Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

1 hour ago, Captain Novaforce said:

Got bored during my lunch break so made a diorama of my Violators warband attacking an imperial position.

I'm 37 years old.

IMG_20200702_164745.jpg

Glorious. 

I’d happily pay £4 a month for the rules and points and if that meant I didn’t have to buy Chapter approved etc then cool. Not sure how the codexes will work for me given I can put together various sized forces for about 4 different games factions. So I need to buy the £25 book for each for the rules ?

That's definitely how it reads: £4 a month for what is effectively a poor version of battlescribe and £25 per army to turn it into merely adequate battlescribe (but still £4 a month and oh yeah psychic awakening II or the equivalent no doubt starts in 2021 so get ready for another £25 per book reckoning and new codexes are already confirmed).

I will happily admit I could be missing something. 

Teeny edit: best part of £50 a year as a starting point. 

10 hours ago, And said:

I’d happily pay £4 a month for the rules and points and if that meant I didn’t have to buy Chapter approved etc then cool. Not sure how the codexes will work for me given I can put together various sized forces for about 4 different games factions. So I need to buy the £25 book for each for the rules ?

Yes. Though on day one you'd have the rules for each of those games factions (and all of the others) as 8th edition rules updated with 9th edition amends.

As the 9th edition specific codexes get released, you'll need to buy the book to get a code to redeem in the app to give you access to their updated rules. The old 8th edition rules for that faction in the app will be retired and unavailable at that point.

£25 for a digital book is kind of ridiculous. I don't think they've quite got a handle on the digital future yet. They're charging £25 because they've always charged £25 but they would probably make more money at £10 because people would buy more books. 

2 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

£25 for a digital book is kind of ridiculous. I don't think they've quite got a handle on the digital future yet. They're charging £25 because they've always charged £25 but they would probably make more money at £10 because people would buy more books. 

This is a slightly separate thing, I think. The digital codexes (as in, ebook versions of the codexes, not the app) are cheaper than the physical versions.

In terms of the app and its interaction with codexes, you buy the physical book for the normal price and get a code in it to redeem within the app.

11 hours ago, Danno said:

And I expect action against Battlescribe before long. 

If they were going to (and thought they had a decent chance to make it stick), They would have done it ages ago, app or not - the conflict with digital and physical codex sales was already there.

The most I think they could do would be to ban lists generated from non-GW software at tournaments - forcing people playing at the big GW sponsored events like LVO, Adepticon, and the various ones based at WHW to create and submit lists via the app would probably be more effective than playing legal whack-a-mole with BS repositories.

45 minutes ago, Pelekophoros said:

This is a slightly separate thing, I think. The digital codexes (as in, ebook versions of the codexes, not the app) are cheaper than the physical versions.

In terms of the app and its interaction with codexes, you buy the physical book for the normal price and get a code in it to redeem within the app.

That's true, but I still think they're pricing them a touch too high.  Obviously there are costs involved in producing the books, and we don't have any idea of the true economics of the situation, but £20 for a digital book seems, from the point of view of the consumer, high.  If they were £10-£15, or if there was an option for a version that just had the rules in for £8.99 in the app or something, I'd be tempted to buy several.  For £20, I can't see myself buying any of them, especially on top of a subscription just to get the rules, which won't even change most months.  I think this is an unfortunate mis-step.  

7 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

That's true, but I still think they're pricing them a touch too high.  Obviously there are costs involved in producing the books, and we don't have any idea of the true economics of the situation, but £20 for a digital book seems, from the point of view of the consumer, high.  If they were £10-£15, or if there was an option for a version that just had the rules in for £8.99 in the app or something, I'd be tempted to buy several.  For £20, I can't see myself buying any of them, especially on top of a subscription just to get the rules, which won't even change most months.  I think this is an unfortunate mis-step.  

Unfortunately I can't really discuss this much more, because my speculation as a fan could be misconstrued as commentary on our business decisions. I think, however, looking at the 8th edition digital publications and linking that directly to the 9th edition app offering is mixing up different things.

id have much rather have seen a £6 a month thing with all the codex rules, game rule and suppliment rules in for all factions. If GW (and they obviously are) afraid of losing their Codex revenue stream, remodel the codexes as a "chapter tome" equivalance. Full of more lore and story, more artwork and pictures. Hell even throw in an exclusive model  with your codex purchase.  people would take them for them being awesome things for your army, plus get a model. If you're a tournament gamer, you may not care about all this and that's fine. but you do care about not having to buy a shit load of codexes so you can maximise your list and see what your opponents rules are - potentially legally, because you can bet this opens the gates for the end of Battlescribe.

Well. I can see me dipping a toe in to get the current codexes - I ‘need’ Marines, ad mech, knights for my soup army and to a lesser extent Death guard and chaos knights. 
will need to see how viable soup is with changes to detachments and CP - changes coming with me having just bought the models to support a mixed army of 2 battalions and a super heavy detachment. :angry:

how long I keep it depends on whether GW rush out slightly tweaked “new” codexes quickly or not, or if I ever actually play the game vs endlessly theory crafting lists in battlescribe 

Been trying to since 6:30 am. It finally went live at 10:12 as I got an email. 

I logged on at 10:20 at its already sold out. 

not sure what more I could have done, was refreshing the page every 5 minutes. 

real shame was getting it to get me back into 40k for the first time in 20 years. 

Now I can’t get it I probably won’t get back into 40k. 

don’t know why they made it so hard to buy. 

I was unavoidably detained until 10.45 ish. 
by then wayland had sold out - in between me adding to basket and checking out :angry:

GW, element, goblin - all sold out. Firestorm had stock so I’ve ordered. Had to pay full price!

Was that it? Or will there be a second run?

sounds like that's it for Indomitus HOWEVER the standard 40k box set should be with us in a month or two - probably cheaper and i'm guessing without the bikes or big necron thing. 

I managed to get the necron half and the rulebook with a friend who's splitting.

41 minutes ago, And said:

I was unavoidably detained until 10.45 ish. 
by then wayland had sold out - in between me adding to basket and checking out :angry:

GW, element, goblin - all sold out. Firestorm had stock so I’ve ordered. Had to pay full price!

Was that it? Or will there be a second run?

I thought it was supposed to be the new starter set, the 40K equivalent of Age of Sigmar - Soul Wars. So I was expecting it to be continuously available.

Or is it actually a limited edition?

34 minutes ago, Aluco said:

I thought it was supposed to be the new starter set, the 40K equivalent of Age of Sigmar - Soul Wars. So I was expecting it to be continuously available.

Or is it actually a limited edition?

Yep, though not a 'limited edition' in the...err...collectors sense as such. This is the launch set billed as being for existing players. It means it's got loads of models in it and the rulebook, but it doesn't have things like rulers, dice and a playmat.

4 hours ago, Captain Novaforce said:

Any of you caved in and bought Indomnitus?

I managed to get one but it was a struggle to navigate the constantly crashing pages. A few of my friends were not so lucky and got to payment but then told zero stock. Hopefully there is a second batch on the way.