Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

2 hours ago, Nicky said:

id apply but they'd not let me play with my enamels or oils or drink beer while painting :P

Citadel acrylics only? Sad times

i spent 6 hours just now sculpting beards, manes, and fur cloaks onto my Assault Intercessors. I’ve gone blind but they look really fucking good. The pelts could be a little better but what are you gonna do

Spoiler

practice

12 hours ago, Oracle said:

If the JD was enthusiastic shite player who can string words together I'd be in with s chance. 

9 hours ago, And said:

I’d apply but I’m shite. 

You're totally underselling yourselves. Take a shot at it, what's the worst that can happen?

10 hours ago, Nicky said:

id apply but they'd not let me play with my enamels or oils or drink beer while painting :P

True, but when you're back in the office you can clock off straight to Bugmans.

I miss Bugmans.

On 28/01/2021 at 08:07, Pelekophoros said:

You're totally underselling yourselves. Take a shit at it, what's the worst that can happen?

I’d end up with an enjoyable but relatively low paid* job 150 miles from my house. 

*I mean no offence but I can’t see mini painter paying the same sort of money as accountant with 20 years experience. I’m generally too old and too trapped by my career to change at this point. That’s not a poor me, it’s just what it is. 

I’m well aware I’m nowhere near good enough to do this as a job, which I’m totally fine with. I’m getting enough about of it for the time and effort put in. I’m sure I could improve if I spent more time watching videos and working hard. But I’m not sure I have the extra time to commit to that.   

And to be honest I’m not sure I’d want to do this as my job, it’s my hobby, I do it for fun. Which is why I have like 6 different half finished projects of various sizes on the go. 
If it just was work it would end up being a drudge. 

Those are all very sensible and exceptionally good reasons to not go for it. No need to worry about offence - these aren't my jobs I suspect you're right on salary. I withdrew from an application here years before I landed this job because of exactly that. Gotta pay the bills!

Doing stuff you love as a job is definitely a change. I did that with writing a good while back. It sucked all of the enjoyment out of it.

(I have also fixed my typo)

as much as I fantasise about doing something exciting as a job, in reality I’m really good at this one even if I find it dull. 

Its the old case of

Interesting job,

good pay,

work/ life balance,

- pick 2.

I’m now on the last 2 after a long time working towards it, so it would be silly to Chuck it all in. Let me know if any financial reporting roles open up (that can be done remotely. ;))

In other news:

2 cloaks down, 20 to go.

58E2F83F-A1CA-4808-AC9E-FEF669616B3D.thumb.jpeg.ef4ba4f92103e1fbab51448538cde722.jpeg

(needs basing)

And junior:

9AF5F014-D12A-4928-A530-EED5AE4FA475.thumb.jpeg.e6ba705c093424882b8ddaf09eaed40a.jpeg

I like that midnight blue a lot. Great work. 

I'd apply for the Eavy Metal job, but I think the eight-hour round trip commute from Cardiff to Nottingham might be a bit of a stretch. I can't do the presenting job as I'm too ugly for YouTube.

Thanks @feltmonkey, we’re all beautiful in our own way, and given that Chris Peach is the face of citadel painting at the moment it’s apparently not a barrier. 

Maybe you could do the army painter role remotely? You’d be ace at it. 

Thanks man. 

The brass bits are just screaming bell with a purple ink wash and a gold highlight. 

the red staff is the red contrast paint over the highlighted steel metal colour. 

19 hours ago, Captain Novaforce said:

How are you doing your Teal? I might nick that for my unpainted admech

stegadon scale green base. Ceolia green shade. Then layer up with steg, then sotek green, then temple guard blue, then temple guard blue plus a bit of white in. Basically the citadel method. 

looks really good (imho) with white transfers. The tanks a couple of pages back are basically the same method but with the fang as the base as I had a spray can of that hanging around. 

11 hours ago, Floshenbarnical said:

Can't wait to show you guys my bearded, screaming space marine leaping through the air with a power sword while his cloak ripples behind him. i feel like a giant baby. i forgot how much i loved this hobby

I need to strip a couple of areas and repaint after my airbrush had a funny turn and trim a mold line or two I missed :rolleyes: the aim is to have him leaping off a rock pitched forwards slightly so it looks like he’s about to impale some xeno from above. The wolf shoulder pad was from spellcrow, backpack is from shapeways, sword is OEM but I trimmed the guard to be more Nordic

7F218EF7-F41A-4BB6-981D-2946E4E6F8E7.jpeg

674E1903-FA9B-4B03-B9A2-F0D9346A55E4.jpeg

D080751A-2460-41B3-84DE-696D7A8F5D9B.png

C9F63293-B7A3-4E96-9B20-EAFF1CB41281.jpeg

@Pelekophoros

Looking good. from my experience of about 30 contrast space wolf coloured marines (I’m on my second pot) they look best if you go over the dark bits where the contrast has pooled with fenrisian grey, and do highlights in a 50/50 of that and white.  

44 minutes ago, And said:

@Pelekophoros

Looking good. from my experience of about 30 contrast space wolf coloured marines (I’m on my second pot) they look best if you go over the dark bits where the contrast has pooled with fenrisian grey, and do highlights in a 50/50 of that and white.  

Cheers buddy, appreciate that tip. I've only got 6 of these, and one more, that I'll do in Contrast, so I'm happy calling them done.

My main goal is to go at pace, with the aim being to become better at painting faster. I know I can much better results, but it's at a pace of one mini every 3 months. It's sapping all the joy out of it.

So...take the dopamine hit of getting things done, and learn with every batch, rather than trying painstakingly to get every batch as good as it could be.

These have taught me a simple thing; I don't want to do a large force in contrast :D

Totally understand - a lot of my painted minis are done to a standard that I’m happy with for the time invested but if I dedicated the time to getting each done to the best of my ability I’ll be approximately 134 years old before I’ve finished my army. 

I quite like the contrast for quick army stuff - these guys for example - less than 30 mins per model so far but meet the 3 colour minimum and I could put them on a table for a game. They’ll get a couple of dry brushes and some details and they’ll be done. Boom. Next. They might never see play so I’m not going to spend a lot of time on them

image.jpg

They are really good if you’re painting something with loads of texture, like fur or scales or hair. And I like the black for quick metal. For flat surfaces it’s less good. 

Skeleton Horde is great for painting...well, skeletons.

The main issue with them in my limited experience is that you can't simply touch any mistakes up. It's not really a huge deal, but obviously you need to reapply the base colour first. So it's best if you can very neatly and clearly delineate the area on which you're going to apply contrast paint. 

I keep meaning to try some over metallic paint...

16 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Skeleton Horde is great for painting...well, skeletons.

The main issue with them in my limited experience is that you can't simply touch any mistakes up. It's not really a huge deal, but obviously you need to reapply the base colour first. So it's best if you can very neatly and clearly delineate the area on which you're going to apply contrast paint. 

I keep meaning to try some over metallic paint...

It’s a different way of painting, managing the surface tension and not relying on being able to cover the joins with agrax. 

skeleton horde is one of my favourites as it’s not just good for bone, but bandages, parchment, stone, loads of fiddly detail bits. 
it’s also really good over metal for burn effects if you go blue to purple to sepia from front to back say.