rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Rodders

Recommend me some dubstep.

The gf wants to get into this, and while I've heard of it, have looked at the wiki page for the history, and am listening to Burial - Untrue now (though that might not strictly be dubstep?), I don't know much. Any recommendations of what I should have a look at? Generally popu;ar round 'ere?

Ta.

Didn°t dubstep used to ,eqn the kind of dubby DnB thqt the likes digitql were ,qking qbout 7 yeqrs qgo+ Thqt=s zhqt I qlzqys understood qs being dubstep=

Qnyone knoz qht I ,eqn+

Loving nu)dubstep though - the buriql qlbun is q,qwing qnd Iù, qlso looking for reco,,endqtions:

0dqnk french keyboqrd°

Didn°t dubstep used to ,eqn the kind of dubby DnB thqt the likes digitql were ,qking qbout 7 yeqrs qgo+ Thqt=s zhqt I qlzqys understood qs being dubstep=

Qnyone knoz qht I ,eqn+

Loving nu)dubstep though - the buriql qlbun is q,qwing qnd Iù, qlso looking for reco,,endqtions:

0dqnk french keyboqrd°

I take it your keyboard is playing up then :)

I take it your keyboard is playing up then :unsure:

Yes, it was French! Managed to get my Powerbook wified up now.

Anyway, my question was: I'm sure that about 7 years ago the term 'Dubstep' was commonly used to refer to the dubby DnB that the likes of Digital produced. Anyone remember that?

I've read about dubstep quite a lot this year and was surprised when I actually heard it that was something quite different. It's blimmin' ace though if that 2nd Burial album is anything to go by. It really does capture a kind of optimistic ravey sound of circa 1991 but with a deep modern 2-step vibe - love it.

I think its growing quite a bit and has been since last year. Mary Anne Hobbs loves the stuff so I'd suggest checking out her Radio 1 experimental show here as there's usually something good on there. Also Check out Vex'd for some phat beats, Degenerate is full of good tracks and well worth a listen.

Two tracks that define the current dubstep sounds are:

Midnight Request Line by Skream

and

Night by Coki and Benga

Dubstep is a broad church though. Back in 2005 it was basically sounding like instrumental Grime. Now it seems to stretch from bass wobble "half-step" to proper ravey 2-step, with a bit of ambient none-dancefloor stuff thrown in. And then you get the techno cross over from people like Shakleton and Sleeparchive.

I don't see why Burial isn't dubstep. It fits perfectly into the kind of dubstep played by Kode 9 and Blackdown Soundboy. Fair enough the 2steppy-ness and prominent vocals might be unusual for dubstep, but there has always been variety in the genre which has what's kept it interesting imo.

There is a mix linked in the Burial thread.

Free sets.

Dubstep goodness About 1/4 way through it gets really really good.

The one from the other thread that is amazing. The Blow intro is aces.

Basically. Heavy bass. It is best in clubs because then you can feel your chest vibrate and mixed with naughty stuff it all gets a bit euphoric.

Anyways. Yeh. Enjoy.

You need a good sound system otherwise its the most pointless genre of music ever.

I've heard lots of dubstep with a really big Reggae sound going on a bit like at the start of that first set, but as said its pretty broad. I have that Burial album and I don't think its dubstep.... but I am not claiming to be any kind of authority on dance music. I just know what I like and it isn't chipmunk vocals and a lack of dirty bass.

This is a great website btw if you are looking for sets.

898279m.jpg

And at £5.99 damn cheap!

:P

Yeah, this is basically the best mix i've heard, and i've heard millions of em. It's fucking great. Fucking raging that the Jason H tune hasn't been released. Bastards, teasing me like that. Tox has it right though, there's a lot of different sounds out there. I'm partial to a bit of Skull Disco (there's a great mix on their site), the Bristol crew - Pinch, Peverelist, Gatekeeper and that - Pinch just released and album called Underwater Dancehall which is really good but kind of got lost amidst all the kerfuffle about Burial. I do like a bit of the heavier stuff too, look out for mixes by the likes of Caspa and N Type, tunes by Rusko and of course Skream.

Yes, it was French! Managed to get my Powerbook wified up now.

Anyway, my question was: I'm sure that about 7 years ago the term 'Dubstep' was commonly used to refer to the dubby DnB that the likes of Digital produced. Anyone remember that?

Yeah, I do! Although we just called it sort of dubby drum and bass. Digital actually just released his first dubstep tune as it goes. Pretty good it is too.

I asked a man in a shop to recommend me some dubstep which had considerably more dub content than Burial and he suggested one of the Box of Dub compilations and also "Disrupt" "Foundation bit" which later is almost a straight update of classic Jamaican dub with a few samples layered on top. Colour me confused but happy. That's the danger of labelling music genres / sub-genres I guess.

Honour Kill by Luke Envoy.

Drops like nothing on earth. Colossal humming subs, deranged LFO tweaks on the bassline.

Amazing piece of music, full stop.

:D

Golly, this is awesome.

Oh another quick question ...

I'd love to hear some Dubstep in a club environment. Can any of you recommend a Dubstep evening in Manchester?

Thanks

Graeme

Pinch - 'Qawwali'

All you'll need.

The first Burial album is better than Untrue. Boxcutter is good but strays more into IDM territory at times. I have a Shackleton EP which is pretty good as well.

Graeme, i'm sure there's something good in Manchester, but the best event up that neck of the woods would be the DMZ nights in Leeds. They're not too frequent but apparently amazing.

Yep indeedy, I've really liked all of the Kode 9 stuff that I've heard.

Have you heard the one on Don Rosco's mp3 blog (linked in his sig). Awesome.

Also have you heard the Dubstep Allstars Vol3 mix? Play have it for £7 and its really really good. I'd heartily recommend it.

Both the "Grime" compilations are well worth getting, the Kode 9 track is off the 2nd one. It sounded so fresh when they were released about 4 years ago and still stand up today. The Mark One stuff on the first compilation sounds like rave from the year 3000.