Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

There really are. 

They seem incredibly tiny, at least compared to what I remember. I know they aren't as the bases are the same size, but daaaaamn. I'm going to need Doc Brown style ultra goggles for painting. 

I'm also amazed at how minimal the (very few) mould lines are. Nice job, GW. 

I've got a few "battle damaged" shoulder pads already and think I will ditch the clippers in favour of the knife for getting some bits out of the sprues. Any other tips/reminders for building? 

Very sharp Stanley knife but be careful. 

in other news - contrast paints are cheating 

Like 15 minutes and ready for highlights. 

2BF44318-917F-479C-ACC5-982F147824F9.jpeg

Lesson #1:

My gentle light bulbs in the main fixtures fail to show mould lines and a proper lamp saves much additional work later on. 

Lesson #2

There's a special place in hell for whoever thought it would be fine for sprues to attach to the round, round - indeed, the roundest - part of a space marine backpack. Seriously, *£&k! that guy. 

1 hour ago, Danno said:

There really are. 

They seem incredibly tiny, at least compared to what I remember. I know they aren't as the bases are the same size, but daaaaamn. I'm going to need Doc Brown style ultra goggles for painting. 

Actually, 2020 minis are quite a bit bigger than 2000 ones.  You'd be surprised.  :)

A set of magnifying glasses will help you out, but there's no need to start with the add-ons when you're just starting out.  Even if you can see the details better with them, you still need to have trained your hand to be steady enough to hit them.

I would continue to use the clippers to remove the minis from the sprues.  It's harder with a craft knife.  You don't need to remove them perfectly first time - you can remove them with a small amount of sprue still attached, and then go back in to tidy it up.  I tend to clip and then use a craft knife to tidy.

One thing that helps when wanting to paint minis these days is the absolute plethora of painting channels.  Some are better than others, obviously, but there's loads of information out there on basic tips up to advanced techniques and theories.  Also, you can always ask us.

59 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

Actually, 2020 minis are quite a bit bigger than 2000 ones.  You'd be surprised.  :)

A set of magnifying glasses will help you out, but there's no need to start with the add-ons when you're just starting out.  Even if you can see the details better with them, you still need to have trained your hand to be steady enough to hit them.

I would continue to use the clippers to remove the minis from the sprues.  It's harder with a craft knife.  You don't need to remove them perfectly first time - you can remove them with a small amount of sprue still attached, and then go back in to tidy it up.  I tend to clip and then use a craft knife to tidy.

One thing that helps when wanting to paint minis these days is the absolute plethora of painting channels.  Some are better than others, obviously, but there's loads of information out there on basic tips up to advanced techniques and theories.  Also, you can always ask us.

Thank you Sir.

I was going to ask about painting channels actually, as I've been vicariously hobbying since the start of the year. I really enjoy Goobertown Hobbies and Squidmar. Tabletop Minions is good, but a bit broad in overall scope (and I wish Sam Lenz had the time to basically run his own channel) . Duncan/Warhammer TV is ok-ish - heresy, I know. Miniac is usually too YOUUTOOOB for me to tolerate for more than the first 15 seconds, which is frustrating as he clearly know his stuff. 

Any gems I should have a look at? 

Sorastro's Painting is very good.  In my opinion these are the clearest, best-produced and most useful painting videos on youtube.  He doesn't paint GW minis, but the lessons are very transferable.  https://www.youtube.com/user/Sorastro

Vince Venturella has some great tips, and a really good exploration of contrast paints.  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgptSaRLvd1QH0SURdQNYgg

If you want something to make you think "I will NEVER be able to do that" you need Angel Giraldez's channel.  - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQVY6ZD9YjxwPzJqJ6DcHgA

A real favorite of mine is Darren Latham's channel, which contains videos with so many more painting steps than you ever thought necessary. - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSz0WzAuhwjezFyEIv3Xksg

I really like Squidmar as well.  You'd trust that guy to cat-sit for you, wouldn't you?

I'm sort of thinking a blog would be more appropriate but I'll risk a ban here instead. 

Lesson 3: sprue joins in certain places are literally the devil. GW likes the stakes higher than that and so places them in horrid places on the models you want to do a really good job on. 

Exhibit A) a pauldron rim on an Intercessor Sergeant. Exhibit B) A weird dimple bang in the middle of an Intercessor Sergeant pauldron. Exhibit C) Come on really?! The middle of a leg plate (chausse). Why?! 

Building has gone okish. Priming happens tomorrow. I've seen the eagle trap and left most arms off for now, WAIT EXHIBIT D MARINE FOREARMS WHAT THE ACTUAL...!

Still need to build the inceptors, Captain, Lieutenants and Ancient. Experience seems to be helping though. 

Also, this rulebook is pleasingly huge. 

I cut it with clippers a little above where it joins the model then use a hobby knife to pare it down. Sometimes a bit of filing required. I find if you cut it too close with the clippers it can leave a dent out of the model. 

2 hours ago, Kzo said:

I cut it with clippers a little above where it joins the model then use a hobby knife to pare it down. Sometimes a bit of filing required. I find if you cut it too close with the clippers it can leave a dent out of the model. 

This.  
also if you’re worried about shoulder pads - decal will cover a multitude of sins

Much obliged. I ended up with a couple of craters, but they were in hidden spots and after priming them up it meant you'd really have to be looking for the flaws to notice them (inceptors, I'm looking at your weird leg plates) 

I've just been told I'm building the Death Guard (my gal called them, but only wants to paint them). Having now looked at the sprues properly, these clippers from the essentials set are going to tear them into loyalists so I've ordered something less brutal. Or looks less brutal... 

Whilst browsing/googling I saw that the Citadel snips are £22 and other brands go north of that. I'd be grateful for some recommendations for decent clippers. If 20quid or more is the going rate that's cool but I would like some reassurance! 

On 19/03/2020 at 22:35, feltmonkey said:

A real favorite of mine is Darren Latham's channel, which contains videos with so many more painting steps than you ever thought necessary. - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSz0WzAuhwjezFyEIv3Xksg

Darren’s channel is getting take down in April I believe it is, so save videos now.

I really like Marco’s channel 

https://www.youtube.com/user/SicarioRimini

A good number of the Patreon based channels are doing $1 tiers atm, and putting free stuff out e.g. Banshee https://youtu.be/fjvTffxZeCg

5 minutes ago, The Bag said:

Darren’s channel is getting take down in April I believe it is, so save videos now.

Is it? How come? 

Also, sorry to be a noob, but how do I save YouTube videos? 

35 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

Is it? How come? 

Also, sorry to be a noob, but how do I save YouTube videos? 

he’s not said, everyone thinks GW is behind it.  You’ve got longer than I remembered:

Hi all. Welcome to my last video on the channel. In this episode I tackle the base for the miniature. I’d encourage you to make your own base and have some fun with it. As mentioned in the video I was a bit restricted as to what I could use. As a last message I’d like to say how grateful I am to everyone for their support over the last 6 months. I don’t think I’ve had any negative comments which is great to see.

I’ve had countless people online and in person tell me how my videos have helped and improved their painting. It really makes me feel proud and I have a massive sense of achievement knowing that in some way this channel helped people. I can’t tell you how much I enjoyed making these videos for you, it really was a pleasure to share my knowledge. Keep painting, keep sharing knowledge. I’ll see you all over on Instagram.Thanks everyone, we have an amazing hobby community! All the best, Daz

The channel will remain active until the 18th of May, then it will close.

As for downloading them, there’s a bunch of stuff around: https://www.techradar.com/uk/news/the-best-free-youtube-downloader

I've just used online stuff in the past, but the 4K downloader in there looks good.

While isolating, I've been slowly painting Guilliman, aka the hardest thing to paint ever.

DSC_0017crop.thumb.jpg.d7776f067295939ec8a0c9184cfa3b37.jpg

DSC_0016crop.thumb.jpg.25dc048d5108f2daaafb45e512497271.jpg

I've got a lot to do on him, of course.  The armour is just impossible.  All the gold is highlighted with silver, although that doesn't really show up in the photo.  I keep going back to the armour, tidying up edges where I've gone outside the lines, trying to refine the blends and smooth the rough edges.  I keep seeing areas that need tidying up, but it's so fiddly that some of the time when trying to tidy up I just make another mistake.  I could be tinkering with this forever.  To indicate where I am at the moment, I think the right knee is fine.  Both thighs are okay.  The rest is still not right.  What can I do to improve it?  More black lining to define things?  Try to smooth the highlights on the chest and powerfist?

i get annoyed enough painting Chaos Space Marines. i dont think i'll ever bother painting that bugger so i commend your efforts.  I'd be tempted to pin wash all those swirly gold armour bits and save yourself another 40 hours of trying to outline stuff

I think pin-washing would take quite a while on it's own.  I've also never used oil washes, so I'd be nervous of using a new technique on a model I've put so much time into.  It's a quandary.

3 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

I think pin-washing would take quite a while on it's own.  I've also never used oil washes, so I'd be nervous of using a new technique on a model I've put so much time into.  It's a quandary.

i get that, however oil or enamel washes can pretty much be fully reversed if you arent liking it and dont leave it for ages. You could easily pinwash that guy in about 5 minutes or less, and that includes the time you may need to tidy up any areas with some white spirits and a cottonbud.