IGNORED

Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

12 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

Holy shitballs man that's spectacular.  The colour on the wings is great, but the metallics look particularly amazing. And this is mainly with drybrushing?  Why am I wasting my time painstaking drawing lines around the edges of everything?  :lol:

Hehe. Thanks.  It's a legit technique, I say! :)

The blueish silver armour actually has some volumetric highlighting glazed on, and some edge highlights. I haven't highlighted all of the gold bits, but I did dry brush the spikey bits above her head (you can see that more clearly from the back).

To my eye, the most effective areas to receive dry brushing are the steps and the tree. For the tree I was quite pleased as I used a greenish white (Deepkin Flesh Ironrach Skin) and it instantly made it look kind of dead. Then I glazed in some Athonian Camoshade for a mossy hue. The steps got the same treatment, but then an extra dry brushing of white to brighten the sharpest edges.

Life is too short to edge highlight those wings, and I don't think the results would necessarily be better if one did. Certainly not if I had! The thing I'm more pleased with here is that I did a nice blend of three colours before I did the dry brushing (Terradon Turquoise, Akhelian Green, Aethermatic Blue, all feathered out/together), so that I could just use one highlight colour (just corax white). No doubt I could push the contrast more, but this took less than an hour in total I reckon. It's voodoo! :lol:

18 hours ago, JoeK said:

Yay! My Dominion box arrived. 

There's an awful lot of bits isn't there? 

Still, I decided the best and only course of action was to just open up the instruction book and start from the first thing. Which happens to be the lady with the wings. 

I find the way they make these models endlessly fascinating - I absolutely love the way these seemingly random 'bits' of legs, scenery and other bits and bobs magically become 'real' when slotted together. Although, I suspect most of it will be painted in sub-assemblies!

Yeah - this is really cool. in 2009 GW started using a new process for plastic minaitures design where instead of it being physical sculpts that would then be broken down into sub-parts by a human, the new process is all done in CAD and then software works out how to break it down to make it mouldable in a small number if parts. There's still human involvement tweaking the output of the part breakdown algorithm.

The 2009 Space Hulk re-release was kind of a test run for the process. - it really marked a change in the quality and dynamism of posing for single-pose plastic minis.

Yes, I was thinking about this when looking at the pdf for the Coven Throne. You can basically see the original CAD design in the instructions. 

Question - what's the best way to strip a mini? I have lots of fucked up marine heads I'd like to have another crack at now that I'm a bit more confident with eyes (and now that I have magnifying goggles!)

Work begins...

yndrastaWIP1.thumb.jpg.8565d65ffb758db748141a7bb02a9ff0.jpg

Trying my hardest not to do an ultra clean version of this figure. Want more greens in the shadows contrasting with some harsher bright highlights on the gold. Still debating on what the heck I'll do with the wings, but want more browns and blacks mixed in I think.

We'll see. 

Nice to be painting again though.

28 minutes ago, MattKB said:

Re the paint on a towel, Duncan does it here about 16 mins in to the 6 common mistakes video. He says get rid of the excess off your brush but surely is wasting paint. 

https://www.duncanrhodes.com

It gets to a point where you know pretty intimately how much paint you've got on your brush and how much you need to do the job, so whilst I'd probably use my wet palette to wipe off the excess, a towel would do the job too. It's just a way to do it.

As for wasting paint? You're literally using so little of the stuff as to make next to no difference. Doesn't matter what brand you use, a pot of paint will last you years. 

And that's including times you'll knock one over and make a mess everywhere!

5 hours ago, Nicky said:

Wilkos Paint and Varnish remover.

Couldn’t get to a Wilko but took a punt on some all purpose stuff from Homebase. Worked pretty well, just got some paint still in the mouth and eyes, so he’s back in for another soak in the goo. It will totally work though:

7C6B2F69-F58C-499D-A88B-7F08DA706A0F.thumb.jpeg.7342e147c7e16b1f2e535b9913c92588.jpeg

Couldn’t find any Isopropyl.

1 hour ago, MattKB said:

Re the paint on a towel, Duncan does it here about 16 mins in to the 6 common mistakes video. He says get rid of the excess off your brush but surely is wasting paint. 

https://www.duncanrhodes.com

It's better to load up the brush with too much and wipe off the excess than to load up too little. Adding a little water to the paper towel means you won't lose moisture from the brush.

Also, edge highlighting is the best technique 😗

dwarfwip1.JPG

dwarfwip2.JPG

12 hours ago, JoeK said:

It gets to a point where you know pretty intimately how much paint you've got on your brush and how much you need to do the job, so whilst I'd probably use my wet palette to wipe off the excess, a towel would do the job too. It's just a way to do it.

As for wasting paint? You're literally using so little of the stuff as to make next to no difference. Doesn't matter what brand you use, a pot of paint will last you years. 

And that's including times you'll knock one over and make a mess everywhere!

Oh yeah, I was joking about the waste. 

I’m very nearly at the end of my first pot of leadbelcher - bought 5 years ago. 

I’ve got though pots of shades and contrast, but never finished a pot of gw paint yet. Chucked* about 10 pots that have turned into a lump of putty but never actually used one up. 

*I use it as basing material mixed with pva

Those Yndrastas look amazing. :D

I'm still making very slow progress on my Vindictors. I started with them as they were my most basic unit, but there's loads of the bastards.

image.png.48eeecfa59da9fa11e5aeca9020833b5.png

'Neatest I’ve managed so far"

"If you turn on your atomic microscope, as you can clearly see there is a 0.3 micron deviance in the white paint that ultimately mars the whole.."

That looks great, you're too hard on yourself.

1 hour ago, Oracle said:

'Neatest I’ve managed so far"

"If you turn on your atomic microscope, as you can clearly see there is a 0.3 micron deviance in the white paint that ultimately mars the whole.."

That looks great, you're too hard on yourself.

Well I’m not beating myself up about it or anything, but yeah I can see where I’ve gone over the lines. There’s a line of white paint on the bottom left of the gold face of the shield for example. No big deal, just a fact. :)

Actually that’s a lot of the reason I take so many photos. My general eyesight (in other words just with my regular varifocals as opposed to with the magnifiers on) is pretty bad at the range required to pick up small errors like that. Likewise the red on his belt buckle. The photo gives me a to do list of fixes (it’s lower res I think when browsing the thread - loads fully when you click on it I think?)

I am still pretty pleased with how neat it is turning out though, don’t get me wrong. It’s more that they’re the least fun bit to paint. The amount of clean up (blue on white, white on blue ad infinitum) to get to this point was pretty boring! :lol:

Appreciate the kind comments btw. 

5 hours ago, Sardan said:

I’ve seen some stuff online about decanting into dropper bottles. I’ve started doing that with my Wargames Foundry paints.  

I'm actively decanting from the GW pots into those exact pots you're decanting from. I don't like how droppers frequently get clogged, with me having to hook out the gunk with a needle or similar to ensure it doesn't get pushed down into the liquid paint.

My hobby plan for this year is to work on a different project each month with the intention of clearing out the not insubstantial (at least in value) pile of shame. I didn't have a lot of time for hobbying in January for reasons previously mentioned so my Fellowship will remain incomplete for a while but it was enjoyable to paint these little models again. This month is warhammer quest. Very different models in terms of detail, something that used to put me off painting warhammer stuff but these days it's what I live for.

Dwarf10s.JPG

dwarf11s.JPG

lotr100s.JPG

50 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Just eye-poppingly awesome! 

Thanks! I wouldn't say it was easy, it needs a lot of focus to paint with this level of detail, but it's becoming more straightforward and I don't have as much back and forth any more.

I do like how the axe turned out, the most metally looking nmm I've done.

axes.JPG

It looks fab, but I’m almost more impressed by the smaller NMM elements like the gold bits ringing the haft. I can sort of get my head around how the effect is achieved on a blade say, but selling it on a tiny element must be super tricky as you have such a small space to pack in the contrast and reflections.

Inspiring stuff.

The bright points  little more than blobs of near white. It's easy enough provided you've done all of the supporting work which is the real difficult part of edge highlighting. Took my a long time to figure out how to make edge highlighting look interesting.

Bloody wings. They're coming along, but there's the realisation that once this side's done I've got to do the same again on the back ;) 

But, I'm happy with how they're going so far.

yndrastaWIP4.thumb.jpg.d6c622723d9df6c29ad1b6c43ab7e8c0.jpg

some stunning work in here of late.

I need to make some time to paint something, the only thing I’ve been painting lately is swatches on walls.  Far less fiddly I’ll grant you.