IGNORED

Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

The Chaos Knight rules are a bit of a mind bend, though I think I've worked it out. I like how they've mad it so that each knight can be quite unique. 

I've got 3 Despoilers and 2 Warglaives already with 2 Helverins (still in their box, which I bought at the beginning of lockdown) and the Chaos Knights you get in the box; so that's me sorted for a while. 

You can take an army of Knights, yes.  The way the latest two editions work, it is possible (although difficult) to take down a knight with small arms fire or even melee, if you have enough shots or attacks.  In 7th edition, weapon strength and particularly AP worked differently, meaning it was impossible for certain weapons to damage certain enemies.  That system was perhaps more realistic, but it didn't make for a very fun experience for the guy with 80 guardsmen who found themselves unable to damage their opponents super heavy unit in any way.

I'm looking forward to painting them, as the are large models so more forgiving, they are big though.

A mate has offered to sell me two armigers and a castellan for £70, I should be able to convert that into a Tyrant easy enough.

On 19/05/2022 at 09:06, feltmonkey said:

meaning it was impossible for certain weapons to damage certain enemies

There was a similar issue in one version of wfb, maybe more than one version. Save modifiers depended on strength. Strength 4 was -1, 5 was -2 and so on. The problem being, you could have 1+ saves up against strength 3 enemies who literally couldn't hurt them. We discovered this when I took chaos knights in chaos armour, with shields on barded warhorses against my brother's dark elves. I charged into a unit of his warriors and just chewed through them without him being able to do anything about it. I seem to remember having something that made them unbreakable as well.

On 19/05/2022 at 14:08, Oracle said:

two armigers

A500s or A1200s?

On 17/05/2022 at 21:29, Oracle said:

I might buy another. As you'd need two or three big Boyz and then a number of dogs. 

Tis slot to paint though. 

Reader I bought another. 

Hopefully I can sell the spare codex n data cards to recoup some money. 

Hi guys, if any of you have instagram, any chance you could check this out and give it a like and maybe even a comment if you feel it's worth it please?  :)

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cd8wMbqNYms/

It's the first gold level piece I've worked on for Siege, and the first from the Custom Service, where a sculpter creates a bespoke miniature to the customer's specification and a painter paints it.  I did the painting, because I couldn't sculpt my way out of a paper bag.  It's a replica of a famous piece of GW artwork (see spoiler) so I had to get the details like the blood drops on the lining of the cape and the sheer shininess of the gold right.  What do you reckon?

Spoiler

BloodAngelsWallpaper_1024.thumb.jpg.eebf08802d51bd708c037b2a2195869b.jpg

I'll post the pics directly into the thread when I get them as well, for those who understandably don't want to engage with anything Facebook related.  

On 24/05/2022 at 19:27, feltmonkey said:

Hi guys, if any of you have instagram, any chance you could check this out and give it a like and maybe even a comment if you feel it's worth it please?  :)

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cd8wMbqNYms/

It's the first gold level piece I've worked on for Siege, and the first from the Custom Service, where a sculpter creates a bespoke miniature to the customer's specification and a painter paints it.  I did the painting, because I couldn't sculpt my way out of a paper bag.  It's a replica of a famous piece of GW artwork (see spoiler) so I had to get the details like the blood drops on the lining of the cape and the sheer shininess of the gold right.  What do you reckon?

Hide contents

BloodAngelsWallpaper_1024.thumb.jpg.eebf08802d51bd708c037b2a2195869b.jpg

I'll post the pics directly into the thread when I get them as well, for those who understandably don't want to engage with anything Facebook related.  

Very nice. I never noticed that guy was wearing a cape...

3 hours ago, RFT said:

Very nice. I never noticed that guy was wearing a cape...

I know, right?  And one with weird hazard stripes to boot. I hadn't noticed his red backpack, either, with the two little gold stripes.  I recreated as much as I could, including the little blood drops pattern on the cloak lining, but I drew the line at the undersuit being gold as well. It had to be black to give the main body of the miniature some contrast.

Been really trying to focus on doing the fiddly details and finishing touches I find difficult instead of just starting a load of new minis and getting them 90% finished. Been meaning to paint a gem on Yndrasta for months, and when I finally did it last night it was probably  the most fun I’ve had painting anything this year:

4FE5193D-3776-40FE-B6A9-BB53FCF73BF0.thumb.jpeg.d1b5769a907c8d70c16e9822b5ecbcc0.jpeg

Pre orders for the HH box in aus are now out. 

$480.

Jesus H. I really need to get that resin printer.

Out of interest, that's the equivalent of £280. How much is it in the UK?

3 hours ago, Mikes said:

Pre orders for the HH box in aus are now out. 

$480.

Jesus H. I really need to get that resin printer.

Out of interest, that's the equivalent of £280. How much is it in the UK?

SRP is £180 for UK. 

I was tempted by shit, but I don't need any more Space Marines to not paint, nor another game system to not play.

Think the only thing I'm to go in on are Squats right now, whenever they land. 

I also like the look of this

and I totally caved and ordered the Horus Heresy box from element games, despite the last GW game I purchased being Mordheim or Battlefleet Gothic.  I’m a sucker for the old armour marks*, don’t know if I’ll actually try & play this (would have to find a club or go to my local GW store) or just paint them, do all the legions, or make dioramas or something.

*when I did my chaos marine army in the ‘90s I used the old armour mark marines ordered from mail order as much as possible.  I alway preferred my marine to be traitor marines than the sometimes pretty comical chaos models.

15 hours ago, Pelekophoros said:

SRP is £180 for UK. 

Oof. That'd $180 difference. I could buy a whole other game and faction for the cost difference and still have change for paint's. Or I'm halfway to a 4k resin printer....

35 minutes ago, The Bag said:

looking really cool though @Davros sock drawer

and I'm sure I've asked this before but what app do you use to remove the background?

It’s called Picsart, but you have to pay for a year’s sub to get the background removal tool. I use it a lot so I figured it was worth it.

There are free ones, but they tend to be buggy, or riddled with ads. 

Picsart is really good, I couldn't find anything close to that in terms of quality, but after my trial ran out I've been manually deleting backgrounds in iPad Procreate which is a bit painful but I don't use it that often to justify the sub. 

Here are the photos of the Blood Angels Primaris Captain I painted for Siege Studios.  It's part of the Custom Service thing, where we sculpt/convert/kitbash a model to the customer's specifications.  I didn't sculpt it, I just painted it.  The sculpter is @requiem_82 on Instagram. As I said, the spec was to replicate that classic piece of Warhammer artwork I posted before.

1464275394_BLOODANGELSCS9046CAPTAIN(PRIMARIS)CUSTOMSERVICEGOLD1(1).thumb.jpg.92d40c47f1f412e68b14cbd8d22fa1b8.jpg

1594728126_BLOODANGELSCS9046CAPTAIN(PRIMARIS)CUSTOMSERVICEGOLD1(6).thumb.jpg.3a2d840b7d2e0ab07301efd0d9976bf7.jpg

1350768421_BLOODANGELSCS9046CAPTAIN(PRIMARIS)CUSTOMSERVICEGOLD1(2).thumb.jpg.e2ee0eb7baa92922c99d7e7e5295c6cc.jpg

Magnetised jump pack varient:

131050692_BLOODANGELSCS9046CAPTAIN(PRIMARIS)CUSTOMSERVICEGOLD1(10).thumb.jpg.248ad2df62e557bf90fbaffd2999efbc.jpg

7 hours ago, The Bag said:

It's like magic, I just keep putting old photos into it just to see the results

I do think having a clean, crisp background gives photos an edge over 90% of the stuff I see on Instagram.

A got a bunch of likes and a follow from a nice chap today, and I got talking to him about this subject. His recent work looked like this on Instagram:

E9AA3071-F603-46A4-866C-5EEFEE38F5A5.thumb.jpeg.b51efc01da8ddd9e55f7165ce1581324.jpeg

One button press in Picsart and a quick adjustment to brightness etc and it now looks like this:

5FC9772C-972D-4879-8684-C77C1DEC4527.thumb.jpeg.2ee272af5082d7e5e14afe638bbaad58.jpeg

I’m not claiming to be some sort of photography genius but I think it just makes any miniature pop and sells the work as being far more professional - and most people just don’t do it.