rllmuk
Lorfarius

Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Yeah, I could try it. It's something I should learn to do. I have a cheap box of oil paints somewhere. I don't really know the dilution levels. 

I've spent an hour doing a bit more traditional black lining, and that has improved matters. The chest was the main area of contention for me. I actually think that once the sword is painted and the head in place it will look better overall as those are the focal points. 

1 hour ago, feltmonkey said:

Yeah, I could try it. It's something I should learn to do. I have a cheap box of oil paints somewhere. I don't really know the dilution levels. 

A lot.  The great thing about oils is they have such a long working time, anything you do can be undone with spirits.  They take a bit to get used to, and I’m definitely no expert in using them but if I fuck up it can be easily undone.

Games Workshop are shutting down completely.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/03/24/its-time-to-bunker-downgw-homepage-post-1fw-homepage-post-1/

This means that all our Warhammer and Games Workshop stores will be shut from the 24th March until an initial date of the 14th April. We’ll also be closing our factory and distribution centres – so our online stores (Games Workshop, Forge World and Black Library) won’t be selling or shipping any physical products during this period either. If you’ve recently placed an order and are waiting for it to arrive, please give us 48 hours to contact you. If you’ve still got questions after that, then please drop our Customer Service team a line via email, they’ll be valiantly working from home to ensure you’re supported over this period.

They really do seem like one of the better companies to work for.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

Yeah, that's the right thing to do. My wife ordered a battlebox of goblins for my birthday a couple of days ago, so I won't be receiving that, but I'm fine with that if it keeps their people safe. 

5 hours ago, Captain Novaforce said:

Can't wait to get started on this lot

What are they from?

They are indeed, the Chaos Cultists are also pretty decent. 

The Game can be played solo apparently, depending on how long I'm stuck in for might give it a go. From the original set the only model I've not finished yet is the Man of Iron.

Making progress, slowly. 

2A23BF48-F65C-4B03-A222-155A350EAF12.jpeg

76A700F2-4BB6-40F0-87CD-C10C47FC3DDC.jpeg

still wip, banshee for scale, no idea why top is upside down!

• Upvote 3

Thanks @feltmonkey, hard to know with that paint whether you’re overdoing it or. It so have been building it up bit by bit. Might have to rehighlight over the top of it. 

A couple of my metallics have settled so much they’re basically a lump of pigment with a pool of medium on top, if you dig out a bit of the lump of pigment and wipe off any medium it’s great for dry brushing. Really dense and colourful. 

I've been making the most of lockdown, our local friend group has been having group video painting sessions. Really like the idea of just chatting away whilst working on things. 

• Upvote 1

Until about a minute ago I thought I'd finished Guilliman, but I've just realised I forgot to add a final highlight to his chapter symbols.

This has happened a dozen times today, as I keep noticing bits I missed.  The metal wires up his sword.  The screen on his backpack.  The sword grip.  It goes on and on.

4 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

Until about a minute ago I thought I'd finished Guilliman, but I've just realised I forgot to add a final highlight to his chapter symbols.

This has happened a dozen times today, as I keep noticing bits I missed.  The metal wires up his sword.  The screen on his backpack.  The sword grip.  It goes on and on.

This is why I don't bother with gw models. They look cool but given the way that I paint it's not worth the effort. 

• Upvote 1

Guilliman is notorious as the most fiddly of all the GW minis though I think.  Kenny Boucher said in a video I tried to watch that the backpack alone took him longer than most miniatures he's ever painted.

• Empathy 1

I remember when the primarchs first came out and I thought how fucking cool they would be to collect. I bought the forge world version of Guilliman, took one look at all of the parts then put everything back in the box never to be seen again. It doesn't help that this isn't really a hobby or me any more; painting a primarch is a luxury I can't afford when I could probably knock out ten superhero models to sell on ebay in the same amount of time.

• Upvote 1

Ive been working on this guy today. to get him finished and ready

20200327_165934.jpg

• Upvote 8

47 minutes ago, Cocky said:

I remember when the primarchs first came out and I thought how fucking cool they would be to collect. I bought the forge world version of Guilliman, took one look at all of the parts then put everything back in the box never to be seen again. It doesn't help that this isn't really a hobby or me any more; painting a primarch is a luxury I can't afford when I could probably knock out ten superhero models to sell on ebay in the same amount of time.

How much do you reckon a Guilliman painted to my standard would get on ebay? :D

1 hour ago, feltmonkey said:

How much do you reckon a Guilliman painted to my standard would get on ebay? :D

Probably not much in terms of an hourly rate ^_^

18 hours ago, The Hierophant said:

“Needs more skulls”

GW designers take a very Orkish approach to miniature design and detail. 

you rang…  Made a start on the base skulls of big boy Abaddon today.  I like to imagine each one was a optimistic little Ultramarine.

C2C65571-ADBD-4C23-BCF4-010C55CD31AB.thumb.jpeg.4ea57689e332624426134d5354ec4aa6.jpeg

Was thinking I should paint the rest of my Abaddons.  I’ve got the original ‘90s model painted at the time, I’m painting the FW statue from the turn of the millennium, and waiting to paint I’ve got FW’s Abaddon vs Loken and the new GW Abaddon.  A little family of Abaddons.

• Upvote 3

cracking paintjob. I hate his fucking stupid anime proportioned head. for such an important character he looks terrible.

• Upvote 1

On 29/03/2020 at 23:55, feltmonkey said:

DSC_8926a.thumb.jpg.c9ff93ebd3fe87b00c711f74c73f154b.jpg

As I mentioned the other day, he's the hardest thing I've ever painted.  Even looking at the pictures now makes me want to go back and touch up the areas that aren't perfect.  Still, I'm glad to have finished him.  After I finished, I immediately painted a goblin, one of the Zarbag's Gitz warband from Warhammer Underworlds, in about half an hour. 

Magnificent.

• Upvote 1

Patience really paid off! Favourite bit is the sword, sold the effect really well! They could have sculpted him a better head although you've painted it really well.