IGNORED

Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

Yeah, a white background is unforgiving which is why I use it 😅  I have some models from back in the day and it's embarrassing how bad they are. But the black background and shitty camera made them look better they were in reality. Using a white background forces me to paint with much higher contrast and gives me confidence that my models will look good even under less ideal settings.

4 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

That’s very kind of you to say, thank you. I still think I’m a bit scruffy in the way the paint actually hits the model, but that’s because I’m still worrying about making mistakes I think. Every time I finish something I learn something new though, or I get a bit cleaner on my technique though. It’s such a rewarding hobby. 

By the way, can anyone recommend a decent, cheap light box? I really want to move away from black backgrounds, or at least try something else 

How long have you been painting for?

2 hours ago, Cocky said:

Yeah, a white background is unforgiving which is why I use it 😅  I have some models from back in the day and it's embarrassing how bad they are. But the black background and shitty camera made them look better they were in reality. Using a white background forces me to paint with much higher contrast and gives me confidence that my models will look good even under less ideal settings.

I like a grey background as it’s a bit less harsh than white, and I find it doesn’t influence the colour perception as much as pure black or white.

5 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

I went for it!

6C1DDD00-8EEA-4626-9C86-F470142EE97D.thumb.jpeg.24ebd14381507d3735a0c55dbda09c2c.jpeg

6F35A537-8186-4D45-9BCB-9A64A864F1D4.thumb.jpeg.df34a1a72cea660fb07ec0048a1440df.jpeg

That was tense! But I rather think it rounds off his character. Good idea @Nicky!

I also toned the trouser shine down a bit with some good old snake (nuln) oil 

That’s fantastic.  The hairy arms are a great touch.

23 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

That he's that good after only 18 months of painting I'm guessing, because I had the same reaction. But then I'm slack as shit and get discouraged easily.

I didn't exactly have a standing start, as I was doing Airfix stuff beforehand, and I've always been artistic (A-level art, made an animated film with hand built sets and macquettes etc for my degree). I have rather thrown myself into this though. Also, I haven't shown anyone my aborted first Stormcast - I will dig them out and post them later. That's some thick, thick paint application!

Yesterday's delivery:

20211204_140140.thumb.jpg.5a8de83d2d73996e345896df42ed71fa.jpg20211204_161834.thumb.jpg.92dba22e6a59c06fc3def3435899f704.jpg

I read all the Rules and Manuals. Then watched part of a Let's Play on Youtube, which helped immensely. That evening i built all 44 models, which i really enjoy (no sarcasm). I find the process kinda therapeutic.

20211205_112112.thumb.jpg.94443f51a906966a012cb37f5a4d6e65.jpg

That said, i did have 3 problems along the way:

One of the Psykers chains were snapped on the spure, so no way of connecting to the base. So i cut off the excess chains, plastic cemented his weights to the base then stuck his legs to the side of the weights for maximum support. Looks good, like he was grounded for a second.

One of the Beastmen (1-footed pose) didn't fit into his slot and was flopping forward. So i used a spare Psyker sprue and cemented his weight infront of the foot of the Beastman, so it looks like he's tripping over! lol!

The other 1-footed pose Beastman didn't have the correct base, because i gave it to one of the Explorers by accident (and cemented it, n00b error), so i sliced one hoof slightly so it has a flatter connection to the base, then moulded two Psyker heads on top of each other to support the raised leg. Like he's showing off, stood on his kills.  

Today, i set up my first solo game, and played the first Expedition to completion. 

20211205_132111.thumb.jpg.d89503f5beee3e68f127e36932af9412.jpg

It worked out pretty well considering all the back & forth manual checks you have to do for a first run. I did find a great fan-made pdf of the steps/actions/sequences etc, which helped a lot.

Anyway, i got a Clue on my first try. One Explorer was 'Out of Action' but we made it back to Precipice, so he's back in the mix. I pulled Beastmen on my Legacy card, so next run should be fun.

I was however unable to find one of the tiles for the Combat layout i was presented. 😕 Do i have missing pieces? It shows as a 3-piece outlined. Do i make that up with 3x1 pieces if its not there (i checked all sides of all those available in that shape)?

My dining room table which seats 6 was barely big enough to contain the game, so i just ordered some interlocking gaming mats to make a flat surface on the carpet of another room where i can spread out.

21 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Thanks guys! :)

I must stop dropping unfinished models and moving onto others though. Still got the rest of Gaunt's Ghosts to finish!

I really want someone to commission me with this figures! I idly look at them on the website, but I just can't justify the price :P

25 minutes ago, JoeK said:

I really want someone to commission me with this figures! I idly look at them on the website, but I just can't justify the price :P

They're so much better than the older design of Stormcast, some of which are fine, but all of which have a kind of dumpy feel to them.

Couple more faces with eyeballs that I absolutely must not ruin:

50B75C67-1E31-44B4-8F4B-565721976C65.thumb.jpeg.79ec3488bc8a937451e2c97bfb6ce4e8.jpeg

04817837-9145-40F1-89BB-21546AF4025D.thumb.jpeg.48a60e4880b1b161d95537e266561436.jpeg