IGNORED

Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

I got sent some 2008 sprues as spares which I’m putting together. They’re in blue plastic which doesn’t seem to glue as well as the newer stuff I have (and the marines are smaller than the newer ones too, so I assume they’re non primaris space marines since they seem to have regular trousers rather than panel armour and jet packs)

Has anyone tried painting any of these?

6CE4A457-BF8C-4F7A-AE5A-EBB8C83E1542.jpeg

I only got back into the hobby a few years back, 2016 maybe, when the old, new bloodbowl came out and 8th edition 40K launched. So I’ve now got a fairly sizeable marine army, and it’s mostly primaris marines, I’ve a couple of old units., some scouts and some bikers, but no tacs. The primaris look right though, they’re big lads, so I hadn’t really appreciated the scale creep.
But I’ve just built and painted Bjorn the fell handed. if you don’t know him, he’s the oldest ‘living’ space marine, a space wolf dreadnaught that fought alongside Russ before he was dreadificated. He’s a legend, he fought Magnus the red, demon primarch and survived, and supposedly is a beast on the tabletop.
And it’s a deeply unsatisfying model.  It’s tiny. Just next to an intercessor he looks puny, but put him next to a redemptor and it’s like the dogs from Tom and Jerry.

Just to show the scale :

DF325F8E-8507-4E50-A42A-9647986AB969.jpeg
Redemptor, Bjorn, Intercessor, scout. 

I mean look at the size of bjorn, he’s a midget. 

Gravis is basically the new terminator though isn’t it? T5 3w dudes. Aggressors are absolute chonkers. 

Though I’d expect the next set of marine models to have a primaris elite CC model and a heavy weapons variant of the redemptor. 

I really don’t need any more marine models but quite like the look of the invictor. 

1 hour ago, And said:

I only got back into the hobby a few years back, 2016 maybe, when the old, new bloodbowl came out and 8th edition 40K launched. So I’ve now got a fairly sizeable marine army, and it’s mostly primaris marines, I’ve a couple of old units., some scouts and some bikers, but no tacs. The primaris look right though, they’re big lads, so I hadn’t really appreciated the scale creep.
But I’ve just built and painted Bjorn the fell handed. if you don’t know him, he’s the oldest ‘living’ space marine, a space wolf dreadnaught that fought alongside Russ before he was dreadificated. He’s a legend, he fought Magnus the red, demon primarch and survived, and supposedly is a beast on the tabletop.
And it’s a deeply unsatisfying model.  It’s tiny. Just next to an intercessor he looks puny, but put him next to a redemptor and it’s like the dogs from Tom and Jerry.

Just to show the scale :
Redemptor, Bjorn, Intercessor, scout. 

I mean look at the size of bjorn, he’s a midget. 

The problem is the redemptor, I think. The size difference between a Primaris and a Redepmptor Dread seems to be a lot bigger than between a classic dread and a classic marine - and a lot of that is the legs. Redemptor looks almost gangly.

I think the primaris intercessors are really nicely designed and follow on nicely from the established marines, but most of the rest of the primaris stuff just doesn't quite work for me.

The redemptor looks in place on the table top though. It’s a beefy unit. Though I can see the appeal of hiding short-round dreads behind scenery! 

The primaris stuff all together looks mostly balanced, it’s only when you put it next to small marines it looks out of whack. Then there’s the tanks. The impulsor and repulsor effectively replace rhinos and Land raiders for primaris and they’re not big enough in comparison. 

I like the design of the old-style Dreadnoughts.  There's something more grim and industrial about them.  They look more like a tomb on barely-articulated legs than the Redemptor, which is cool, but kind of looks like a chunky mech.  Both are better than the Contemptors, which look like lanky robots, stuck in the pose of a child tentatively tiptoeing into a cold sea.  The Forge World Contemptors look okay because they have more dynamic poses and intricate detailing, but the basic GW Contemptor is probably the worst mini GW have released since I got back into the hobby, in my opinion.

The old standard dreads are perfect when you realise why they're the size they are. They were made that size so they could navigate the cramped corridors of a space hulk, something the leviathan - a siege dreadnought couldn't do. When they did the Redemptor they made it the size they did just because they could.  Dont think of Bjorn as an unsatisfying model, but a large entombed hero that can fight wherever the fuck he wants. This combined with the lore of the Redemptor using space marines as literal batteries until they're burned out and replaced, shows why Bjorn and his eternal suffering inside that walking coffin, is awesome. Just take that photo you took, and crop off the left hand model, and Bjorn and all the other casteferrum dreads rock @And

It’s not just size, I found bjorn a bit uninspiring to paint, and ended up just churning him out. All the detail is really fiddly and shallow you can barely see some of it, let alone paint it. 

As for size. The smaller ones don’t look like there’s enough room in them for all the stuff they’d need in them,

if that makes sense. 

Anyway. I’m still going to build a list with him so he can go wreck some fools with his Fell hand. 

Yay! My Dominion box arrived. 

There's an awful lot of bits isn't there? 

Still, I decided the best and only course of action was to just open up the instruction book and start from the first thing. Which happens to be the lady with the wings. 

I find the way they make these models endlessly fascinating - I absolutely love the way these seemingly random 'bits' of legs, scenery and other bits and bobs magically become 'real' when slotted together. Although, I suspect most of it will be painted in sub-assemblies!

Really good package all 'round though. 

For anyone who has the box-set - do the sprues have loads of spare bits? I can see there's various alternate ways of making some of the figures, so I'm assuming there's going to be a lot of bits and pieces left? Which would be nice, as I'm always up for bunging things elsewhere!

I’d be tempted to get that badge swapped to Land Raider but in the same font. 

Spoiler

If I was the sort of selfish asshole who drove a wanker tanker that is. 

3 hours ago, JoeK said:

For anyone who has the box-set - do the sprues have loads of spare bits? I can see there's various alternate ways of making some of the figures, so I'm assuming there's going to be a lot of bits and pieces left? Which would be nice, as I'm always up for bunging things elsewhere!

I've only built the Stormcast so far, but I've got a small jiffy bag of heads, a few shoulders, many spears and some backs left. I was hoping to scratch build one extra Stormcast but couldn't quite manage it.

Enough bits to decorate a base with or do some customisations on another box though. 

5 hours ago, And said:

It’s not just size, I found bjorn a bit uninspiring to paint, and ended up just churning him out. All the detail is really fiddly and shallow you can barely see some of it, let alone paint it. 

As for size. The smaller ones don’t look like there’s enough room in them for all the stuff they’d need in them,

if that makes sense. 

Anyway. I’m still going to build a list with him so he can go wreck some fools with his Fell hand. 

Bjorn is such a force multiplier for wolves

Watching some of the citadel masterclasses and they always load their brush, wipe it on a papertowel then put more paint on it. I don’t get that process can anyone explain please?

11 hours ago, And said:

I really want one of these

image.jpeg.507fce933810e8bc6438300b4124283f.jpeg

but they’re super expensive and I won’t do it justice. 

I'm getting one of those. And one of these:

01-01.jpg

And I think the only reason was I couldn't afford a train set when I was young.

10 hours ago, MattKB said:

Watching some of the citadel masterclasses and they always load their brush, wipe it on a papertowel then put more paint on it. I don’t get that process can anyone explain please?

Aren't they just showing you how the paint should flow when you have the right amount on it, and then loading it back up because they've done it? That was my interpretation at least. Or they're just checking for themselves. 

17 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Yep, loads of spares. I primed up a load of the Hobgrot spares to experiment with my base colours (Went with one coat of Plaguebearer Flesh and one coat of Aggaros Dunes in the end, which approximates the new Hobgrot Hide paint).

I got quite far with Yndastra but I put it down because I really wanted to make the base underwater (up to like, the first brick of the ruined staircase). I can’t figure out how to do a clean edge though, nor indeed to stop the resin going off the side.

815CD240-0004-4584-A60D-822A4C0D587D.thumb.jpeg.9570bd1ed788666ba1bfb54173683720.jpeg

4FD3BA60-B74C-4361-B37F-97F8FA735A7C.thumb.jpeg.718c15bc31e88da08e9ae4ff50333a07.jpeg

Holy shitballs man that's spectacular.  The colour on the wings is great, but the metallics look particularly amazing. And this is mainly with drybrushing?  Why am I wasting my time painstaking drawing lines around the edges of everything?  :lol:

@MattKB the reason the GW painters wipe some paint off is that they're both checking the paint flow and drawing the brush into a tip. Notice they're slightly twisting the brush as they draw it towards themselves, which gets you a nice point. I don't know why you would do this on a paper towel rather than the palate or a sheet of paper though. To my mind, a paper towel would actually affect the paint flow by drawing moisture out of it.

By the way, there's a few bits and pieces of my work appearing on the Siege Studios Instagram at the moment - the Drukhari Incubi and Drazhar, and some white and blue Space Marine Infiltrators.