rllmuk
Lorfarius

Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Progress on my current project, to stave of insanity.

Only blocking it in right now, still plenty to go on it.

pewpewplane.thumb.jpg.39f121c97d2cd0a492ca78b84fa3bc57.jpg

• Upvote 6

Part 5 of Astartes premiered last night.

Kind of goes of on a tangent but after his recent problems with the channel I'm not surprised it's a bit disjointed. Still awesome though.

Edit: Having watched it a few more times and reading a couple of YouTube comments(!) i can follow the story a bit better. It could have definitely done with a couple more establishing shots to give some context to the relationships of the protagonists.

• Upvote 1

Calling this one done. I've actually built all my other Aeronautica Imperialis stuff as well, so maybe I'll do more than this too.

IMG_20200405_194342.thumb.jpg.67c180d9b944cf54dd97911897dc9cdb.jpg

• Upvote 7

I have taking quite a fancy to having orks as my next army. I've probably got about 20 models of various DG unit to paint and probably the same again for Dark Angels (although as it's raven wing I may just get shot of the primaries stuff). 

That new ork boss in the latest box looks amazing. And also has me hankering after some orky fun

Spent most of the past week making minis. Blackstone Fortress and Killteam Rogue Trader are done, along with this pile of Space Marines (around 117 minis all in, excluding scenery from RT):

EVaIDSEWoAEWdfs.thumb.jpg.b4754f4f401ba6622adeb65d3d572499.jpg

Only got the beginnings of a GSC army, some LotR stuff, War Cry and a whole load of AoS minis from magazines to build now!

Best get painting.

• Upvote 1

Mental. Sold. 
also I’ve been painting the marines from the necron adventure game with the kids. Brother Grimm is my favourite. The other 2 are a bit crap. But done. 
kids are doing the other 2. Still wip

88C70D5C-A390-4E3E-918F-6486FBABA3CB.jpeg

D98BFB3C-3EEC-4DDC-A867-5F1D39D81076.jpeg

• Upvote 6

The red dude looks like he is 'eeny-meeny-miny-mo-ing' to decide which button to press

• Upvote 1

It’s like they’re doing warhammer catalogue poses. 
Red guy is best in the game, makes it much easier to survive as you can see where baddies are coming into the map next and can plan accordingly. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, And said:

It’s like they’re doing warhammer catalogue poses. 
Red guy is best in the game, 

Ha! Yes. 

The space wolf is kneeling and stoking his chin, while the salamander is standing with his foot up on a rock, shielding his eyes with his hand against an imaginary sun. Like models in a knitting pattern 

What’s the game, @And?

Been doing a bit more work on giant Abaddon tonight.  Decided to take a photo of him vs the little diorama thing I did at the weekend to show just how big he is.

2AAA84BB-427D-4D8C-B372-7FF4E1E61745.thumb.jpeg.9014419e0712415173dad1af09742632.jpeg

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, And said:

Is there a read order for this or just go free for all?

Christ knows. I think they're all the first books in other series. There may be some interlinking but after 30 Horus Heresy audio books I wish anyone trying to mentally track this stuff the best of luck. 

From the Warhammer Community site:

Series Starters by Black Library is a new Humble Bundle that will get you up to a whopping 26 Warhammer 40,000 eBooks! Each of these is a bona fide Black Library classic which  kicks off a series, from Dan Abnett’s beloved Gaunt’s Ghosts, Eisenhorn and Ravenor sagas, to tales of various Space Marine Chapters, the Rise of the Ynnari and more. If you want to dip your toe into some of the very best Warhammer 40,000 fiction, this is the perfect time

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Pelekophoros said:

Christ knows. I think they're all the first books in other series. There may be some interlinking but after 30 Horus Heresy audio books I wish anyone trying to mentally track this stuff the best of luck. 

Haha after  doing the first 15 or so of the horus heresy I know what you mean. I hadn’t twigged they were all firsts in series. 

1 hour ago, The Bag said:

What’s the game, @And?

Been doing a bit more work on giant Abaddon tonight.  Decided to take a photo of him vs the little diorama thing I did at the weekend to show just how big he is.

2AAA84BB-427D-4D8C-B372-7FF4E1E61745.thumb.jpeg.9014419e0712415173dad1af09742632.jpeg

I’m dying to see him with his top knot. It’s magnificent in my mind!

13 hours ago, And said:

Is there a read order for this or just go free for all?

I can't imagine you need a reading order.  As @Pelekophoros said, they're all first books in series.  I guess that's why the bundle is so generous - they're hoping you'll enjoy what you read and invest in later books in one or more of the series.  It's a great idea, to be honest - we get a bunch of really good Warhammer books, and they get you buying the later ones in the series.  I've read three of them - Eisenhorn Xenos, Rynn's World, and Watchers of the Throne: The Emperor's Legion, and have started another two - Night Lords: Soul Hunter and The Talon of Horus*.  The three I've read all work as stand alone stories.  The Eisenhorn book is a pretty cool dark sci-fi adventure that reminded me a bit of Iain M Banks.  The Emperor's Legion is okay, I mostly found it interesting because it's quite new, so set during the current story, with Guilliman back and all that.  It's got some interesting stuff about the reaction of the rulers of Terra to Guilliman's return.  Rynn's World is a blockbuster action story and huge fun, one of my favorite Warhammer books.  There are a couple of great crowd-pleasing moments.  Soul Hunter and Talon of Horus are both absolutely brilliant.  They're Aaron Dembski-Bowden novels, and he's the best writer Games Workshop have.  He's on a whole other level.  For the most part Warhammer books are of course pretty pulpy, as good as they are.  ADB's are something above that.  Those two series are pretty easy to get into as well - The Night Lords books are a self-contained trilogy, and there are only two Black Legion books so far.

Of these series-beginning books, as far as I know there's only one that is the start of a huge series where you have to read them all to get the whole story, which is I Am Slaughter, book 1 of The Beast Arises, the story of Orks invading Armageddon (again) I think.  There are a lot of Gaunt's Ghosts books, and quite a few Eisenhorn ones, but Each book in those series is, as far as I know, an individual story.  They're also both Dan Abnett books, and his are always good fun anyway, so it's worth getting into them.  

*The only reason I've started these and not finished them is due to the Unusual Circumstances we find outself in.  Talon of Horus was my "motivation to go swimming" audiobook.  I have a waterproof ipod with it on, and I was listening to it while swimming lengths, but I can't go swimming anymore.  Soul Hunter I also have on audiobook, but again, I don't have much opportunity to listen to audiobooks at the moment.  I would listen to it while painting, but my son plays in the same room, and the themes are not suitable for a six-year-old.  I kind of think wearing headphones would be a bit rude as he keeps wanting to talk to me and tell me about the lego gun he's just made.  He made one with "9344 damage" yesterday.  

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

There are a lot of Gaunt's Ghosts books, and quite a few Eisenhorn ones, but Each book in those series is, as far as I know, an individual story.  They're also both Dan Abnett books, and his are always good fun anyway, so it's worth getting into them.  

They aren't individual stories at all really - Eisenhorn was a connected trilogy originally and I think he did another couple in the series (and Ravenor is connected and shares many characters). Gaunt's Ghost book 1 is a fix-up of several short stories but after that iirc the series is split into roughly 4 x 4 book story arcs that you really don't want to read out of order. Each book is an individual story in that they have a beginning-middle-end but there is an overall arc running through them and recurring characters whose stories develop over many books.

My advice on Black Library stuff is read everything by Dan Abnett, he is a cut above. Gaunt's Ghosts is one of the great military SF series period, regardless of its status as licensed fiction.

• Upvote 2

Successfully nabbed a fully assembled & what appears to be decently painted Stompa for £65, now I just need to get the rest of the army sorted.

On 18/04/2020 at 20:30, Captain Novaforce said:

Second Gaunt's Ghosts, its basically Sharpe in space.

Yeah, great series. Really, really good.

The Eisenhorn and Ravenor books are a set of really good detective books IN SPAAAAAACE! I would recommend getting The Magos, which links the three Eisenhorn, the three Ravenor and the one Bequin books together with a series of short stories and adds another great book to the series. It'll take you a while to get through all eight books, none of them are short, and the dozen or more linking short stories. But they're really well written and are are a brilliant series of stories. 

I also really liked the Iron Warriors books BUT the third Uriel / Ultramarines book happens between the first and second Iron Warriors books. So it doesn't actually all make sense unless you read those as well. Which is pretty annoying.