IGNORED

Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

I got an Ork combat patrol for Xmas, along side my existing unbuilt Ork stuff I have a 2k list to assemble!

20 snagga boyz

20 boyz

3 mega nobz

Ghagzhull 

Squighog boyz

Weirdboy

3 deathkopters

1 death dread

1 stompa (already assembled and painted)

Superb as always Chris. Face on the characters is outstanding. I find that not many of the sculpts actually look that much like the actors (mainly down to them being so damn small), but these ones are spot on, and the paintjob seals the deal :)

5 hours ago, JoeK said:

Superb as always Chris. Face on the characters is outstanding. I find that not many of the sculpts actually look that much like the actors (mainly down to them being so damn small), but these ones are spot on, and the paintjob seals the deal :)

I think the lotr character models hold up quite well given the scale and the fact they were hand sculpted. There were a few duds I'll give you that but there are some real classics too. Plus some of those models are 20 years old!

4 hours ago, Cocky said:

I think the lotr character models hold up quite well given the scale and the fact they were hand sculpted. There were a few duds I'll give you that but there are some real classics too. Plus some of those models are 20 years old!

I know there's a lot of people who love the range. I can't say I've ever been one to give them much time unfortunately. Certainly in the earlier ones when the Perry twins were doing the majority of work, I always got the feeling they were phoning it in (and quite probably were most of the time, GW allowing them to focus their attentions on their own historicals at the same time!). 

Not for me, but when you do see a nice one painted such as yours it's always a good thing :) 

That Combat Patrol boxset is fantastic!

Each of the 3 Poxwalker sprues come with a Marine legs/back piece and a jet-pack, neither of which are shown/listed in the assembly guide. So, after a little bit of cutting, filing, gluing, and some imagination using the spare choices from the main set, i now have 10 marines instead of 7.   :)

Once i've primed them (to hide the shiney plastic cement residue) i'll post a photo of all 10, and you lot can guess which ones are the custom jobs.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/10/2015 at 11:15, Cocky said:

I've finally gotten around to painting a set of Mirkwood rangers for my own collection. I had a hard time settling on a colour scheme, even ones I had used before no longer looked decent. In the end I cheated a little and ripped of the colours from Giraldez's Ariadna paintings.

21884462801_3e942d4ec7_c.jpg

21687005908_8b08798e6d_c.jpg

21884458071_cfda6cf66e_c.jpg

Shot in the dark Cocky, but do you remember what you used for the skin on these?

No I don't remember what paints I used or how I even painted them. If I were to paint them now, and it's possible I will be at some point, I'd go with something like saddle brown basecoat then layer through mixes with beige red, basic skin tone and finish with light flesh. 

17 hours ago, MattKB said:

I’ll try cutting the pegs, didn’t think of that!! Thanks 

Sort of worked but I think these sigmar ones are just a bit like that. Even with force I can’t close the gaps really. 

9B6FDA13-DF34-4618-A01E-46923C70E791.jpeg

9 hours ago, Cocky said:

No I don't remember what paints I used or how I even painted them. If I were to paint them now, and it's possible I will be at some point, I'd go with something like saddle brown basecoat then layer through mixes with beige red, basic skin tone and finish with light flesh. 

Then I will give that a go. Thanks, Cocky.

6 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Hmmm, I have that exact set (Stormsire's Cursebreakers) and I was able to get them closed up eventually. Something must be catching inside the mini to prevent the shoulder pads touching. The neck?

No I don’t think so. A few others are tricky to get close joins too. I may try playing with those since I glued one now so that’s lost. 

Not really one for show but I assembled my first non push fit model today which I was pleased with as it was fiddly as anything. 

2F074A9A-D39D-4DB0-9DA6-B10D84394E4D.jpeg

So I seem to be doing ok selling painted minis on eBay. I’ve sold 5 lots now (some single figures, some in pairs or squads). I’ve basically taken the view that most sellers massively overprice and overrate their painted miniatures on eBay, and have therefore pitched my stuff not that far beyond the price of the original, unpainted mini. Except of course that most of mine were £7.99 a pop with Mortal Realms mag. So, for example, Lady Olynder is £27.50 new from GW. I got it for £7.99 with the mag, and I just sold it for £60, painted (which took me god knows how long).

Important thing is I’m getting positive feedback:

4FEDA4C5-8BF5-446F-8A64-31BB3776C521.thumb.png.ff4368ff7d9561b2cce47be2b551bef5.png

0A8CDC7A-1BC7-4F53-A1A5-FF958288BBFB.thumb.jpeg.1fec5e416f9d1fbd23b9edf738f5eee0.jpeg

Anyway I’m wondering what you guys think my next steps should be. I have a huge backlog of minis to paint, so many that I am 100% determined not to buy another until these are all painted (yeah, I know). So the plan is to just paint them for fun, and sell them for extra pocket money. It doesn’t matter if they don’t sell. But I’m also thinking of getting some business cards printed to include with each one, perhaps even saying I take commissions. But I don’t know how I’d price that and it’s a big commitment. I’d even consider doing a free commission to get something on my “CV” so to speak. 

What about an Etsy store, is that a good move? I can imagine there is some shocking work on there.

Any thoughts in general?