Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

40 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Skeleton Horde is great for painting...well, skeletons.

The main issue with them in my limited experience is that you can't simply touch any mistakes up. It's not really a huge deal, but obviously you need to reapply the base colour first. So it's best if you can very neatly and clearly delineate the area on which you're going to apply contrast paint. 

I keep meaning to try some over metallic paint...

Yeah, i do it pretty much last because as you say, it's a pain to rectify any mistakes.

February Painting Challenge

Did you know the birth flower of February is violet? 

This month's challenge is to pick an infantry model for any Games Workshop game and use the following colors as a theme:

image.png.ba87a992ff89929a981991934bdcd50f.png

Entries should be complete by 24th February to allow time for the group to vote on the winner! 

6 hours ago, martingee said:

Yeah, i do it pretty much last because as you say, it's a pain to rectify any mistakes.

It's why I prefer oil paints for glazes and washes, so much time to manipulate the paint after you've put it down.

5 hours ago, Oracle said:

February Painting Challenge

Did you know the birth flower of February is violet? 

This month's challenge is to pick an infantry model for any Games Workshop game and use the following colors as a theme:

image.png.ba87a992ff89929a981991934bdcd50f.png

Entries should be complete by 24th February to allow time for the group to vote on the winner! 

Those are all my least favorite colors

you son of a bitch, I’m in

I just realized I have only 3 more death guard models to paint (PBC, Rhino and the new lord of virulence) and a bunch of basing to do!

Takes my force to 

• 3 Plagueburst Crawler'
  • 3 Foetid Bloat Drones
  • 4 Myphitic blight haulers
  • 20 plague marines
  • 30 pox walkers
  • 8 Blight lord terminators
  • 5 Deathshroud
  • 2 plague casters
  • 2 noxious blight bringers
  • 1 foul blightspawn
  • 1  biologus putrifier
  • 1 demon prince of nurgle
  • Typhus
  • Mortarian
  • Deredao dreadnaught

I was thinking of a banshee but I started last night and it already looks unsalvageably shit, so the list is now either a librarian or a stormcast wizard. Didn’t think of necrons and we’ve got dozens of those need painting but they’re going to be green I think. 
Arw you setting up a thread for the entries?

Since I'm stuck at my parents' for the foreseeable future thanks to Covid (came up at the start of december between lockdowns, but live on my own and had seen fuck all people for 9 months) I've raided the back of a cupboard here and found a metal Swooping Hawk exarch I badly primed ~25 years ago so that.  Fuck knows how much time I'll get to paint in the next few weeks though.

Talking of which, I just primed these and was struck by how much better the sculpts are than some of the other Stormcast:

F99730B5-EC60-45EE-AD41-5477CA5A9E96.thumb.jpeg.b82ff80078a36d16927baf01e957814a.jpeg

These seem to be some sort of forest ranger type guys, so I’m going to try and take the colour scheme in a more earthy/natural direction

They're the Farstriders, which were originally an Underworlds warband before they were released as a standalone unit. All of the Underworlds stuff is super characterful and I genuinely think some of GW's best sculpts are in there.

On 03/02/2021 at 01:59, Oracle said:

So what model has everyone chosen for the challenge?

I’m using a necron warrior. 

The only spare models I have left are 1x Stormcast and 1x push-fit Space Marine. Think I'm going to sculpt with some greenstuff and have him holding a bouquet of flowers :lol: