Jump to content

Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread


Recommended Posts

Well, I’m not normally one to be a corporate fanboy but I generally like GW.
But I’m in the privileged position of being a Middle Aged man who can afford as many small plastic space men as I want. 
 

compared to my other hobbies of record collecting or mountain biking it’s quite cheap, and in one instance much safer. 

 

I don’t see how you could hate GW, they sell toys. If you don’t want to pay their prices then go elsewhere. Same as anything. See also people complaining about prices of apple stuff. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

GW are a curious beast because they're absolute doing the corporate domination of a market thing yet somehow manage to garner the small British Business sympathy vote. 

 

Personally I like their shit so they get a pass most of the time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah but look at it this way - unless you're crazy you'll only ever buy one Typhus. Yes it uses a fraction of the sprue machining ue to its smaller sprues, but it requires the same manpower to operate, to set asside in maintenenece costs, materials and packaging etc etc. Troops have all these same costs applied but they'll evision that you may buy multiple boxes of plaguemarines, or maybe your list doesnt include Typhus etc. same for tanks.  multiple rhino's, plagueburst crawlers etc. It's why centerpiece models like the silent king is 95quid.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm. I’ve bought two typhus. (As first was sold with my old dg army)
 

That’s fair enough but still, it feels like bad value though. 1 guy about the size of a terminator vs a box of 10 models. Same for any character really but he’s stupid expensive even compared to the other similarly sized character models. Same goes for the £20 odd I spent on a techpriest. 
And you’re stuck as you need to buy HQ’s. you still can’t buy the death guard wizard - he came in the big box and that was it, same for the lord of contagion. You can get felthius and his buddies cheap though I guess. I bought typhus as he was cheap on eBay and will mainly use him as a chaos lord 
It’s only a minor grumble. And perversely I feel like spending a lot on a big model is better value. I didn’t begrudge the cost of mortarion or my knight. 


 

And yet at the same time in opposite world I could probably field a thousand points of nothing but primaris captains and lieutenants acquired from big boxes.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

Aw man these look great. I've nearly finished the beginning of my Slaanesh demons detachment for use with my chaos marines, and I had the thought to expand out to a Age of Sigmar mini army. New bloodbowl looks great too.

 

I really want the new edition of kill team however, I want to play 2 wound marines.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

New blood bowl is a nope for me. I’ve already got loads of teams and everything in that box that isn’t a team. Rule book better be available to buy separately otherwise we’ll just keep playing the old version. 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So much good stuff from the preview. I'm gonna hold out though, as much as I want BB, because I really want to focus on making a dent into what I've got already.

 

Should have best part of 100 LotR gobbos done to an entirely shit standard in the next couple of weeks, but done. First time I've done an army, a horde army or rank and file.

 

Once they're done, gonna finish up a couple of WIP bits then make a dent in my Space Wolves. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Building the Mega gargant and theres one or two small issues i have. Not with the kit itself, the parts go together perfectly since its all digital sculpts, but with some design choices. I know GW is well on board with the monopose kits with options, however it's no easy task to do a headswap which is a real shame. - You CAN do the a head and neck swap but that means the Kraken Eater with his great shark jaw necklace cant have the Warstomper head. another thing thats less well thought out is the weapon loadouts.

 

Kraken Eater

L - amazing bag of bodies

R - cannon club*

Warstomper

L - Open

R - Big Club*

Gatebreaker(they should have called this a Gatecrasher)

L - pillar flail

R - human in fist

 

The downside of these loadouts are - because the Warstomper is Right handed and the other two Left with regards to main weapon that you cant have interesting offhand alternate options.

 

I am building the Warstomper. I have realised that the upper side of the cub for the Warstomper and the Kraken Eater can be swapped But the isue is that the left open hand of the warstomper cant have the bag of bodies or the human in fist options becuase they're on the opposite side.

 

This leaves me with a question - as i don't play and am basically a display painter, do i say fuck it and have my gargant with a club in one hand and the giant broken pillar flail in the other? is this going to be too much?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pelekophoros said:

 

November. 

Hi, could you be a darling and delay the release a couple of months, please? I'm already buying a PS5 and 30xx graphics card that month.  Cheers.

 

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nicky said:

Building the Mega gargant and theres one or two small issues i have. Not with the kit itself, the parts go together perfectly since its all digital sculpts, but with some design choices. I know GW is well on board with the monopose kits with options, however it's no easy task to do a headswap which is a real shame. - You CAN do the a head and neck swap but that means the Kraken Eater with his great shark jaw necklace cant have the Warstomper head. another thing thats less well thought out is the weapon loadouts.

 

Kraken Eater

L - amazing bag of bodies

R - cannon club*

Warstomper

L - Open

R - Big Club*

Gatebreaker(they should have called this a Gatecrasher)

L - pillar flail

R - human in fist

 

The downside of these loadouts are - because the Warstomper is Right handed and the other two Left with regards to main weapon that you cant have interesting offhand alternate options.

 

I am building the Warstomper. I have realised that the upper side of the cub for the Warstomper and the Kraken Eater can be swapped But the isue is that the left open hand of the warstomper cant have the bag of bodies or the human in fist options becuase they're on the opposite side.

 

This leaves me with a question - as i don't play and am basically a display painter, do i say fuck it and have my gargant with a club in one hand and the giant broken pillar flail in the other? is this going to be too much?

 

The Warhammer Community guys posted up some staff conversions. I think it's fair to say you do whatever is cool.

 

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/10/16/weve-been-painting-mega-gargants/

 

28 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

Hi, could you be a darling and delay the release a couple of months, please? I'm already buying a PS5 and 30xx graphics card that month.  Cheers.

 

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

 

But what are you going to do when you're not video gaming?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Fifth Blood Angel nearly finished...

 

bloodangelstandardwip2.thumb.jpg.43587f89cd25b4252068e547f14c6cd2.jpg

 

Another three more from the set to do and then I have the dubious pleasure of painting up Ragnar Blackmane. I'm not a huge fan of that particular figure, so we'll see what happens as and when I get to it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/10/2020 at 17:20, And said:

New blood bowl is a nope for me. I’ve already got loads of teams and everything in that box that isn’t a team. Rule book better be available to buy separately otherwise we’ll just keep playing the old version. 
 

 

I have a feeling, looking at the contents of box (2 new-mould teams, 2 big guys, 2 star players, 2 referees, Rules, pitch,. dugouts, dice, templates, etc) that it's an "indomitus" style release, possibly limited, where they throw everything into one expensive box up front but there's also going to be separate  releases down the line at various points. The 40k 9th ed core book came out alongside the indomitus box, IIRC.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah they’d be mad not to put the rules out separately. But at the end of the day there’s the old rules if they don’t. 
Aside from the book ive got everything in that box bar the new teams and refs. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

What’s Underworlds like as a game?

 

I bought some figures for my daughter recently (purely for building and painting) - a 4-pack if these neat looking tree warrior things with little familiars. And the pack came with two packs of cards. 
 

We bought Kill Team a couple of years ago, and while we loved the scenery and all that, the (supposedly simplified) game was a pain in the arse to play, at least with kids. Rolling to shoot, then to hit, then to defend, then to see if you’d taken damage, or whatever. 
 

A quick google and it’s on a hexagonal board. Is it anything like Unmatched? We love that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s a great game. It’s designed as a competitive game but it’s also fun in more casual play.

 

It can get complex with card combos but it’s easy enough to control if playing in a family setting

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Twinbee said:

What’s Underworlds like as a game?

 

I bought some figures for my daughter recently (purely for building and painting) - a 4-pack if these neat looking tree warrior things with little familiars. And the pack came with two packs of cards. 
 

We bought Kill Team a couple of years ago, and while we loved the scenery and all that, the (supposedly simplified) game was a pain in the arse to play, at least with kids. Rolling to shoot, then to hit, then to defend, then to see if you’d taken damage, or whatever. 
 

A quick google and it’s on a hexagonal board. Is it anything like Unmatched? We love that. 

 

I've got a core set of Shadespire I don't want if you're after a cheap entry into it.  Played once but it'll never hit the table again.  Nothing wrong with it but there's so much other stuff my gaming chum and I prefer to play. Might as well be with someone that'll use it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

 

I've got a core set of Shadespire I don't want if you're after a cheap entry into it.  Played once but it'll never hit the table again.  Nothing wrong with it but there's so much other stuff my gaming chum and I prefer to play. Might as well be with someone that'll use it.

Thank you, that’s kind, but realistically I don’t think we’ll get time to play it this side of Xmas anyway. 
 

We’ve got Horrified, Escape the Dark Sector and Unmatched all vying for limited time right now, and I’ve got my son Bargain Quest for Xmas. 
 

Though I may come knocking in the new year to see if it’s still on your shelf :-)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.