Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

Started glueing my plague marines together. Fiddly little shits, aren’t they? The capes and breathing tubes especially!

Couple of questions:

1 - if, in the process of holding bits together whilst glueing I’ve managed to get some on my finger and then this on the model, I assume I’m ok just sanding it down a bit to make it smooth?

2 - how bad is it to get blood on the model? I may have had an unfortunate accident with the exacto knife…

23 minutes ago, Captain Kelsten said:

What’s a sub assembly? Only building bits and then painting them before putting it all together? How do I know which bits to put together?

Yes. Exactly that. For the dude I’m working on at the moment I’ve kept him in five pieces (six including the base I suppose) - the body, each arm, the head, and a cape covering his arse. Basically it’s a fiddly model with a load of details and I knew I’d struggle to reach all of it if I glued it together.

For example I knew that the inside of the wrist holding the axe would be very near the figure’s side once assembled, making it hard to access, so I kept it separate:

64B6C16E-093A-42B9-BDB4-3FB9772E9515.thumb.jpeg.da772bbf27c638024ec6d40138be699f.jpeg

As to knowing which bits to leave separate, it just depends on the model. The simplest and probably most common one is to leave the head off, but that certainly doesn’t apply to your Nurgle chap. It’s never essential, it can just make things easier. Possibly I’d have left his backpack thing off but you’ll do fine with him as he is.

Oh, and if you ever do paint a figure in bits, make sure to mask off the contact points when priming and painting it. Plastic cement won’t bond on painted plastic. I usually pop a tiny blob of blu tak over the area.

6 hours ago, Captain Kelsten said:

What’s a sub assembly? Only building bits and then painting them before putting it all together? How do I know which bits to put together?

At this point it's probably not worth worrying about sub-assemblies, or bits that will be hard to get to. You're just getting started.

If you prime it back, the bits you can hardly see that are tucked away become shadow, and you can only see them when you're up close anyway. That's not how you'll look at your models 90% of the time.

The three things I wish I'd known when I started:

- thin your paints with a little bit of water. Trial and error will get you to the right consistency, but it stops it glooping on everywhere.

- this is the best glue. It sounds like you're using superglue. Stop.

- focus on the basics. Base, wash, layer, dry brush. You don't need anything else to get good result.

You're beginning your Warhammer journey at a time when the amount of guides, resources and painting methods are numerous, but that can also make it overwhelming. In the past 2 weeks I've come across 2 new methods on how to paint things!

Just enjoy it. Paint a thing, be happy with a thing, create momentum. 

31 minutes ago, Captain Kelsten said:

Thanks!

Im using the citadel plastic glue. 

Excellent! It's decent, if a little runny and uncontrollable. Once you've used it up (and you will, given the lizardmen set you've bought!) treat yourself.yo the Tamiya. It behaves a little differently but it's honestly a revelation. 

19 minutes ago, Pelekophoros said:

Excellent! It's decent, if a little runny and uncontrollable. Once you've used it up (and you will, given the lizardmen set you've bought!) treat yourself.yo the Tamiya. It behaves a little differently but it's honestly a revelation. 

Yeah it's already annoying me being a bit runny and uncontrollable, you're spot on there. Part that and part my clumsy massive hands, I suppose! :D

4 hours ago, Pelekophoros said:

:- thin your paints with a little bit of water. Trial and error will get you to the right consistency, but it stops it glooping on everywhere.

- this is the best glue. It sounds like you're using superglue. Stop.

- focus on the basics. Base, wash, layer, dry brush. You don't need anything else to get good result.

I just want to second all of this advice — it's easy to drown in guides and tutorials, but these are the things you'll want to focus on when starting out. Learning the right amount of water to use to thin your paints (and how long they'll stay the right consistency) is a key skill you'll pick up through trial and error. And then relearn when you switch to a wet palette ;)

(I will say though that it can be worth keeping superglue in the toolbox for certain things — and not just metal/resin models that don't react to plastic cement. Notably, it's helpful on the rare occasion that you want to create a join with a visible seam, as it avoids the risk of surfaces melting together, and it can be useful if you want a semi-permanent bond: i.e. I've used a dot to quickly glue a model to a base to paint, knowing I can easily pop the back off said base when I'm done without needing to cut it; a fused model doesn't offer that luxury. For the same reason it can be more forgiving if you misapply it; it's much harder to remove and reposition a limb that was cemented than glued!)

59 minutes ago, Wiper said:

(I will say though that it can be worth keeping superglue in the toolbox for certain things — and not just metal/resin models that don't react to plastic cement. Notably, it's helpful on the rare occasion that you want to create a join with a visible seam, as it avoids the risk of surfaces melting together, and it can be useful if you want a semi-permanent bond: i.e. I've used a dot to quickly glue a model to a base to paint, knowing I can easily pop the back off said base when I'm done without needing to cut it; a fused model doesn't offer that luxury. For the same reason it can be more forgiving if you misapply it; it's much harder to remove and reposition a limb that was cemented than glued!)

Superglue is absolutely essential in your tool kit - especially if you snap your model in half and need a seamless joint like you say...

Your point about the Wet Palette is spot on. The sooner someone uses one of them (even DIY) the better.

25 minutes ago, Captain Kelsten said:

I see on the games workshop site they list paints by classic and contrast method. I’ve got a selection of both so will experiment and see what results I get. 

Contrast is good, but it is unforgiving and it is not necessarily faster. It definitely has its place in the toolbox (IMHO etc)

7 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

Do Beaties still exist and make glue? Always used to use theirs...

8 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

Do Beaties still exist and make glue? Always used to use theirs...

Long dead unfortunately.

2 hours ago, Captain Kelsten said:

I bought an army painter wet palette :) 

I’m just waiting on a few more paints turning up from games workshop (their delivery times are shite, it seems!) and then I can start basing. Got a chaos black and white scar to try some of that there zenithal highlighting I keep seeing. 

Don't know if they're is a post somewhere but there are quite a few independent stockists now of GW stuff which offer discounts on the range (Wayland Games, Element Games etc). Depending where you live there may be one close by?

They’re all incredible but my favourites aren’t the winners. I particularly like the Darkoath Chieftain (which is what I’m working on, and makes mine look very pedestrian), the Gollum diorama, the Space Hulk duel, and the red spaceship.

It does seem to be that painting skill is a given, with the story telling aspect of the base/setting being the thing that sets these apart. It’s inspiring stuff - the base for the Darkoath chieftian is almost more impressive than the mini.

I love the Bronze winner AoS Unit  - the Skaven. Lovely bit of movement and very original. Not sure about the actual winner of the category - but I think it's not a great photo (bit dark maybe). Also really love the Bronze in the Small Scale cat. Again, fantastic movement in it.

Made some progress tonight, finishing the last four of my plague marines!

I have so many bits left on the sprues - not enough to make another marine, but loads of weapons and arms, a few heads etc. That's normal, right?!? I presume it's just because of the choices I made when building them.

IMG_7698.thumb.jpg.97f24229cdfd314d3e1068d9cd3e9650.jpg

Yep, GW plastic sets tend to come with a ton of options in terms of cosmetic options as well as equipment/weapons, so you'll always end up with a lot of spare parts. Useful if you ever get into kitbashing (i.e. customising models or otherwise building chimera out of spare parts)!

Getting started applying my basic scheme onto my sicarians; getting close to having a fully functional kill team!

20221005_000712_copy_1126x2000.thumb.jpg.e9b0f0cd8e5469b4da3c8d08260e19dd.jpg

(I managed to clear some space in the garage to spray prime four of them. So much time saved!)

2 hours ago, Captain Kelsten said:

Made some progress tonight, finishing the last four of my plague marines!

I have so many bits left on the sprues - not enough to make another marine, but loads of weapons and arms, a few heads etc. That's normal, right?!? I presume it's just because of the choices I made when building them.

I’ve got two Tupperware boxes full of spare parts from various sets which I’ve kept just in case.

Never gonna use ‘em. Never gonna use ‘em…

I think this is a pretty good example of where it makes sense to paint in sub assemblies. 

This guy has two great big horns for shoulder pads, and an axe held in front of his body. To paint the skin on his chest and stomach, you’d have to thread the brush between all of that, and I think it’d be inevitable that you’d hit the “foreground” objects with the side of the brush:

74895A7F-A19E-458D-ACA0-77610E83A916.thumb.jpeg.39400ec27d7947a6c55b7cfe54e917f3.jpeg

Whereas without these parts you can easily access the entire torso:

47C88CF1-C942-4D62-BBCD-C79F82F31A44.thumb.jpeg.a3d4d5a340451195ecb11a120d5e48e3.jpeg

Anyway, not trying to labour the point, which I think is fairly obvious really. Just so happened this was a good example.

Getting close to finishing my Darkoath Chieftain meanwhile:

CD4A60E0-D5FF-458F-8889-8F65EFA30E7F.thumb.jpeg.6cb89297af6cce8e116429b3a3ea8dc8.jpeg

94850238-791A-41AB-B229-0B58F3FD4710.thumb.jpeg.33ce37bed2db880226ebcd13c6d32766.jpeg

BB081327-5552-4E47-A952-14944E3AD225.thumb.jpeg.37b26d5cd184a1603c2c57b7b3ceedb8.jpeg

7C6984A2-0EF7-4A45-A88B-E9A9DA6CAEB5.thumb.jpeg.f87e87fe904ea3e728908339f3ddf71d.jpeg

Still got the brightest skin highlights and some pink glazing for the lips etc to do, plus lots of tidying and fixing (like that rogue blob of Screaming Skull under his lip, and the massive blob of it on the fur!). I might also tint the whole skin a tad darker once all of it is highlighted, as he’s a bit pale. But I’ll see.

Quite pleased with him overall. I shake so much sometimes doing the smallest bits, and even with my 3x magnifying glasses I can see where the hell I’m supposed to be putting the brush, but for once I’ve managed a fairly good facsimile of the GW style highlights on my nemesis - the boots. Easily my least favourite thing to paint! 

488C0FF0-22CF-4F74-8C3C-4E058ACC5338.thumb.jpeg.2a3d3b4d5e1f48dfd9e0de5ca85d1077.jpeg

Nearly done. Held my breath and cut in with a microscopic bit of white in the right eye (i.e his right), and I’m now at the dangerous point where I’m pinch zooming and seeing other areas I could tweak. Got to be careful as they’re tiny at real life scale, and I could easily mess the lot up. 

89653759-14AE-476A-8E1C-9690B4E2E6C4.thumb.jpeg.cd6c915307032a1ee6676c7a960f02c1.jpeg

CCD08044-6983-41BD-961F-C3750DA85BAB.thumb.jpeg.af8ecc8b7f8b801f6724000727ee9d18.jpeg

It’s amazing how much difference adding some tiny dots of “white” (in this case Pallid Wych Flesh), and some thin glazes of pink, makes to the overall effect.

That is absolutely wonderful Davros.

I caugh up on the Warhammer Day reveals this morning, which I thought looked interesting. Of course there's the new models, but two key things stood out.

First, the "Arks Of Omen" narrative campaign books and the statement 

Following player feedback from across the community, this series won’t include extra rules for standard games of Warhammer 40,000. You’ve told us that you don’t want to juggle army rules spread over multiple books. No worries – we hear you.

What it does do is create a standalone game type, which is the second key thing. Boarding Actions looks like KillTeam Big: 500 point, infantry only battles on a smaller board (I assume). I like this idea because it stops campaigns muddying up the main game and adding to the pile of books you need to cart around, and if it stays around as a core mode it's potentially a more accessible starting point (plus, I think it might resolve my key issue with 40k which is that it's two armies staring at each other in straight lines).

We'll see.

Equally interesting have been some corners of the community's reaction to this, in particular the Astra Militarum reveal. In multiple places there's been complaints that yesterday's reveals only included 'the things already seen in leaks ages ago'. 

Well...yeah. That's the thing with leaks. They mean two things; either you find out about something super early and then have to wait for eons for it to hit the shelves (probably complaining about why can't I just buy it now along the way), or you find about it super early and then when it's properly revealed you're apathetic because you already know about all this stuff.

I know I'm biased here, but I just find the whole thing so frustrating. Leaks are bad, along with the clamouring for them, every which way, no matter who you are.