Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Lorfarius

42 minutes ago, And said:

Awesome. Is that freehand on the shoulder bits?

I wish.  As @Nicky says it’s they’re all transfers.  After coughing up eBay prices for the sheet I’m going to use the thing as much as possible 😂

8 hours ago, And said:

Are Orks still terrible in game? I love the look of the meks and stompas and stuff but couldn’t be arsed painting the 80 boyz you need to get them on the table. 

Not sure, there’s a bunch of changes in the new codex that reduces the amount of dice rolls , e.g Dakka dakka has changed. 

I've been flicking through the new 40K rules, having not really paid any attention to the game for years. Is Power just a kinda rough estimate of points value, sort of thing?

Looking at the new Space Marines codex, working out actual points values seems to be needlessly difficult - they're in a separate section of the army list, from what I can see. Is the idea that it's a more casual "roughly the same value armies" thing now?

Speaking of Space Marines, what the hell is going on with the range of options? What happened to Tactical, Assault and Devastator squads? There seems to be about 30 different types of squads now.

@Captain Novaforce

Really? Interesting. I still think I’d struggle with a horde army, it’s bad enough with marines as I’ve accidentally amassed like 4000 points worth. If I started on orks id have a house full. 

@ScouserInExile

Marines have ludicrous number of units. There’s loads of first gen, then the primaris which are like aspect warriors in that each unit has a relatively set loadout and a specific job. 

Power is just an easier way of list building for casual/narrative games. 1 power roughly equates to 20points. But power costs include weapons, so for example, a unit of basic plague marines costs the same as one where each dude has power weapons. 

If you’re list building just use the app. Or BattleScribe which is like the 40k

app but miles better. It’s likely most of those points in the codex are out of date anyway

So, because I'm really not up on the AoS lore at all (I love the figures, but I'll always be Old World Warhammer, me) - are the Orruks the new orcs, or are they some sort of half-orc thing? I mean, they've completely changed the look of the things if they're still orcs. 

On 19/07/2021 at 09:52, And said:

@ScouserInExile

Marines have ludicrous number of units. There’s loads of first gen, then the primaris which are like aspect warriors in that each unit has a relatively set loadout and a specific job. 

Power is just an easier way of list building for casual/narrative games. 1 power roughly equates to 20points. But power costs include weapons, so for example, a unit of basic plague marines costs the same as one where each dude has power weapons. 

If you’re list building just use the app. Or BattleScribe which is like the 40k

app but miles better. It’s likely most of those points in the codex are out of date anyway

there seems to be a lot of stuff that's happened in 40K that has passed me by. I've mostly been reading the novels for some time - in recent times, I've worked my way through the Eisenhorm / Ravenor / Bequin books, all the Gaunt's Ghosts books and anything chaos-y I can find - and haven't really paid attention to the game. In at least one of the books I've read recently, they've mentioned that the astronomicon if offline and Cadia seems to have been destroyed. I've no idea where (as in where is has been detailed) or when this has happened or why there are suddenly so many flavours of Space Marines. What's the easiest way to catch up on the lore?

I’m not an expert am afraid, I’ve read a few books from humble bundles, but a bit scattergun. (I like the ones about guard or inquisitors best. Marines are boring.)

I think Cadia falls when abaddon launches his crusade out of the eye of terror at the start of 8th edition maybe, when dark imperium launched. Despite being just an angry dude abandon has got mortarion and magnus to come out of retirement and start kicking off. Can’t remember what other primarchs are still Alive/ missing/ demons. 

Rowboat girlyman comes out of his coma just in time for Cawl to finish his school project that he was set 10,000 years ago to make the marines a bit taller and more marketable. So Bert and cawl go on a jolly round the galaxy dropping off big marines to all the chapters so they can go kick chaos’ butt. This is I think the indomitus campaign. There’s a fair bit of fluff in white dwarf about it. 

so there’s rumours that maybe GW will bring back Russ or Vulcan. 

For much of the current set up you have to go back to the end of 7th edition and read the lore in the Gathering Storm trilogy of narrative campaign books. That deals explicitly with some Important Things.

Then you're into the Dark Imperium novels, which cover a good chunk of 8th edition. There are 3 of them.

I'm not sure the end of edition narrative campaign - Psychic Awakening - is that relevant, but it's there. The Dawn of Fire novels are next, I think.

I think from there you need to jump to the Indomitus novel, the first detailing the 9th edition and what's happening now.

Surprisingly, it's war.

7 minutes ago, Pelekophoros said:

Then you're into the Dark Imperium novels, which cover a good chunk of 8th edition. There are 3 of them.

In a classic GW move, the timeline for these has been changed as apparently the first editions of these books clashed with later lore:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/368039-dawn-of-fire-dark-imperium-timeline-change/

Good books to get you up to speed:

• Cadia Stands - to see what happens to Cadia
  • The Emperor's Legion (Volume 1) (Watchers of the Throne)  and it's sequel, shows what a mess Earth is and the mobilisation of the Custodians including the return of Roboute Guiliman. Also they are written by Chris Wraight who is one of the best authors they have at the moment.
  • Then you could jump straight into the Dawn of Fire books, as they detail the start of the Indomnitus Crusade setting off from Earth.

The Dark Imperium books are a bit hit a miss IMO, and I didn't hear good things about the Gathering Storm series but they do detail a lot around the Eldar involvement. 

21 minutes ago, RFT said:

In a classic GW move, the timeline for these has been changed as apparently the first editions of these books clashed with later lore:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/368039-dawn-of-fire-dark-imperium-timeline-change/

Ha! Oh well, I tried :D

A timeline order read of 40k is harder than a timeline order watch of the MCU now.

Have you guys seen the shitstorm about the new IP guidlines GW have issued?  They've effectively shut down all fan animations specifically, with the potential to stop all lore videos, codex reviews, and the rules they've issued around "fan artworks" could easily be used to shut down all painting tutorials and patreons that use GW miniatures and paint schemes.  They'd be crazy to do so, and it wouldn't stand up in court to try to stop videos of a product being used for it's intended purpose, of course, but it seems a touch heavy-handed.  It's probably a result of the upcoming launch of Warhammer + I suppose.  

The internet has over-reacted, as it tends to do.  It is a shame that we won't see any more fan animations appear on youtube, and it seems a bit of an own goal to destroy the breeding ground for your own talent, as GW have hired the likes of the guy who did the Astartes videos to produce stuff for them.  And of course we will - ALAS! - never again be able to watch the Man Reads Book codex reviews.  

I saw some stuff on Reddit but that made me more sympathetic with GW. 
There’s one guy who had signed up to make a show for GW, got so much shit from toxic neck beards, who were attacking him because they weren’t getting free content on YouTube anymore that he’s packed it all in and won’t do any warhammer stuff at all. Well done guys. Warhammer has some really awful, entitled assholes in the hobby. 

Can’t blame them from wanting to protect their IP if they're launching a video service.  You wouldn’t get Disney being cool with loads of people churning out content using their IP for free. 

There’s no way they’ll shut down all the other stuff as it’s basically free advertising. 

It's interesting. So much of IP law is, I think, only broadly accepted by the public because it's not rigidly enforced. We all as people probably commit several IP violations every day (posting memes, quotes, etc).

It's all going to come down into that grey area between what GW say they have the right to do, and what they actually do do.

But as my local store manager said to me a couple of weeks ago, slightly wistfully, "It's going to be a very different company in a couple of years". They made an absolute fortune last year (I've heard £350m) and with that kind of cash is the opportunity to try several new things.

The accounts are public, so there's no secret there.:

For the year to 30 May 2021, we estimate the Group’s sales to be not less than £350 million (2019/20: £270 million) and the Group’s profit before tax to be not less than £150 million (2019/20: £89 million). This includes royalties receivable from licensing which are estimated to be approximately £15 million (2019/20: £17 million). 

We're worth £3.7b on the stock market. Games Workshop is already a very different company.

55 minutes ago, RFT said:

It's interesting. So much of IP law is, I think, only broadly accepted by the public because it's not rigidly enforced. We all as people probably commit several IP violations every day (posting memes, quotes, etc).

It's all going to come down into that grey area between what GW say they have the right to do, and what they actually do do.

Yes, I think this is right.  There's also the grey area between what they say they can do and what they actually can do.  From what I've heard, IP law is pretty labyrinthine and difficult to enforce.  

I doubt they will start issuing cease and desists left and right, although they have said they will have a zero-tollerance stance on fan animations, which obviously comes from the fact that Warhammer+ will have a few animations available.  

What I find strange is that this enormous growth they've had over the past few years has coincided with them making a concerted effort to be more customer-friendly, approachable, and being involved with and supportive of the community.  Making a big statement that they intend to shut down elements of that community is a bit of a shift away from that, and that is a shame.

The response from the community kind of shows why they wouldn't want to be too close to those guys though.  There are some really dislikable, entitled elements to the fanbase.  It's entirely sensible to give yourself a get out to issue cease and desists to whoever you feel like when you've got prominent community figures like Arch turning out to be an alt-right fuckhead.  People were also making a lot of money from their IP, I think the Astartes guy was making a lot of cash, for example.  Why should a company allow that to happen? Employing him to make content for them instead of just stomping on him isn't an anti-community move, despite what they idiots started shouting when they realised it meant that they now had to pay to watch his videos.  

We'll have to wait and see what happens.  Hopefully this is a self-protection measure and not the prelude for a load of parts of the comminity being made to stop what they're doing.