IGNORED

Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

1 hour ago, feltmonkey said:

I generally use Vallejo's airbrush primer these days, but I do like GW Chaos Black because it's basically indestructable.  Once it's on there, it's not rubbing off.  Colour Forge's Matte Black spray is the big new thing at the moment.  I've not used it personally, but people like it.  It's not actually much cheaper than GW's spray cans so I'm not sure what the advantage is.

Yeah, the desaturation is why I don't use pre-shading this way.  Having said that, have you tried a Grisaille method with contrast paints?  You have to go over the zenithal sketch with some exaggerated lights and shadows, and make sure you have some pure white lines, but it can look pretty good, and is quite fast to do.  There's a Marco Frisoni video about it.  It's definitely the best use of contrast paints I've found, apart from shading metallics with Basillica Grey which is just the best thing.  You still get the desaturation, but as long as you've got the white highlights in place you still get fully saturated brightest highlights, as the contrast paints are so heavily pigmented for a "wash."  You end up with a really natural look.  It can be a bit of a leap of faith as you're never sure exactly how the contrast paints will react with the greyscale areas the first time you use them.

Marco's video - 

That’s an extreme version of what I’ve been doing, albeit more simplistically with a light dry brush over my base coat. I might give the full black and white sketch a try! 

Doing the grisaille itself is a good exercise in volumes & values, if it looks good like that then it should look good once the colours go in.

Speaking of contrast paints, what are go to colours if I wanted to try them?  The impression I get is the act like thin inks with glaze medium in them.  Seeing a Marco’s video last week with the skeletal knight has made me interested in trying the S75 alchemy paints too, which from what I gather are a lot thinner.

1 hour ago, The Bag said:

Doing the grisaille itself is a good exercise in volumes & values, if it looks good like that then it should look good once the colours go in.

Speaking of contrast paints, what are go to colours if I wanted to try them?  The impression I get is the act like thin inks with glaze medium in them.  Seeing a Marco’s video last week with the skeletal knight has made me interested in trying the S75 alchemy paints too, which from what I gather are a lot thinner.

I don’t know what the exact properties are, but the “secret” seems to be in the way they dry. They are much thicker and gloopier than a glaze, and they sort of shrink away from raised edges as they dry, or seem to. I applied some to a leather strap on a Gryph Hound earlier, and it looks like it’s been edge highlighted.

You can actually make your own contrast paint colours by mixing regular base paints with contrast medium, something I forget to do. Probably because I have so many contrast paints already. 

As for essential colours, my favourites are:

Skeleton Horde. Paint corax white. One coat of Skeleton Horde. Get this:

A8CFB964-C5B2-4F11-971F-FDAAEFE307F4.thumb.jpeg.43dfb882a10cc53f2e7ed7a729a80cdc.jpeg

Wyldwood. A lovely dark brown. Instant wood grain over any textured wood that’s been primed white, but generally just a lovely rich brown.

Terradon Turquoise. This is just a really fun, vibrant colour that really peps up anything that’s already blue, and blends really well with Aethermatic Blue (which is good for glowing effects, being like a bluer Nihilakh Oxide). I used Terradon Turquoise here on some deliberately over-highlighted cloaks as a filter:

1E1762D9-E194-4B6F-9372-4C285B36A053.thumb.jpeg.fa67a73adc5fc54b22d7f9d3bd53c449.jpeg

Gryph Hound Orange. Gorgeous on its own over white, but works best when mixed with Volupus Pink or Flesh Tearer’s Red over pre-shaded grey to make a nice red leather colour:

3D6DCEA3-53AF-48F8-A9BD-B27BCC696F4F.thumb.jpeg.2784bc7b8889366a51668ea224cd4fa5.jpeg

Black Templar - Instant black with highlights, but also great as a Nuln Oil alternative if you thin it down. Basilicanum Grey is similarly useful but I prefer thinned Black Templar.

To be honest they’re all great fun. I thought Apothecary White was a bit pointless but I recently mixed it with Gryph Hound Grey and got a nice cloth colour for my Stormcast. They all react so differently with different base coats that the possibilities are kind of endless, and that’s before you start mixing them, blending them, feathering them out etc etc. I’ve actually just put in an order for the last few I don’t have, so I’ll have the lot then! 

Sorry for spamming my own work btw. Just the easiest method of showing what I use. JH miniatures on YouTube is a good channel though - he does “Contrast Plus” video which are pretty amazing I think. 

"Thanks for subscribing to Warhammer+, here, have a voucher!"

"Great, thanks."

"You have to use it before November, mind."

"No problem. Wait, hold on...."

"By the way, 75% of our store is out of stock."

"...and there we go."

Think mine may go on contrast paint, although the last time I tried to order paint directly from GW I had to cancel it after 6 weeks as one of the colours had gone out of stock & holding up the entire order.

How are people finding Warhammer+ so far?  

I’m mainly there for the animations.  I’ve been enjoying Angels of Death, I love the style of it, the colour palette.  I like the representation of the marines with their mixed  armour marks, elaborate filigree and names on their pauldrons.  I’m interested to see where the story goes.  Not a fan of the dialogue for the most part, the marines mostly feel like caricatures - it feels like the writers have a quota of brother and angel to hit each episode.  I know they’re not going to be able to characterise them as well as the novels, but it feels like my first space marine dialogue, brother.  I like the ship mistress, although that may be me projecting Lotara Sartin onto her, and the chaplain, mainly cause it’s really funny to have the dude in the skull mask talking about friendship & brotherhood.

I haven’t watched the new set of Hammer & Bolters, but I enjoyed the first set well enough.  I like that the don’t turn away from the nastiness of living in the imperium - especially the library episode.

Lore Masters is good, although I think Wade should be stood further away from the backdrop/green screen so he’s not casting a shadow onto it.  Citadel Masterclass has been fine, but so far nothing you can’t get elsewhere, I want to see Louise explore her style.

Haven't watched any of the rest of it.  And I wish they’d have credits on the animations.

*looks at basket with loads of stuff in it*

Yeah, spending that £10 voucher is not going to be an issue. I need more Necromunda scenery (though I also need the ZM tiles to come back in stock) and I also want to pick up the Killteam rules because why not hey? Also lol Nurgle plushie.

WH+ is decent. I'm super happy it exists but I'm less interested in the video output than I am the Vault. I think that's because it takes time to build a video library that, as a standalone piece, feels substantial. I wish we'd curate a load of content from elsewhere on to it, just to save me digging through YouTube or Twitch for things.

While the Vault is just a PDF reader, it's nice to have a curated list of lore to delve into whenever I fancy having a read. I don't even have an issue with the rules being ripped out, I like this lore being available in an accessible and easy way for when my missus is hogging the TV.

I don't play either of the main games so, at this point, the 40k and AoS apps are redundant for me.

So, a month and 2 payments in, but with a £10 voucher in my pocket, I'm cool with it.

@Davros sock drawer

i thought terradon turquoise was too dark, it doesn’t really give enough contrast. 
though I’ve just done all my stormcast in a diluted version 2:1 medium : paint over a leadbelcher base coat and that’s light enough to let the metal show through. 
D84E0556-EB54-45EB-91B9-6ADA6C70A939.thumb.jpeg.a87b7775851782d85b9ce9cb72508c62.jpeg

I find natural colours work really well, but some of the more primary colours are a bit rubbish. 
Skeleton horde is my favourite along with Guilliman flesh. SH is great for bone, stone, paper, I’ve nearly run out my second pot. 
Then snakebite leather, wildwood, gore grunta fur are brill for wood and clothes etc. 

Space wolf grey and black templar are also really good. 

Yes, I do tend to feather Terradon Turquoise out a bit with water, but like all of them it rather depends on what your base colour is. For those cloaks I highlighted up to pure white, which meant the Terradon Turquoise was perfect to blend that extreme highlight with the blue.

Btw I’m trying something new with that Necron you kindly sent me - Storm Surge Green metallic colour shift (or as they say “Chameleon”)paint from Green Stuff World:

363B83FC-B7E1-4E37-8F71-8FCC2BEACD6C.thumb.png.62918f9d8cb91d4731dbec4d78f5e7d6.png

CA41FBC7-64C0-46F3-BA26-31D38CD271CB.thumb.png.7db5c2faa6cc099c84625e5d7d6e87a5.png

It’s kinda fun!

40 minutes ago, And said:

That will look cool. Like a 90’s Alfa Romeo. 

It really did at first, but I’ve toned it down with Nuln Oil a bit as it was really quite OTT.  

Work in progress…

69AA695C-83B6-4095-AFE8-16FF77FF5E69.thumb.jpeg.608e0473b6ba3cdc084ffd3477145e9f.jpeg

8E70CA31-6127-46BE-B95F-8E60D085B037.thumb.jpeg.85b41d454eb3a6a91ab92d9e5b54f0fb.jpeg

I might glaze a bit of it on again once I’m happy with the weathering.

Question for you guys - I haven’t done the gun at all yet. Glowing green, or should I go for a contrasting colour? 

On 02/10/2021 at 19:28, The Bag said:

How are people finding Warhammer+ so far?  

It's ok. Still has a metric shit tonne of issues and should not have launched until they'd been sorted, but I've gone over them before so won't do.so again.

Actually, I found a new one: it forgets what you've watched already. Which a big issue yet but will be once they get a decent level of content.

On 30/09/2021 at 20:06, feltmonkey said:

Any method that works is the right method, and your stuff is always good!  I do think you would go to the next level if you forced yourself to learn how to place highlights yourself with layering, blending, or edge-highlighting.  Due to Siege's house style at the moment a comically high percentage of my life in general is spent edge-highlighting, so I'm getting a lot of practice in.  It is a very handy technique to learn.  There's no need to go round every edge (like I'm doing) unless you're going for a box-art style, but a few edge highlights on the areas where light would fall (upper areas of the model, upturned sharp edges) can really

Been mulling this over, as I often think I've "ruined" a mini when I try to highlight it like that, but I have so many spare minis that I'm not really sure what I'm worrying about!

Specifically, I painted this up using Contrast Paints and dry brushing in a couple of hours the other night, and I think it looks pretty good for the amount of effort I put in.

3C6C9076-DA42-43FD-BE8B-026F1D532785.thumb.jpeg.4c5851ed8c53980bbe82d93a1e06bc1f.jpeg

08FEB8E1-BA79-4400-87D4-6243507FCA72.thumb.jpeg.fc159c1b8c64327ab6a6f79f09412890.jpeg

But then I saw some incredible examples on Instagram with traditional edge highlights, so I thought I'd give it a go on a spare. It's a much more bum-clenching way to paint, but I dunno, it seems to be getting there. Not finished yet of course.

3EDA0823-711E-4268-B533-BCCDD4DD39BE.thumb.jpeg.b871148499aea9f54fa5b07e2f2fbb2e.jpeg

CF726D02-C9DB-4A6A-A739-EC122C45F454.thumb.jpeg.d566c478a5dd7f2431982275d1275d9f.jpeg

What do you think? I'm currently fighting the urge to do some sort of wash over the top to blend it all together.

11 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

What do you think? 

They both look flipping great!

The orange mane on the contrast one makes it stand out, but I do really like the definition you've got on the muscles on the edge highlighted one.  You did a superb job on the highlights, really neat and convincing values.  Having said that, you have got some great definition on the contrast one as well!  It just goes to show that as I said, whatever method works is the right one.

There's nothing stopping you from combining the two as well.  You can use your contrast and drybrush method, and then if you see somewhere you might like to define an edge or add a little more contrast to a mini, you can pick out a few spots.  

I mean, I misread your post at first when you mentioned incredible examples on Instagram and I glanced down your post at the one you posted I thought, "yeah, the highlighting on that example he's found on Instagram is pretty incredible." The muscles at the front of the dog in particular look brilliant.

I want one of those Yamaha amps, by the way.  I've got a nice modelling amp, but it's so big and loud I don't know when I'll ever be able to get it out again.

27 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

They both look flipping great!

The orange mane on the contrast one makes it stand out, but I do really like the definition you've got on the muscles on the edge highlighted one.  You did a superb job on the highlights, really neat and convincing values.  Having said that, you have got some great definition on the contrast one as well!  It just goes to show that as I said, whatever method works is the right one.

There's nothing stopping you from combining the two as well.  You can use your contrast and drybrush method, and then if you see somewhere you might like to define an edge or add a little more contrast to a mini, you can pick out a few spots.  

I mean, I misread your post at first when you mentioned incredible examples on Instagram and I glanced down your post at the one you posted I thought, "yeah, the highlighting on that example he's found on Instagram is pretty incredible." The muscles at the front of the dog in particular look brilliant.

I want one of those Yamaha amps, by the way.  I've got a nice modelling amp, but it's so big and loud I don't know when I'll ever be able to get it out again.

Haha, no the Instagram one was this:

C981D09B-31FA-46FE-97CA-F3C07B217EB5.thumb.jpeg.c55d1e0b6cca3859637a8b5b28fbe168.jpeg

My “problem” (there is no problem per se, it’s all good), is that I aspire to that clean, smooth style of painting, but I’m also excited to paint lots and lots of models and know that I can get good results with more, let’s say “random” methods like dry-brushing. 

You’re right about combining both styles of course - I’ve done that before. But the highlights I paint manually are always a bit thick, rough, or shaky, and so I often think they make my work look worse when I add them. That’s just practice of course, and also having the patience to go that extra mile. 

Appreciate the feedback and kind comments on it anyway. I think I’ll keep working on it and see how far I can push it (I’ve yet to add the orange mane on the new one, plan being to use contrast as before then individually highlight the raised feathers this time). Better comparison pic I took this morning:

5E7A8EC7-19A6-44DF-9A4A-DEAA39EB0AF7.thumb.jpeg.7a74b00182768c51bf64210cf3fecca6.jpeg

Perhaps I’ll add some manual highlights to the one on the left. No reason not to experiment with it, it’s not like it’s “for” anything. Gotta say, I don’t know how you paint so many models consistently the way you do. Hats off! 

Oh yeah, and the Yamaha is brilliant. It’s only the THR5 but it sounds incredible.

14 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

My “problem” (there is no problem per se, it’s all good), is that I aspire to that clean, smooth style of painting, but I’m also excited to paint lots and lots of models and know that I can get good results with more, let’s say “random” methods like dry-brushing. 

You’re right about combining both styles of course - I’ve done that before. But the highlights I paint manually are always a bit thick, rough, or shaky, and so I often think they make my work look worse when I add them. That’s just practice of course, and also having the patience to go that extra mile. 

Appreciate the feedback and kind comments on it anyway. I think I’ll keep working on it and see how far I can push it (I’ve yet to add the orange mane on the new one, plan being to use contrast as before then individually highlight the raised feathers this time). 

There's a lot to be said for painting a good quantity of minis fast, particularly if you can create striking results.  At the same time, it's good to have other methods and skills in your armoury.  I don't really consider the super edge-highlighted look to be my own particular style really, but by being able to do it I ended up landing a job, so I'm glad I learned how to!  There's a few key things you need to do it really well - practice, some of those magnifying glasses things, a steady hand and a decent brush, and the knowledge that almost no-one can do them perfectly every time, and for the most part those really thin lines are achieved by painting a line that isn't thin enough and going back in with the basecoat to thin the line down.  Actual edges on models are the easiest - you use the side of the brush and run it lightly along the edge.

14 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Gotta say, I don’t know how you paint so many models consistently the way you do. Hats off! 

Thanks!  The key for me is to do it every day for at least eight hours.  😬  I'm still pretty slow, I think.  I just do it full time, so stuff gets done eventually.  I'm doing plasma coils this morning, which are nerve-wracking for me as they involve taking an airbrush to an otherwise finished model.