and chester would be easier so thought, why not? :)

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, LaParka said:

Buoyed by the success of the gaming group, me and my partner in crime have started another one! This one is in Chester (Centurion pub, vicars Cross) on a Tuesday evening. We had a few interested people saying Tuesday suits better and chester would be easier so thought, why not? :)

Cool, will have to head down.  Not only is Vicars Cross closer to my house than the other Chester club, but it'll be nice to just play games without annoying bullshit.

I've made some very close friends through Chester Games Club, but I'm getting really really sick of just milling around in a group for over an hour waiting for somebody to arrive, ignoring a table full of games that could easily be played in that timeframe. 

On 08/02/2018 at 09:39, LaParka said:

Had our biggest turn out at the club last night with 13 people managing to come and one chap making a flying visit just to say hello. Two guys came from as far as Prestatyn because their regular group play a big game of scythe once every six weeks and they're not keen on it :lol:

Quite a few games were played which included 7 Wonders, Sagrada, Suburbia, Azul, Notre Dame, the Quest for Eldorado, Metro, Troyes, Arboretum, deep sea adventure and For Sale.

I was in the Troyes game and I'm glad someone was able to teach it to me! 

Hardest part of the evening is making sure everyone has a game of something because each group finishes at different times or can turn up at various times. 

Our club in West Wales is getting around 10-15 now, which is good. But making sure people mix and games can be coordinated is tricky.

Also - does anyone here know the best way to manage people who are.... "difficult" shall we say. We have someone who I think is very much (not sure if we're allowed to say this any more) on the spectrum and it is proving fairly disruptive. I don't want to ban her, but people are getting exhausted and actively avoiding being paired up with her. I can see boardgaming should be a safe space for anyone, regardless of gender/race/ailments but by the same token if it's disrupting the entire group of people who go there, I don't really know what to do. In terms of behaviours it's poor scoring/borderline cheating, terrible social interactions (declaring loudly the drugs she's taking), and just generally being utterly disconnected from societal norms. Thoughts?

3 hours ago, cavalcade said:

Our club in West Wales is getting around 10-15 now, which is good. But making sure people mix and games can be coordinated is tricky.

Also - does anyone here know the best way to manage people who are.... "difficult" shall we say. We have someone who I think is very much (not sure if we're allowed to say this any more) on the spectrum and it is proving fairly disruptive. I don't want to ban her, but people are getting exhausted and actively avoiding being paired up with her. I can see boardgaming should be a safe space for anyone, regardless of gender/race/ailments but by the same token if it's disrupting the entire group of people who go there, I don't really know what to do. In terms of behaviours it's poor scoring/borderline cheating, terrible social interactions (declaring loudly the drugs she's taking), and just generally being utterly disconnected from societal norms. Thoughts?

Has anyone spoken with her about it yet?

It's always difficult to have that one disruptive player. In the first instance I'd have a small word re their behaviour in the group (if they have a friend in the group maybe approach through them). Be polite and understanding but also make sure they understand that it could mean removal from the group in the long term.

In the end if one person spoils the evening for everyone then that's not really fair.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, salsashark said:

it'll be nice to just play games without annoying bullshit.

Hey, I'm not in every game!

10 hours ago, salsashark said:

Cool, will have to head down.  Not only is Vicars Cross closer to my house than the other Chester club, but it'll be nice to just play games without annoying bullshit.

I've made some very close friends through Chester Games Club, but I'm getting really really sick of just milling around in a group for over an hour waiting for somebody to arrive, ignoring a table full of games that could easily be played in that timeframe. 

Awesome, the group we play with are all pretty chill to the point that we don't really play any games with much take that aspect. Some like wargames and will occasionally play something along those lines, but mostly it's medium to heavy euros :)

You're not the first to mention about the waiting round. I think we've all got filler games hidden in our back pockets! 

9 hours ago, cavalcade said:

This is my nightmare. Since it's me and another chap kind of organising it I don't mind waiting and potentially missing out on a spot but I'd hate for someone to make the effort to turn up and then have to wait around for a game to finish. 

I went to one games club and after playing a quick game two of the group left me and this other person to set up and play a potential five player game between themselves. I made my excuses and left. 

Played my first game of D&D tonight! 

I had a pretty good idea of the general rules thanks to Critical Role/Hexx, and after a bit of initial trepidation I got into the RP quite well I think. They were a week into a little adventure so I was given a premade rogue who I decided to play neutral/chaotic neutral(mercenary background), suited me down to the ground as I had a decent grip on the mechanics. I managed to fish out a decent amount of information from the DM whilst staying in character which helped us and generally had a really good time. 

Some highlights:

- they'd come across a door they couldn't open the week before so first order of business was seeing if the new mercenary who'd turned up would have better luck. I rolled a Nat. 20 on MY FIRST ROLL EVER... and was greeted by "despite your expertise, this lock is unlike anything you've ever seen. You cannot open it". 

- messing with the goody goodies - there was a human fighter who's alignment was Neutral Good but she was playing like a Paladin, constantly banging on about honour and valour and stuff. We came across two sleeping Goblins and after I took one out with a bow, tied the other up. The goody goodies promised to release him after he spilled his info but I, in character, said I didn't want an enemy at our backs and he was little more than an animal. They went on about honour a bit more and then spent five minutes dithering about what more questions to ask him. I slit his throat. This was shortly after the wizard (who was similarly getting bored) had missed him with glacial blast from point blank range, getting advantage and rolling a pair of twos. 

- Managing to a) trip a gas trap after rolling a 4 and taking 3 points of base constitution damage. Then b) failing to disarm said gas trap (rolled a 2) and taking another 3 points of constitution damage. On the plus side, it gassed all six rats who were waiting for us down the corridor. 

- Quite proud of myself for this one so forgive my self indulgence. The other rogue and I could hear a pack of Goblins on the other side of a low wall. He gave me a flask of oil to throw and prepped a fire arrow. Oil hit, arrow didn't. Cue six confused and oily Goblins attempting to zerg rush us. About ten minutes prior,  my deft roguey hands had finagled an undying candle of some sort from a tomb, which I currently had tied to my back as a light source. I lobbed it at them. Cue the DM going into graphic detail of the poor things going up in flames and screaming. 

Definitely going back next week! 

• Upvote 9

4 hours ago, Starbreaker said:

Played my first game of D&D tonight! 

I had a pretty good idea of the general rules thanks to Critical Role/Hexx, and after a bit of initial trepidation I got into the RP quite well I think. They were a week into a little adventure so I was given a premade rogue who I decided to play neutral/chaotic neutral(mercenary background), suited me down to the ground as I had a decent grip on the mechanics. I managed to fish out a decent amount of information from the DM whilst staying in character which helped us and generally had a really good time. 

Some highlights:

- they'd come across a door they couldn't open the week before so first order of business was seeing if the new mercenary who'd turned up would have better luck. I rolled a Nat. 20 on MY FIRST ROLL EVER... and was greeted by "despite your expertise, this lock is unlike anything you've ever seen. You cannot open it". 

- messing with the goody goodies - there was a human fighter who's alignment was Neutral Good but she was playing like a Paladin, constantly banging on about honour and valour and stuff. We came across two sleeping Goblins and after I took one out with a bow, tied the other up. The goody goodies promised to release him after he spilled his info but I, in character, said I didn't want an enemy at our backs and he was little more than an animal. They went on about honour a bit more and then spent five minutes dithering about what more questions to ask him. I slit his throat. This was shortly after the wizard (who was similarly getting bored) had missed him with glacial blast from point blank range, getting advantage and rolling a pair of twos. 

- Managing to a) trip a gas trap after rolling a 4 and taking 3 points of base constitution damage. Then b) failing to disarm said gas trap (rolled a 2) and taking another 3 points of constitution damage. On the plus side, it gassed all six rats who were waiting for us down the corridor. 

- Quite proud of myself for this one so forgive my self indulgence. The other rogue and I could hear a pack of Goblins on the other side of a low wall. He gave me a flask of oil to throw and prepped a fire arrow. Oil hit, arrow didn't. Cue six confused and oily Goblins attempting to zerg rush us. About ten minutes prior,  my deft roguey hands had finagled an undying candle of some sort from a tomb, which I currently had tied to my back as a light source. I lobbed it at them. Cue the DM going into graphic detail of the poor things going up in flames and screaming. 

Definitely going back next week! 

Sounds awesome, I hope some day I will manage to get a game.

4 hours ago, Starbreaker said:

I rolled a Nat. 20 on MY FIRST ROLL EVER... and was greeted by "despite your expertise, this lock is unlike anything you've ever seen. You cannot open it". 

Someone might correct me on this - but Nat 20s/1s don't really matter for ability checks, just attack rolls. (Critical Role lies to you). 20 + whatever mods mean the result is usually going to pass, but it's not guaranteed.

Well done though :)

Thanks guys! 

Very dumb question: On my premade rogue, my two weapons are shortsword and knife, both of which I have proficiency in. They're both called (name) + 5, is this a modifier or is it just the item name? And because I keep forgetting, do I add proficiency to attack roll or damage? Do I add a dex modifier too or just the proficiency bonus? 

They should not be +5 anything. That's broken AF :P

Attack Roll = Proficiency + Ability Mod

Damage Roll = Ability Mod

A weapon can be +1/+2/+3, you add that to both the above.

+5 though. I don't think that's a thing. (We countered a +3 weapon in our campaign. 35k to buy, we had 12k across the entire party)

Is your premade from this?

https://media.wizards.com/downloads/dnd/StarterSet_Characters.pdf

That's +5 to attack (+2 for Prof @Level 1, +3 due to Dex), +3 to damage (due to Dex)

Well, see that's where I'm confused. They're both definitely +5 but he's actually written the damage down - 1d6+3 for the sword, 1d4+3 for the knife. So it looks like they're +3 weapons right? 

Wait, hang on, is the +3 from my dexterity modifier? 

I think fate doesn't want me to play Pandemic Legacy.

Accidentally ordered a poorly signposted German version from Amazon.

Got a new version in a language I understand, only to find a handful of cards missing from the Legacy deck :(

28 minutes ago, Starbreaker said:

Fuck it, I don't know. 

15187098993082074554714.jpg

Look at the sheets I posted - he's copying that layout

There's a rogue one that's very similar (but bow rather than knife as second weapon)

The "+5" section is different from the name

[Name]                  [Attack Bonus]                              [Damage]

Shortsword           +5 (+2 for Prof, +3 for Dex)        1d6+3 (weapon damage then dex mod)

He might assume you just know it (and it might not change if doing pre-made, no level up?)

There's 2 dashes by proficiency at the bottom? Is that it?

Played rising sun the other day and really liked it, it's difficult in the first game to get an idea is what you should do to win but now I can't stop thinking about it. Really tempted to pick to my own copy.