Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

sorry - i should say. you mgiht have more success doing your base coats, then chipping, then grime wash in that order in future. i tend to follow the Base >damage >atmospherics>minor metallic highlight detailing then >mud approach to best effects.

Primaris lieutenant day. 8 hours of new models. All lieutenants. All day. 

2 x 40K days - hope they announce something other than even more space marines.
What are the chances of a new faction? 

Boxes games is probably just going to be loads of underworlds stuff, maybe 1 new BB team? Who’s left?

Amazon? Chorf? The weird Russian ones? High elf?

17 hours ago, And said:

Primaris lieutenant day. 8 hours of new models. All lieutenants. All day. 

2 x 40K days - hope they announce something other than even more space marines.
What are the chances of a new faction? 

Boxes games is probably just going to be loads of underworlds stuff, maybe 1 new BB team? Who’s left?

Amazon? Chorf? The weird Russian ones? High elf?

It might be the first glimpse of the next underworlds "season", but with the new generic starter set and the universal card set that won't expire, they might be moving away from the fixed season model to something more flexible - at least as regards starter sets.

Personally I've got my fingers crossed that we'll see something for Aeronautica (and that it's the Eldar). Of the ranges that are currently "live", AI has gone the longest without a release (nothing since the Tau and second-wave imperials came out last summer).

"Boxed Games" also covers Necromunda, WarCry, Titanicus, Kill Team, but those have all had big releases recently.

For the 8th, I do find myself hoping that the rumoured Heresy relaunch (hashtagcode30!) is true. but first glimpse of The Old World is also a good shout. It may also be a second Sigmar day to announce AOS 3rd ed, but I think the timing's wrong (you'd lead AOS announcements with it, not add it at the end).

This seems like a good place to ask, what sort of plastic cement do people use?  There’s so much choice out there, do I want the thin variety?  Since getting back into the hobby I’ve used superglue on everything as my memories of plastic cement from back in the day is it getting everywhere & leaving finger prints on things.

The citadel plastic glue stuff is good. I find superglue means I end up with everything stuck to me or the table. 

For a long time, my preferred glue was the revell contacta that came in bottles with a needle applicator. Nice and precise, but the problem was that the needle would clog even with a lid on it and I’d be hunting round for something to unclog it. A couple of years ago I started using Tamiya extra thin and it’s amazing. The usage is very different. You basically hold the model together unglued and then brush the glue over the gap- into which it magically flows because it’s so thin. The only downside is that the supplied brush is too short to reach all the way down into the bottle so as it starts to run out it becomes a pain to use. 

On 01/05/2021 at 11:44, The Bag said:

This seems like a good place to ask, what sort of plastic cement do people use?  There’s so much choice out there, do I want the thin variety?  Since getting back into the hobby I’ve used superglue on everything as my memories of plastic cement from back in the day is it getting everywhere & leaving finger prints on things.

Tamiya extra thin all day long! The brush applicator is perfect and the cement runs into tiny gaps through capillary action. 

Superglue acts totally differently to plastic cement, which actually melts the plastic to create a permanent bond. I only use superglue if I want to snap parts apart again later, as the bond is quite brittle (for example gluing a mini to a temporary base or handle)

16 hours ago, RFT said:

but the problem was that the needle would clog even with a lid on it and I’d be hunting round for something to unclog it. 

In my experience of building up Blood Bowl and Cursed City, this happens with the Citadel glue also. It's quite annoying because that stuff ain't cheap.

16 hours ago, RFT said:

For a long time, my preferred glue was the revell contacta that came in bottles with a needle applicator. Nice and precise, but the problem was that the needle would clog even with a lid on it and I’d be hunting round for something to unclog it.

Guy in the model shop showed me how to fix this.

Super simple: Light a match and hold it to the tube. That will burn away the blockage.

15 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Tamiya extra thin all day long! The brush applicator is perfect and the cement runs into tiny gaps through capillary action. 

Good thing about Tamiya is you can use it to melt bits of left over sprue and then use that to fill seems. It dries / reforms to it's original plastic's consistency and so can be sanded back if needed.

I'm sure other products will do the same thing but I know the Tamiya has worked for me in the past.

38 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

In my experience of building up Blood Bowl and Cursed City, this happens with the Citadel glue also. It's quite annoying because that stuff ain't cheap.

Just pull the nozzle out and stick it back in the other way round and let the blockage dissolve. 

That's the best top tip since one of my favourites from Viz -

Boil an egg to perfection without costly egg timers by popping it into boiling water and driving away from your home at exactly 60mph. After three miles, phone your wife to take the egg out the pan.

46 minutes ago, And said:

Just pull the nozzle out and stick it back in the other way round and let the blockage dissolve. 

Also balance it up on end, leaning against something. Casually, with sunglasses. 

hands down Tamiya Extra thin OR Mr Cement S. dont waste time on anything else. Needles are rubbish. anything where you need to stop what you're doing find a lighter, try clear the nozzle or fuck about is just extra hassle. You want a brush so you know exactly how much glue is being used not just try to imagine how much is coming through the needle. Theres a reason why scale modellers pretty much all use one of Mr Cement S or Tamiya Extra thin, it handles very fine parts to huuge panels with ease. You dont really want a medium or gloopy poly cement because it sits on the plastic etching away at the plastic for longer. you want just enough to destabilise the plastic, so it bonds withitself anything that doesnt really evaporate off quickly is a bit shit in comparison

19 hours ago, RFT said:

The only downside is that the supplied brush is too short to reach all the way down into the bottle so as it starts to run out it becomes a pain to use. 

the end of the brush comes out and you can extend it ;)

19 hours ago, Nicky said:

hands down Tamiya Extra thin OR Mr Cement S. dont waste time on anything else. Needles are rubbish. anything where you need to stop what you're doing find a lighter, try clear the nozzle or fuck about is just extra hassle. You want a brush so you know exactly how much glue is being used not just try to imagine how much is coming through the needle. Theres a reason why scale modellers pretty much all use one of Mr Cement S or Tamiya Extra thin, it handles very fine parts to huuge panels with ease. You dont really want a medium or gloopy poly cement because it sits on the plastic etching away at the plastic for longer. you want just enough to destabilise the plastic, so it bonds withitself anything that doesnt really evaporate off quickly is a bit shit in comparison

I went for some Mr Cement SP, which is S but faster drying according to the description.  Also the one that would get to me the fastest.

11 hours ago, The Hierophant said:

Just heard Richard Halliwell died yesterday. He was one of the leading designers from the early days. Co-designed WHFB 1st edition. 

http://wiki.oldhammer.org.uk/v/Richard_Halliwell

:(

Very sad news. He used to come to my old wargames club in Newark back in the 80s on rare occasions. I had the privilege of playing games with him a couple of times. He was very encouraging to my teenage self and my mate. I think he may have introduced me to ASL. Memory fades. We all get old.

On 28/04/2021 at 09:46, RFT said:

Personally I've got my fingers crossed that we'll see something for Aeronautica (and that it's the Eldar). Of the ranges that are currently "live", AI has gone the longest without a release (nothing since the Tau and second-wave imperials came out last summer).

It’s not often that I hope for something in a GW announcement stream and get exactly what I wanted.

A0CFBE49-EA82-480E-8509-7597E0FD3BBF.jpeg

C85D2026-9CA1-4974-B07B-B3CA76570794.jpeg

Yep, thought that when it came up yesterday. Rest of that announcement was fairly underwhelming. That might end up getting bought though. 

So far the reveals have saved me some money as I’m not arsed about anything they’ve shown apart from that and the release of yet another supplement for ad mech has put me off buying the codex and some more units for my fledgling cyborg army and I’ll just build the DG stuff I have instead. 
I know GW are there to make money, but just put all the rules in one fucking place.

Two GW questions:

1) I'm guessing this is a new edition of Aeronautica Imperialis rather than a new game? I've been away for a long time on the GW front. Feels a bit like the old Epic game?

2) Are the Gaunt books worth a read?