Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Reaching the end of the current commission (which is lovely), and have been painting up the new(ish) Inquisitor Draxus figure. It's painting itself to a large extent, as opposed to the finger breaking dexterity I was doing to stick some of the bits together...

Not a good picture, but you'll get the gist...

inquisitorwip2.jpg.6ecdc3c3c6b0be95d09f19e8d446b1d1.jpg

Just need to work out the colour for the bird/dragon thing...

11 minutes ago, And said:

@JoeKamazing stuff, do you use a airbrush? How you do this ?

No airbrush. Ever.

I have one somewhere, but I loathe them with a passion :P

How do I do it? Steady hand, fluid paint and years of doing it I guess. I have no illusions about my skill levels...I’m decent enough but I’m the definition of ‘journeyman’! 

8 hours ago, And said:

You do yourself a disservice, sir

5 hours ago, Nicky said:

journeyman my arse

Thank you :)

Although I do think journeyman is a pretty accurate term for me :) . Nothing wrong with being one :D 

That photo is a bit dark, might try for a better lit one. 
I bought him off eBay (I’m not paying £25 for one terminators sized model!) and the seller had built it and done that base, it actually doesn’t make much sense when you put it together as his foot is on some rubble with a pipe coming out of it which is now sat on top of a metal deck plate. 

But then I’m applying common sense to my small plastic space man who’s supposed to be over 10,000 years old and host to the destroyer hive, nurgle’s favoured champion and the universes mankiest mortal. 

5 hours ago, Captain Novaforce said:

@Andare you going to end up with another Death Guard army? Didn't you just sell one?

Yep. Well. About a year ago. 
They hadn’t been out of their boxes in like 6 months so I got rid. 

I sold 80 odd models including mortarion, loads of characters and elites (including typhus) several squads of infantry, a demon prince, 6 tanks, 3 bloatdrones and 2 rhinos. Was about 4,000 points worth. Kind of had to sell it all as a bundle as while there’s a lot of interest in the viable us, nobody wants to buy crap characters or vehicles that’s don’t see play. Kind of wish I’d kept mortarion as that’s the best thing I’ve ever painted but he was the selling point. The guy that bought them was delighted with them though, which was really nice. 

I kept a bunch of plague marines to play kill team with. And a couple of other bits that were proxies or conversions. 

And then, I realised I had enough to make 2 squads for 40K and some plague zombies and 2 models that would do as HQ’s and so that’s a patrol detachment and then I bought a few more bits and now have accidentally got like 1500 points worth of death guard again. 
Please send help. 

Spoiler

Actually it's 1,401 points, 70 power

HQ

Chaos Lord [5 PL, 90pts]

Daemon Prince of Nurgle [8 PL, 165pts]

Lord of Contagion [6 PL, 120pts]

Troops

Plague Marines [6 PL, 130pts]

Plague Marines [8 PL, 166pts]

Poxwalkers [3 PL, 70pts]

Elites

Foul Blightspawn 

Helbrute

Fast Attack

Foetid Bloat-drone 

Heavy Support

Chaos Land Raider [15 PL, -2CP, 290pts]

Though I love painting the dg models, they’re so much more interesting (and easier) than primaris marines (yawn).

I have over 3,500 points of primaris at the moment, at last count i had at least 10 HQ units! which is Dark imperium, Shadowspear, indomitus and the new cheap starter box plus a tank and a dreadnaught. 

Then there's also loads of necrons to paint with the boy and we'll probably need a few more units with that to make it viable. 

Then there's the ad mech - knight army which is kind of dead in the water at the mo, due to not really being able to play games big enough to warrant a thousand points of knights and armiger and enough admech to make it worth playing.  
So 4 armies. 4 isn't too bad, is it?  (narrators voice: it is)

Latest Mortal Realms magazine came with Crawlocke the Jailor, and two Spirit Torments.

These come with a choice of heads (three in the case of Crawlocke), so I think I’m gonna try and use some magnets so I can swap them. Have any of you guys done this? I’ve seen people do it in YouTube vids with Space Marines - should be simple enough, right?

I’ve magnetised weapons on big stuff like a tank and a knight so you can swap load outs. But in practice it’s well fiddly and I just wouldn’t arse for a cosmetic choice. 

last time I ended up with a magnet glued to me, and the table. 

My advice would be - Pick whichever looks coolest and paint it.
Stick the leftover bits in a box and in a while you’ll have a bit box full of random heads, limbs and weapons which are well handy when customising / kitbashing models. 

if you do go ahead you’ll need a pin vice drill and some bits, some small neodymium magnets, some pliers, superglue, green stuff and lots of patience. 

Same as And, I've only ever done Knight weapons and recently did my Helbrute so I could swap out his arms. Magnesting a head might be fine but when you start getting to small magnets it doesn't take much to knock them off even if they're aligned properly. I've seen people do bolters and small arms and whilst I can understand it, the result seemed a little flimsy still.

1 hour ago, And said:

I’ve magnetised weapons on big stuff like a tank and a knight so you can swap load outs. But in practice it’s well fiddly and I just wouldn’t arse for a cosmetic choice. 

last time I ended up with a magnet glued to me, and the table. 

My advice would be - Pick whichever looks coolest and paint it.
Stick the leftover bits in a box and in a while you’ll have a bit box full of random heads, limbs and weapons which are well handy when customising / kitbashing models. 

if you do go ahead you’ll need a pin vice drill and some bits, some small neodymium magnets, some pliers, superglue, green stuff and lots of patience. 

I can't decide though, they all look cool!

I think I can pull it off - I have a pin vice, and I've ordered some tiny magnets. The connection point on the main guy is a flat circle on another flat circle, with a metal collar surround, so I might even just be able to sand a bit off the neck and still have it sitting at the correct height.

1.thumb.jpg.7b059ed3cc2078261324a4be60fd8068.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.f910ebaaf74bfb3336b859d3bec7e989.jpg

The other two are like this, and the head just pops in and stays there under tension, so I doubt I'll even need a magnet.

3.thumb.jpg.09c29103ee9ceb1ac1373d78efc873e6.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.a7c878ce69e68cdda1199b8f2fd4e0b2.jpg

If it doesn't work they can still go in the (ever growing) spares box.

As an aside, I had a bottle of Vallejo Air Gunmetal which I ordered by mistake ages ago (I don't have an air brush). I'm finding the coverage and flow much, much better than Leadbelcher. It's darker, but that's ok as I'll be highlighting anyway. Makes me wonder if Airbrush paints are a good bet generally for brush work...

16 minutes ago, And said:

Well, good luck with it then. 
Don’t be afraid to water down the GW paints on your wet palette - my leadbelcher is like sludge but flows nicely when thinned.  

Oh, I do - but even so I found the Vallejo flowed more nicely. I mainly just wondered if using airbrush paint with a brush was a thing?

also dont be under the impression that an airbrush paint being thinner means it las less pigment in it. I've argued this case in futility to idiots in the past. Paints are designed to be a certain thickness. airbrush paints mean you can thin down your paint to be a really flowing state without the loss of pigmentation that a thicker paint of the identical colour can. it can be advantageous to have both heavier body and airbrush ready paints of the same colour ranges (vallejo model colour and model air) i mostly paint with airbrush paints but your personal milage may vary depending on your paint style. its nice to have a heavier body on a wet pallete else you get runny paint mixing everywhere for example.

6 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Well that was a piece of cake!

I think one would need to pick and choose which model and/or appendage you used this on - but for this particular model it worked great, and was pretty easy. Took 5 minutes with a pin vice and some Superglue

I was clearly too late to this conversation but I am glad you did it.

I was a bit intimidated by magnetising stuff for my Adeptus Titanicus stuff, but I am so glad that I did.

Key things I learned were:

-Teeny tiny magnets, the same width as my drill bits do not need glue. They fit so snug.

-Be careful and consistent with your magnet polarity, so you can do swaps.

-Do it! Plastic is a lot easier to work than you might think.

I have Crowlocke in the pile of shame. When I get to him I will follow you example.

@Oracle

sorry. 

I can’t speak for the new version, but I’d expect it’s very similar. 
It’s quite a straightforward game but with a lot of depth. 

the basic rules are easy enough. Each team has 11 players on the pitch. Each player can move and carry out actions. Certain actions if they are failed cause a turnover and

it’s the next persons go. 
you get 8 turns per half. 

the main difficulty is that the game absolutely hates you and you will roll a 1 when you need anything else. 

so you need to play in a way that either minimises the number of rolls you have to make or stack the dice in your favour. So there’s a lot of focus on positioning and sequencing to get your turns right. 

it’s brilliant and easily my favourite GW game. 

The box is brilliant value, there’s umpteen other teams to get and they’re nearly all brilliant sculpts. 

Cracking on. Did edge highlights but the green dried to close to the original. Still a ways to go yet with detailing and what not. It doesn't help I can't seem to sit more than an hour at a time without getting bored, then going back to it a couple of hours later but only in a sunday. Idiot fucking brain.

EndXDGqXIAERLMw.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...