IGNORED

Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

2 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

The nighthaunts are a pain in the arse for that. Being the cack handed, stumpy fingered idiot I am the thought of handling them terrifies me.

Some of them are so fiddly to put together it’s a miracle they ever make it off the sprue in one piece. And even though in theory you can melt broken pieces together, in practice the bond is never quite secure enough for the same injuries not to reoccur.

Also this one? Wobbles like a jelly when you handle it, so painting it is a constant struggle to keep it still whilst also not crushing it like crisps under bison. 

1 hour ago, martingee said:

I can see you used some grass tufts but what are the longer, grassy plants?

I must admit; by the time I get to basing I'm usually done with the model so I'm looking to up my base game a bit.

Yeah, I’m interested to know what those are too.

I think getting your base done earlier in the process can really help. Also having a recipe that works for you and is quickly replicated can take a lot of the stress out of it and then you can actually enjoy putting skulls and rocks etc on it.

I’ve mentioned it before but Darren Latham had an excellent YouTube guide on how to do “official” GW style bases but he’s taken his account down now. Still got an extract on his Instagram though, worth a look. The only bit he does that I don’t like is the heavy overbrush on the rocks - I prefer a lighter dry brush with a brighter colour after the first one.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2WFia-nnt-/?utm_medium=copy_link

Biggest takeaway for me from that was how much better sand is than texture paint.

The fine highlights on the scythe handles are surprisingly easy. I undercoat with Corax White spray. The handles are then painted with Gore Grunta Fur contrast paint. The highlights are picked out by running Cadian Fleshtone along them using the side of a size 1 brush. So I make sure there is not too much paint on the brush and rub the edges on the handles with the bit about halfway down from the tip. Some bits get a second pass of that.

The plants that are not your common tufts are Sphagnum mosses that I pick up while walking in the woods. Just look at dry stone walls, or under trees on a walk out. You will soon start to notice the stuff. I try to pick it up when it is dry because I don't want it to go mouldy. I dry it out completely at home by just leaving it lying about. If you keep it in the dark it stays green, if you leave it in the light at fades to yellow. I stick it in place with superglue, which is important because it is really fragile. The superglue is absorbed by the stuff and then sets, making it tougher and preserving its colour to some extent, although it still fades to yellow in time.

I love your Lady Olynder. I have that one in my pile of shame. I will get to it eventually.

Thanks man. She’s come together quite quickly, I should get it finished tomorrow.

Looking at my own Grimghast Reapers again the Wildwood Contrast I used over pure white has highlighted the raised bits of the hafts quite nicely, so I probably didn’t want to risk ruining them with a clumsy edge highlight, but I might pick a finished one out of the box for further practice.

EA1228CF-C897-4CBE-86AF-1C61BD1DE3E5.thumb.jpeg.d9a74768fee8516235ce3a498bb1fcf7.jpeg

Thats a brilliant idea regarding the real moss. I’m going to keep an eye out! 

The latest post on the Siege Studios Instagram feed is one of mine.  

https://www.instagram.com/p/CV0vo3UtpFC/

I don't know how I feel about it.  Farsight is a cool character, and back when it was first designed it was a really great model.  The state of it as a recent Finecast cast is poor though - not a straight line on the thing.  I straightened out what I could, but it felt ready to disintegrate.  It was hard work trying to make any edge on it look sharp.  I'm not sure I achieved that or anything else with it.  What do you think?  Am I being too self-critical, or should I tender my resignation?

On 20/10/2021 at 23:54, idiwa said:

@MattKB I'd use a mouldliner or back of a scalpel on the leg plate and I'd take a scalpel to the backpack and finish off with a needle file.

You can also paint on small amounts of modelling cement to really smooth things out perfectly. I have some Mr. Cement S which is used exclusively for this as it's extremely thin. The screw pot lid has an attached dunk brush, too.

4 hours ago, Pelekophoros said:

I caved with the discounted box set. 60 minis with a lush rulebook, and those hero models are gorgeous. 

I also caved. I’m so weak. Anyone want to buy some swampy orks?

That box set is sooooo worth it though.  If I hadn't already got it I would have ordered one too. I'm tempted to anyway, to paint and sell, but I think I'd be deluded if I think I'd have time.

More of my stuff has popped up on the Siege insta. The big red Tau army is mine, and so are the Deathwing Terminators.  

1 hour ago, feltmonkey said:

400 years.

Sorry. God knows how long in hours.  About ten weeks, but as I often do, I started slowly. I find building pretty tedious, so that takes more time than it probably should.

It really does. I love it because I find seeing the constructed models inspiring, but i hate the feeling of the plastic and the scalpels and mould line removers etc. Kills my hands. I went deeeeep into the tip of my thumb the other day, not a slash but a direct stab. Still killing me now.

Still, at least I won't have 60 new minis to put togeth...oh wait...

building is improved 100 fold, by getting some actual premium snippers. things like teh DSPAE Single bladed nippers or Godhands, whichever are cheaper. They need to be single bladed if you're struggling to work out which pair to get. Without any hyperbole, using them is like slicing through butter. there's no "ping" theres no sprue marks, there's no danger of snapping plastic, cleanup is extremely minimal. Geting some improved my building experience so so much. They ARE costly. but if one part of the hobby is not fun or you actually hate doing, its a worthy investment for years of improved experience.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DSPIAE-ST-Single-Blade-Nipper/dp/B07F8Q3C2T

and these for moldlines

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Micro-Mesh-Colored-Sanding-Sticks/dp/B01MTR3X1S

are pretty much my build tools of choice

1 hour ago, Nicky said:

building is improved 100 fold, by getting some actual premium snippers. things like teh DSPAE Single bladed nippers or Godhands, whichever are cheaper. They need to be single bladed if you're struggling to work out which pair to get. Without any hyperbole, using them is like slicing through butter. there's no "ping" theres no sprue marks, there's no danger of snapping plastic, cleanup is extremely minimal. Geting some improved my building experience so so much. They ARE costly. but if one part of the hobby is not fun or you actually hate doing, its a worthy investment for years of improved experience.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DSPIAE-ST-Single-Blade-Nipper/dp/B07F8Q3C2T

and these for moldlines

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Micro-Mesh-Colored-Sanding-Sticks/dp/B01MTR3X1S

are pretty much my build tools of choice

42 quid?! Crikey, they ought to make me a cuppa in the morning an all for 42 quid!

On 04/11/2021 at 17:39, And said:

As a heads up - wayland have the new sigmar dominion box for £62. That’s a lot of minis for the price. Trying very hard to resist 

I just ordered this. Seemed like the perfect excuse to get back into models and painting after a 25+ year hiatus. 

Do you wonderfully talented lot have any go-to threads or links/lists of all the basic tools and paints i need to get restarted without spending more than i have to.

Once I'm tooled up, I'll come back asking for tutorial videos and tips to get me back into the groove.  

when I got back into it I picked up my beginner suppliers from the range 

can of grey primer - £6

couple of Windsor and Newton galleria brushes for about £3 each - size 1 and 0

random selection of citadel paints I’d found cheap. 

If you’re starting out with this box and aiming for the box colours I would be tempted to spray all the stormcast with the citadel gold spray and then go from there. 

For the orks I’d spray them white or citadel wraithbone and use the new contrast paints on them. You’d probably only need 5 or 6 colours to do the army. 

There was a thread on getting started painting i set up in here when I started off again, might be a page back now. 
found it