Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

I don't know much about Warhammer, other than admiring the minatures over the years. There's some awesome paint jobs (especially @Cocky , holy crap) in here everyone, great stuff! I recently came across a video of someone painting an original 40k 2nd Edition set, which really tugged at the nostalgia strings for me. I love the simpler, brighter aesthetic from then too.

I would have thought that Games Workshop would have reissued or had these old versions readily available? But looking online and seeing ebay auction prices(!) I gather I'm very very wrong! Has there not been a call from the community over the years to have these older sets made available again?

They have put out limited re releases of some 2nd ed characters, but they were by and large more expensive than ebay.

I'm a member of a 2nd ed facebook buy sell swap groups and honestly hit those up. The community supports itself and the prices there are lower than ebay as people are just happy to keep the game going and aren't looking to make megabucks from sales.

13 minutes ago, Nicky said:

@erhgiez which part? There's also the part where they can eat the flesh of their victims and absorb their memories too i think. the bio enhancements of the space marines are largely fucking stupid.

It allowed the scouts in Ian Watson’s Space Marine to pilot a titan.  It’s been years since I read it, and most of it is non-canon now but it’s a good read.  It shows where we came from, but I also thought the look at the space marine as the lonely warrior monk was interesting - spending his free time in his cell, scrimshawing.

The spitting acid thing has been used a few times in a couple of books I've read recently. It's one of those things that they would use a lot more, given characters' propensity for wandering around with no helmet on, but would reduce all those dramatic hand to hand duels to spitting competitions.

I'm not allowed to talk about many things business related, but I will say that - as a human being - GW have done pretty much everything they could have done absolutely right during this pandemic for me and my colleagues. I already loved it here, but I love it here even more now 

8 minutes ago, Pelekophoros said:

I'm not allowed to talk about many things business related, but I will say that - as a human being - GW have done pretty much everything they could have done absolutely right during this pandemic for me and my colleagues. I already loved it here, but I love it here even more now 

Turns out my friends hubby works for GW HQ and she was saying they have been bloody wonderful during it all. 

2 hours ago, Danno said:

The new box set looks excellent. I don't collect either army but I'm definitely buying one. 

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/06/13/warhammer-40000-preview-whats-in-the-boxgw-homepage-post-1/

The factions bore me and seem to get too much special treatment.

I wont buy the box as itd be too much wastage that said i will be looking to get hold of:-

Spoiler

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

It's those Skeletons & Judicar looks so much like a male version of a Battle Sister <3

10 hours ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

Is that Rhino included too or is that just image art?

Start collecting is a squad of dudes, a hq and a Tank/transport. Plus another hq.
I’ve already got some skits for kill team so with this that’s enough for a battalion. The boss guys can fix my knights so it’s a good combo of fluff and crunch. 
knight itself is slowly progressing. 

CFF8BDFF-D55F-4564-9B03-92F36A5538D0.jpeg

@Danno

which side would you want though?

30 minutes ago, salsashark said:

spacer.pngspacer.pngLocal game shop had the Adepta Sororitas box set in stock and reduced, so I dipped my toes in. 

They're taking me absolutely ages. Why oh why did I go with Order of the Sacred Rose? Bloody white....

They are wonderful, wonderful models. Just building them and adding them to my backlog now. Order Of The Rose have by far the best colour scheme but, yes, you have to hate yourself a little bit to pick it.

4 hours ago, salsashark said:

spacer.pngspacer.pngLocal game shop had the Adepta Sororitas box set in stock and reduced, so I dipped my toes in. 

They're taking me absolutely ages. Why oh why did I go with Order of the Sacred Rose? Bloody white....

Lucky! I’ve been on the lookout for that. What price did you get it for?