IGNORED

Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

Anyone know anything about the value of old GW stuff? 

Have this Space Hulk bundle that I want to sell, but have no idea on what to ask for it. 

9S5OY4t.jpeg

6ewAC15.jpeg

RAaIxR3.jpeg

sthGTyC.jpeg

VNtrOYT.jpeg

91Iwros.jpeg

tdjiWhg.jpeg

eMIvEf7.jpeg

L2id0ng.jpeg

Bit of a mixed box, this.

There's two sets of board pieces - one has a cross on the back and has 47 pieces, the other has  50 pieces. I'm guessing the unmarked is a full set?

There's 40 doors, though only 39 bases for them.

24 flamer templates

41 blip counters

16 overwatch / jam counters

12 action point counters

10 Terminators. Three still have aerials. One is a librarian and has the gun arm broken, but present. Three painted,one  of which has a flamer glued on. 7 flamers

23 assembled genestealers, one of which is painted. Four unassembled with 7 sets of arms.

Two rulebooks and one mission book.

The box is alright, but a bit scuffed in places. 

What's it all worth? Should I make one complete set and sell the rest of it as spares or should I just sell it all as one lot?

10 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

My brother has a pile of shame to rival any other. 

uhkVL0Z.jpeg

5h860wm.jpeg

mZ0cgGK.jpeg

ID6Yn3l.jpeg

QSD9kgR.jpeg

IBKGWa9.jpeg

P6SwRt3.jpeg

These boxes are two deep and full 

sy85Em3.jpeg

What the fuck? I’m suddenly feeling a lot better about my cupboard of shame. 

Then what’s the point? I’m always a bit baffled people that collect stuff just for the sake of owning it. he could presumably sell that lot and buy a small private island. 
I at least have the intent to paint and use the minis I’m hoarding.

1 hour ago, And said:

Then what’s the point? I’m always a bit baffled people that collect stuff just for the sake of owning it. he could presumably sell that lot and buy a small private island. 
I at least have the intent to paint and use the minis I’m hoarding.

Well, he is building them and displaying them (by army, no less) so presumably likes doing those bits of the hobby.

I empathise with that - I find painting takes a lot of time and effort, but building is really mindful, and 3 cabinets worth of armies on display. Most of them are unpainted, and I just pick up something when it takes my fancy to actually paint it.

I don't play 40k or AoS, despite having multiple armies for each. I have a desire to pay the smaller boxed games but, crucially, as I'm rarely in the office these days my opportunities to actually do that with people I want to do it with are pretty much zero now (the irony). 

1 hour ago, ScouserInExile said:

Anyone know anything about the value of old GW stuff? 

Have this Space Hulk bundle that I want to sell, but have no idea on what to ask for it. 

Bit of a mixed box, this.

There's two sets of board pieces - one has a cross on the back and has 47 pieces, the other has  50 pieces. I'm guessing the unmarked is a full set?

There's 40 doors, though only 39 bases for them.

24 flamer templates

41 blip counters

16 overwatch / jam counters

12 action point counters

10 Terminators. Three still have aerials. One is a librarian and has the gun arm broken, but present. Three painted,one  of which has a flamer glued on. 7 flamers

23 assembled genestealers, one of which is painted. Four unassembled with 7 sets of arms.

Two rulebooks and one mission book.

The box is alright, but a bit scuffed in places. 

What's it all worth? Should I make one complete set and sell the rest of it as spares or should I just sell it all as one lot?

A complete, unpainted 1st edition space hulk, boxed, is serious money - and you've (almost) got that there, but not quite (Plus a load of spares).

I would suggest putting it on one of the oldhammer valuation groups on Facebook.

@Pelekophoros

I don’t think that’s a display is it? It’s just shelves in his loft or something. That’s more stock than my local gw shop holds. I don’t know man, it just seems like a waste to me. It’s like thousands of pounds worth of stuff, just sitting there doing nothing. 

Might be an unpopular opinion but I wouldn’t display unpainted minis. I know that’s a bit gatekeepy of me but it’s the difference between “I made a thing” vs “i bought a thing”. But then again I don’t have any of mine on display apart from a couple next to my wfh desk, but that’s because I haven’t found a box for them yet. 

I get it’s a hobby that lends itself to acquisition and have easily bought and sold over a thousand of pounds worth of models - but now I find myself looking at sets and then balancing 

“but it’s a bargain”

vs

“it’ll never see play”

So if I can’t see a use for it I’m trying to not just buy shit for the sake of it. 
I’ve got 2 armies of various sizes for each of 40K and sigmar but do play 40K and have every intent of playing sigmar, and the boy has also an army for each (or he will by Xmas) so we can play together. I just don’t have room for so much matter. 

@And whatever brings people happiness is my simple thinking, tbh. I think that collection is awesome. You have different happiness parameters to them.

I build and prime my models then put them on display. I do that because I love GW minis and the lore that surrounds them. I'll often just stand looking at them, enjoying them, and the process of building and priming them is a mindful exercise that I find incredibly therapeutic (not dissimilar to building Lego).

I too have reached a point where I am generally not buying any more though; either because it won't get played or because I have no space to display it now.

9 hours ago, And said:

Yeah, I mean do your own thing and all that but I think that collection above is a bit excessive, strayed across a line from hobby to obsession.

The oldhammer orcs and goblins are a bit ridiculous. He has literally tens of thousands of points and they're increasing all the time. He's said he just wants to see how many he can get. 

I wonder if he even knows how many he has...? 

He's also always had a lot of Dark Angels and Space Wolves. There was a good thirty or so partially assembled Wolves on his "home" desk when I took those pictures. 

He's recently bought a 3D printer that is, evidently, good enough to print miniatures. I suspect things are about to get really silly. 

It's worth pointing out that he has a similar amount of shelving filled with books in another room. He has so many of those that the floor partially collapsed under the weight. 

On 15/12/2021 at 07:12, Oracle said:

He needs medical help as that's just hording.  

He does hoard / collect. He has a full set of 2000AD comics, from the first one to the latest, including all annuals, the Megazines, all the story collections and the newspaper collections. He's got every White Dwarf from 93 (the first 40k one) onwards. I think he has pretty much every Black Library book, which caused one of his floors to partially collapse under the weight. Pretty sure he still has hundreds of VHS tapes. 

He's one of these people who always has to have the "full set" of something. Even when we were kids, he had all these Garfield collection books and would have to get a new one every time he saw one. 

When we were looking for all the bits for those boxed games I'm now trying to sell, I came across a stack of FHM calendars. I pulled one out, which was the 2004 calendar, and said "well, that's for the bin". He took it off me and put it back in the stack in a very deliberate "no chance" way. 

Even now, I look at all his stuff and it fills me with dread because my first thought is always "I'm going to have to sort all this shit out one day" 

16 hours ago, MattKB said:

As long as he’s happy :)

There's very definitely an element of that to it. It's something he clearly really enjoys and spends a lot of time doing. He doesn't have any kids or other commitments that suffer as a result of his his hobby. And, while it's probably more expensive, it's certainly better for his health than a crack habit.