Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

I have to hold back my ranting, but I find it intensely irritating how a whole swathe of people I know have started going off on one with regards to Golden Demon selling out their first run of tickets for the event. 

As if this wasn't going to happen.

Now, I'm sure that a whole load of these have been bought by scalpers but quite honestly I find there's this growing entitlement that competition painters can sometimes have with regards to these things, and because they're winners and 'well known' they think it's a scandal that this is happening. 

You know what? Fuck 'em all. I'd actually much rather see new people enter the competition for the first time and see what they can do, rather than the same miserable buggers win it all the time. 

23 hours ago, JoeK said:

I have to hold back my ranting, but I find it intensely irritating how a whole swathe of people I know have started going off on one with regards to Golden Demon selling out their first run of tickets for the event. 

As if this wasn't going to happen.

Now, I'm sure that a whole load of these have been bought by scalpers but quite honestly I find there's this growing entitlement that competition painters can sometimes have with regards to these things, and because they're winners and 'well known' they think it's a scandal that this is happening. 

You know what? Fuck 'em all. I'd actually much rather see new people enter the competition for the first time and see what they can do, rather than the same miserable buggers win it all the time. 

It's just Nerd Culture man, you see it everywhere and it sucks and is cringe. A lot of IPs have entitled, vocal members of their fanbases and it's super annoying. I see it with videogame franchises all the time, most recently people kicking off on Reddit because they reduced the size of Miranda Lawson's ass for the Mass Effect Proper Ledge Edition.

46 minutes ago, Floshenbarnical said:

It's just Nerd Culture man, you see it everywhere and it sucks and is cringe. A lot of IPs have entitled, vocal members of their fanbases and it's super annoying. I see it with videogame franchises all the time, most recently people kicking off on Reddit because they reduced the size of Miranda Lawson's ass for the Mass Effect Proper Ledge Edition.

I don't think it's just that though. There's a tendency in this hobby for a tremendous amount of superiority complex going on. Most of the time it's not even something that these folks are aware of - there's a whole load I know and they're genuinely good people to chat with - but fucking hell, the roundabout way they can argue the toss over the rights and wrongs of who won what and why that shouldn't have won and why there's clear bias going on is so bonkers.

It's a pain in the arse, and it's a very subjective arse at that, so they should all bite their tongues and shut the fuck up about it as far as I'm concerned.

On 04/08/2022 at 10:29, Mikes said:

More progress on SWA/Necromunda terrain:

295993433_778338536918316_46262519996404

Now ready for some drybrushing, weathering, and a few washes and it's done.\

Nearly done.

20220807_170054.jpg?width=840&height=630

@JoeK I agree with you about the entitlement in general, but I know quite a few people who were desperate to go, had been working on their entry for months, and for whom it would have been their first Golden Demon, only for the tickets to sell out in 30 seconds.  I can understand the disappointment.

I haven't actually seen any entitled complaining myself, just a lot of disappointed people.  I'm sure there are people being dicks about it, but I think the hobby has grown massively over the last few years, and Warhammer World just isn't a big enough venue for the first Golden Demon in years.

7 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

@JoeK I agree with you about the entitlement in general, but I know quite a few people who were desperate to go, had been working on their entry for months, and for whom it would have been their first Golden Demon, only for the tickets to sell out in 30 seconds.  I can understand the disappointment.

I haven't actually seen any entitled complaining myself, just a lot of disappointed people.  I'm sure there are people being dicks about it, but I think the hobby has grown massively over the last few years, and Warhammer World just isn't a big enough venue for the first Golden Demon in years.

I think the only way they could house the thing in a larger space is going back to the whole Games Day/Golden Demon event and do it back in Birmingham like they used to do really. And then I think it would be a logistical nightmare for them - it's been a long time since they did something like that, and the last few events at the NEC (or was it the NIA? One of the two anyway) were incredibly naff really. 

I went to Warhammer Fest at the Ricoh Arena in Coventry a few years back. That easily had the capacity.  There were some problems, but it was generally fine  I think they're going to have to realise that venues of that size are the future now. There have been ticketing problems for the last few events at WHW.  I understand that using your own building saves a lot of money, but they're disappointing people by holding it there.  Each batch of tickets they released sold out in seconds.  

1 hour ago, feltmonkey said:

I went to Warhammer Fest at the Ricoh Arena in Coventry a few years back. That easily had the capacity.  There were some problems, but it was generally fine  I think they're going to have to realise that venues of that size are the future now. There have been ticketing problems for the last few events at WHW.  I understand that using your own building saves a lot of money, but they're disappointing people by holding it there.  Each batch of tickets they released sold out in seconds.  

I completely forgot they held those events in the Ricoh (the last time I went to GD was I think the last time they held it in Birmingham - and that was actually fairly awful :(  ).

No real excuses then, aside from trying to save money I suppose.

In 2020 Warhammer Fest was due to be held at the NEC. It had already wildly outgrown Ricoh two years previously when I went, in 2018 - though interestingly the gaming hall lay broadly empty on Day 2 (3?). It was super hard to get at any of the displays or talks as the rest of the space used (bar the seminar room) was hugely unsuitable.

I don't really agree there are "no excuses except for trying to save money". We're 8 months out of rolling lockdowns around the globe, everyone's dog piling into booking events to restart that side of every single industry, the appetite for going to things amongst gen pop is off the scale, staffing across the sector is through the floor and the GW hobby/revenue grew by more than 40% in the past 2 years meaning demand for GW hobby stuff is still broadly unpredictable.

Don't mean to come across as GW Defence Force, but sometimes you have to pull your view back a little bit and give both people and companies a chance to adjust.

16 minutes ago, Pelekophoros said:

In 2020 Warhammer Fest was due to be held at the NEC. It had already wildly outgrown Ricoh two years previously when I went, in 2018 - though interestingly the gaming hall lay broadly empty on Day 2 (3?). It was super hard to get at any of the displays or talks as the rest of the space used (bar the seminar room) was hugely unsuitable.

I don't really agree there are "no excuses except for trying to save money". We're 8 months out of rolling lockdowns around the globe, everyone's dog piling into booking events to restart that side of every single industry, the appetite for going to things amongst gen pop is off the scale, staffing across the sector is through the floor and the GW hobby/revenue grew by more than 40% in the past 2 years meaning demand for GW hobby stuff is still broadly unpredictable.

Don't mean to come across as GW Defence Force, but sometimes you have to pull your view back a little bit and give both people and companies a chance to adjust.

Oh, I'm being terribly facetious really. I'm broadly on the side of Games Workshop. Whatever they do will cause some people to have fits of rage whatever happens. I still think there are far too many people in my circle of associates (I'm not going to call them all friends, but they are mostly people I've spoken to in the past) that are utterly moronic when it comes to their entitlement. As I mentioned earlier on, I think I'd far prefer to see new people being given a chance to compete in the competition and seeing new stuff. Will that be as good as some of the real top-tier people painting at the moment? Dunno really, but there are plenty of places these folks can show off their stuff, and not moan constantly about Games Workshop being money-hounds.

The flip side to this is that - whatever the risks are putting on a show - Games Workshop are fully aware that they are the top dogs in the industry and whilst it is an understandable risk doing a large-scale show, it's a risk that should be taken these days, and Golden Demon and Games Days are still regarded as the biggest events in the business. I have no idea if that is actually true anymore, but to a huge amount of folks, GW is the industry!  

It's kind of a difficult one.  WHW is too small for this kind of event now, but you can definitely understand a reluctance to jump straight to an enormodome with Covid very much still about.  Covid, and the reduced capacity associated with trying to maintain some semblance of social distancing probably doesn't help with the capacity issues.

I think there was some concerns raised internally about the suitability of the venue and the strain that would be put on the ticket selling website, as well as this Hobby Pass thing that I admit I don't really understand.  Personally, I wasn't planning on attending or entering so I didn't look into the tickets particularly myself.  

I hope we will see some new talent entering GD, although perhaps we would have seen more if more people were able to enter.  Of course, the new competitors would have quite likely been buried by the usual winners.  There do seem to be about 25 guys who win every time.

On 08/08/2022 at 22:12, feltmonkey said:

I didn't realise that people needed a ticket to the actual day to enter Golden Demon. I'd never really given it a lot of thought to it, bit I'd assumed you sent your entry in, then hot invited if you were in the running. So is all the judging done on the day?

Yep, it's all done on the day, or over the weekend of the event.  The Warhammer Fest I went to, you could just decide to turn up with an entry on the day, fill in a form, and it would be in the cabinet.

Last Games Day & Golden Demon I went to was ‘97 so I’m surprised by people saying they didn’t need tickets to enter GD in the past, I’ve always assumed it was a ticketed event.  

As @JoeK says there’s a lot of pretty entitled whine going on just now in some painting groups.  Yeah I can totally understand the frustration of not getting a ticket when there’s not been an event since 2019, but the attitude of I deserve to be there & gw is screwing me is a bit much. 

8 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

I didn't realise that people needed a ticket to the actual day to enter Golden Demon. I'd never really given it a lot of thought to it, bit I'd assumed you sent your entry in, then hot invited if you were in the running. So is all the judging done on the day?

It used to be done like that! Regional store comps (with prizes!) and the winners got through to the finals. A really nice way of doing it, although these days the overseas contingent would be difficult to reconcile.

Where are good places to get the imperium magazines from? I’d like to get issue 50 to support my necrons, but can’t find it in stock anywhere (normally I use Dark Sphere and Forbidden Planet). 

On 11/08/2022 at 18:46, MattKB said:

Where are good places to get the imperium magazines from? I’d like to get issue 50 to support my necrons, but can’t find it in stock anywhere (normally I use Dark Sphere and Forbidden Planet). 

9 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

Isn't issue 50 not out until next week?  It looks a good one, so you might struggle to get hold of one.  They're always a pain.  Forbidden Planet would have been my recommendation though.

https://forbiddenplanet.com/358157-warhammer-40k-imperium-50/

Last few left!

I actually broke my vow of “No new minis” for that issue @MattKB and I have it on the way from Forbidden Planet. I quite fancy painting them though, sorry.

A newsagent in town sometimes has the mag so I’ll keep my eyes peeled for it. Seems to be stocked so randomly though.

Best way to snag a copy of what you fancy is to follow the updates here, and pre-order from FP as soon as you like the look of one:

https://www.fauxhammer.com/featured/warhammer-imperium-magazine-contents-list-issues-1-80/

Meanwhile I seem to be bouncing from commission to commission and not getting through any of my backlog. I’m painting this guy currently - not the colours I would have chosen, but that’s what the client wanted so…

13494849-E4F8-4B65-B209-13C58790FCB6.thumb.jpeg.818d6d0929af3d62864d33027fffdadb.jpeg

C331501B-FEB9-47D4-AA6B-A3D350D23D5F.thumb.jpeg.72248a01619fcc3008de06844b4cba76.jpeg

B25478CA-435B-4861-8098-E34672C213D6.thumb.jpeg.768865cf087a112705e76c9a07a3f814.jpeg

12D1ECA8-C4C6-4510-A2CC-7E521E0D3539.thumb.jpeg.cf346581449a9ca0a9337efe969675f0.jpeg

Well, I say that’s what he wanted, but he was chopping and changing it for ages before I started. I’ve still got a tonne of highlights and details to do, so I’ve messaged him now in case he wants to change anything.