Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

get a tupperware container, put your models in the tub, gloop the stuff on top, and brush it into the crannies. its not TOO toxic tbh, it smells of dr pepper. you can be quite liberal and leave it for a few hours, dab an old brush into it so the active agent gets throug hthe paint and leave it for a few more hours see how you get on.

I spent a good chunk of yesterday with painting videos on in the background, learning stuff and techniques and whatnot. A major error I make is blocking in everything first and then doing washes and drybrushing rather than doing each individually in an order that means I don't fuck up a bit I've done already.

The other major thing I learned is that youtube mini painters are incredibly unimaginative in their colour choices.

6 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

The other major thing I learned is that youtube mini painters are incredibly unimaginative in their colour choices.

you obviously haven’t encountered Craftworld Studios, you want colour they’ve got it.

I've seen one or two who were 'outside the box' but everyone else seems to stick to the tried and true. I get it, far be it from me to judge folks for what they do, it just gets a bit boring seeing the same figures painted in the same colours.

Just googled Craftworld and yeah, that's more like it.

On 02/09/2020 at 08:39, moosegrinder said:

I spent a good chunk of yesterday with painting videos on in the background, learning stuff and techniques and whatnot. A major error I make is blocking in everything first and then doing washes and drybrushing rather than doing each individually in an order that means I don't fuck up a bit I've done already.

Wait til you paint your best ever face then smear a brushful of mephiston red over it when you go to base coat the next bit :lol:

I don't often drybrush so I always forget to do this before I start painting whatever is beside it, which can be tricky. Other than that I don't generally pay much attention to the order.

You know what? I really love that. It's like with illustration, I much prefer what some people might think is a scruffier style, but I love to see the brushmarks and energy that went into something than that perfect super clean look.

4 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

You know what? I really love that. It's like with illustration, I much prefer what some people might think is a scruffier style, but I love to see the brushmarks and energy that went into something than that perfect super clean look.

Thank you very much 

New Death Guard codex November or December as well. There were a couple of other models in the DG screenshot that suggest a 40k version of the Feculent Gnarlmaw as well, a sort of Plague Furnace as it's been dubbed.

I played a game with my knight. It got smooshed to death turn 2. 

We’re still playing at 50 power/1000 point size but as an experiment I made a list with a knight, 2 armigers and some skitaari. 
playing against necrons. I thought I’d just chew through his units. 
What I didn’t recon with was his skorpekh destroyers and lord. Getting whacked by a guy who hits on 2’s, does 3 damage per hit with -4 AP meaning you can’t save takes a knight down pretty quickly. oh and he has a 4+ invulnerable save so shrugs off massive damage attacks. 

It’s all learning curve I guess as we’re both beginners still. but it’s really demoralising to just get shit on by an unkillable unit. Sometimes it feels like a game of stone / scissors / paper and he just accidentally had a unit that could do the work this game, he just ran from one unit to the next murdering them with unblockable punches. 

Last time we played I minced this list with marines, might need to just stick to one faction to try and get good before diversifying. 

Tl;dr : salt

No, as that only helps invulnerable saves, which is only for defence against ranged weapons. Nothing helps being whacked in the shin by an angry Necron Lord with a -4ap weapon.

Normal save is 3+ so it’s unblockable. 

If I play as Taranis that gives me a 6+++ on wounds and if I take Armour of the sainted Ion that gives a regular save of 2+ So would be able to attempt to save those hits. 
It’s still too risky in a 50 power game to have 45% of your army as one model. 
Also skitaari are rubbish. 

I bought the knight and armigers when 8 really suited them. Seems to have gone a bit rubbish in 9. There’s deffo an argument for a combined ad mech And knight codex 

My mate, he’s quite the win at all costs type and spends ages researching what bullshit rules he can exploit the most but to be fair to him he’d done his homework while I just tried to wing it, missed a few strategems that would have helped and totally forgot the canticles for my skits. 

2 factions at once is too much for my poor brain and trying to play using the GW app is a joke as the rules are in about 4 different bits of the app. 

Why they can’t put all the rules for each faction in together I don’t know, but having to chop between codex, engine war, etc is a massive faff and time sink. 

think I’ll go back to marines, last game I had Bladeguard and assault intercessors and played white scars so could just quit out of melee and charge in again. 
5 ass-ints do 2 attacks each plus 1 for chainsword, 1 for charging, then +1ap for the assault doctrine and at turn 3 onwards do 2 damage per hit. So that’s 21 hits at 4/-2/2 from turn 3. Which minces pretty much anything.