Asura

General chatter - discuss anything here

Given the forum's recent resurgence in interest in Warhammer and Games Workshop, I thought I'd pose a thread about the rest of the genre of gaming not done on computers - RPGs, CCGs and tabletop wargames not made by GW.

Anyone ever really got into these?

My sum total experience is thus:

I used to play Magic the Gathering in school, and had a brief flutter with it again at uni. I went off it; I think it was because too much of the game seemed to centre on deck-building for my taste, i.e. there didn't seem to be enough in-game strategy. What you can do seemed very determined by the cards in your hand, and that was in turn determined by a combination of your deck-building skills and chance. I'm not saying there isn't skill to it, there's a huge amount - I just didn't think as much of it lay in the actual "playing" of the game as I would have liked.

Whilst at uni my friends and I played some KOTOR and some of them had previously played Baldur's Gate, so we got some D&D stuff to give it a try. I bought the Adventure Begins starter, as well as the monster manual, DM guide and player handbook, as well as the Oriental Adventures set. Never really used it; we hadn't anticipated just how much of an investment of time the game took; and without an experienced player to be GM it was really slow going. We eventually moved onto other things and I still have 50 quid's worth of books for a game I've never really played.

We considered trying Heroclix, and each bought a small set (the good thing about it was that it costed very little to actually try out) but again, we never got into it (it was final year at uni and we all ended up being too busy). I always wanted to try the mechwarrior clix game, but couldn't find anyone who would play it.

Really quite a sad, sorry story of wasted money. Anyone had better experiences?

I played the original D&D and then later AD&D 2nd Edition loads years ago. There was a group of 5 of us that played more or less every weekend for a couple of years. Loved it and would love to play again, but we've all lost touch and finding people who are willing to give it a go these days is hard.

I tried getting into D&D a few years back (I think it was around about the time of the 3rd edition ruleset). Problem is I could never find anyone to actually play it with so I just forgot about it :lol:

I played the original D&D and then later AD&D 2nd Edition loads years ago. There was a group of 5 of us that played more or less every weekend for a couple of years. Loved it and would love to play again, but we've all lost touch and finding people who are willing to give it a go these days is hard.

I'm the same.

One of my old D&D crew is still into it, he writes adventures for conventions and we sometimes meet up to play test these games. It's still great fun but I'd love to get stuck into a proper campaign.

Magic: The Gatherering... Ahhh the bane of my life

I played quite a bit back in the 90s and got a fair collection of cards. When I was at uni I ended up being prettily heavily into it, playing every day and spending what little money I had on cards. Then eventually all my friends that played moved onto other things, so I stopped. In the intervening years I dabbled with the game from time to time, picking up some cards but not playing.

Then over the past 2 years or so I got crazy into it again. With a fair amount of disposable income the funds I had for cards was ridiculous, I went to some tourneys & release events, I bought an entire collection off eBay. But there was always one problem; finding players. I found a group in central London (that also host official WOTC tourneys) but I found it very clique-y and elitist and people there were either the uber hardcore (the type that wouldn't even talk when playing) or 8 year olds. I just wanted a laugh and to play with some of my old cards (which at this point were not legal in tourneys - not that I really wanted to play tournaments, I just wanted to play!) I tried getting a group going locally and that never got anywhere. My local games club (where I play wargames) had some CCG players but they just scoffed at Magic and went back to some weird game that they alone collect & play (and that's all they play) All this time I was still buying cards ! I slowly realised this was folly, stopped buying about 6 months ago

At the last count I have well over 25,000 cards all sorted and in binders, going back all the way to 1994! :lol: I'm scared to think how much I've spent over the years, but I'd never sell 'em.

And no one to play with! <sob> In a way I'm kinda glad - the game brings out the worst of my obsessive nature, I think if I did find some players I'd be broke by now & living in a flat made out of Magic cards

I tend to buy tonnes of cards before realising nobody wants to play these games with me. But I still buy more cards. I'm wierd like that. I have plenty of cards for:

- Star Wars TCG

- Star Trek TCG

- Magic

- Yu Gi Oh

- EvE Online TCG

- WoW TCG

I'm trying to convince some fellow WoW players at work to start a few games going!

Used to collect (but not really play) the Star Trek CCG, first edition and everything. Lately I've just been letting my free Magic the Gathering stuff pile up in the corner, because my girlfriend refuses to play it with me. Might take it in to work today to pass the time.

My wife and I bought WoW CCG starter sets, thinking it was just a card game. That you played with cards. But then the rules started going on about keeping track of things with counters and stuff like that and it all seemed like too much effort. I think we threw the starter sets away when we moved, actually.

Keeping to the Games Workshop theme, used to play a lot of Combat Cards - which were basically Top Trumps with lovely painted Citadel Miniatiures on each card and Warhammer stats to play the game. They come up quite often on eBay.

Can't stand CCG's. You always end up with whole tree's worth of crappy cards in a cupboard somewhere that you'll never be able to do anything with. Having said that i'm often tempted by them. I'd have liked to play the wow one a bit but I just can't justify it to myself.

The Babylon 5 CCG is fantastic though. You can practically play with as many people as you like (we had an 8 player game once) and there are so many different ways to play it out and win.

A friend of mine is into board games a bit and I used to go round and play the civ board game or war of the ring or something like that every week. Civ was good but it needs a lot of space (the board itself is massive) and it's a bit too reliant on the placement of resources at the beginning of the game. End up with nothing at the start and you can get knocked out pretty fast which can be a pain when you've organised getting a group of you together.

Star Trek CCG, I used to have great fun playing first off with my school friends, before a couple of us joined a scene in London which culminated in us playing every Saturday in the basement of a jazz club with free live jazz booming through the floor. Ace times!

The game was pretty fun, but you end up feeling nickle and dimed every time an expansion comes out, plus some people go to insane lengths to abuse loopholes by buying multiple copies of very expensive cards...

Wow, what did you do for them?

card art, about 20 of them over the years, I think. I think the last one I did for them was this one:

card

edit, better pic here, some way down:

woc

card art. I think the last one I did for them was this one:

card

Sweet! I own about 50 of things!

Shit you did Maro too, that's a pretty famous card. Nice stuff...

List of your cards at Wizards of the Coast

Sweet! I own about 50 of things!

Shit you did Maro too, that's a pretty famous card. Nice stuff...

List of your cards at Wizards of the Coast

Yep...I had a big gap of about 8 years where I did nothing for them, then did a few more, but a couple of the last few involved painting an invisible cloak :( and a slither(?) specifically screaming (they don't have mouths) ;):D . At that point, I decided there were easier freelance gigs and moved on.

You're my new favourite person.

I played Magic for ages and ages, going to tournaments and stuff. It got to the point where I never really played except at these 'prerelease' tournaments, which involved buying huge amounts of cards to play in them. But they were so much fun- you have a limited amount of time to build a deck with samples of the new set about to come out, and then you play tournaments with that deck. You got so many more quirky strategies and interesting games in those formats.

Hang on a sec. Your name is Stuart Griffin? That is frickin' awesome.

Yes; this influenced the choice of some of the cards I was given to illustrate :o

Biglime; I seem to remember Fury of Dracula being pretty good fun, although I last played it about (ye gods) 18 years ago. You're looking to get the re-release rather than ebaying the GW one, yes? not sure if the rule set's the same...

Edit: Oh yeah, any other Ogre players out there? Giant stompy tank action was always a lot of fun, although I think SJG have discontinued it now, so it'll be another ebay job.

I had one of those Ogre games ages ago. Didn't they come in smallish black plastic cases? Board games I've got to play this Christmas are Zombies, The Settlers and The Haunting House. I know my daughter's not going to play the Zombie one though I'll have to rope in my friends to try that one.

I got my first MtG game done over the weekend there, just played through the starter set. Then I snapped open my free Cold Snap theme deck and booster.

Well fuck me sideways, that's a lot of waffle. Frost counters, age counters, "Landwalk" abilities, all kinds of shite. I thought the good thing about Magic was that the cards are their own rulebook?

I used to play a heck of a lot of the Aliens Predator CCG, followed by Warlord when that went under. I must have bought about £300 worth of cards over the years. :)

When I was at school the whole year seemed to move through phases of CCG's. The main one was Marvel Overpower which personally I absolutely loved. Then Magic came along so I dabbled in that. Then everyone hit Rage which I just couldn't get into at all. I do miss playing them now. And that feeling when you saved enough dinner money to grab a booster pack.

:)

What's all this CCG madness? Real geeks play proper board games.

I'm partial to Eurogames myself (the 'genre' into which games like Settlers of Catan and Carcassonne fall), and to the shorter grand strategy games: my absolute favourite of that style of play has to be Antike, great fun if you've enough players (plus flavoured with the best period of history). I've not tried any wargames, though I tend to enjoy computerised ones (Combat Mission, Battle Isle etc.), due to the cost and time involved.

I can't be the only person on this forum to like board games (hell, I've seen people recommending Settlers of Catan and Heroscape on this forum before), show some solidarity in the face of the horrific money-saps that are CCG's.

• Upvote 1

Can anyone recommend any awesome board games?

Fury of Dracula any good? I think I'll try that Starcraft effort an' all.

Fury of Dracula is one of my favourites. I haven't played the reissue - I understand it's a bit tighter but otherwise the same (there is an issue with game length in the original, but like most things that can vary wildly). I play it quite a bit, but not as much as Dungeonquest, which is a great laugh. It's incredibly unforgiving, and it's more a case of who dies last than who wins. Basically you make your way through a dungeon to a dragon's lair by blindly drawing tiles to move onto and dealing with whatever occurs on the tile, be it a monster encounter, trap, cave-in... etc. I've done stuff like draw a bottomless pit, successfully jumped over it then immediately drawn another one that I've fallen into. There are only two bottomless pit tiles in the game.

The biggie is probably Talisman, which I'm sure everyone is familiar with to some extent. Nice new edition to cast away those ebay blues, too. Speaking of... I'm still trying to track down a nice copy of Magic Realm. I see a lot of sellers in the US with it that don't want to ship overseas :)

The magic/monsters/sci-fi/you-name-it type of boardgame is my cup of tea. It's earned the label Ameritrash, but more in a celebratory way than a stigma. It's all about chucking some dice, coming a cropper or coming out on top, all the time having a good laugh.

As for the Eurogames... I find them a bit hard to stomach these days. I shot myself in the foot by introducing friends to Ticket To Ride and Carcassonne, thinking we'd quickly move onto geekier stuff like Talisman. My plan was to gently win them over to the very idea of playing boardgames. Thing is, they just became utterly obsessed with those two, and I got completely sick of them. One night we played a great game of Cosmic Encounter. Lots of trash-talking and silly banter, lots of fun. Then we played a game of Ticket To Ride: Europe. 45 minutes of the three of us gazing resolutely and silently at the board. That's the difference between the two types for me.

I did try Magic briefly earlier this year. Bought a starter set and played a few matches. One day when I went to get some more cards I was told they would be stocking the new edition from now on, and at that moment I saw a dark future for myself if I continued, so I dumped it.

I got my first MtG game done over the weekend there, just played through the starter set. Then I snapped open my free Cold Snap theme deck and booster.

Well fuck me sideways, that's a lot of waffle. Frost counters, age counters, "Landwalk" abilities, all kinds of shite. I thought the good thing about Magic was that the cards are their own rulebook?

You'll need some of that Frostilucus bullshit if you don't want another educating over Christmas. I could pwn your "flaccid wimple eels" or whatever you've got around the table until they realised their mistake and jumped in my deck.