rllmuk
Lorfarius

Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

On 23/01/2020 at 13:47, Captain Novaforce said:

It's worth it for the mimis alone. 

D43FBC8E-8642-40B3-BCE6-3FEA92961893.jpeg

• Upvote 6

30 minutes ago, Pelekophoros said:

OMG what have you done to the left hand butt plug? YOU MONSTER.

I let a six-year old have a go at spraying when i played with some contrasts stuff. 

In his defence he did do as asked which was "making sure to cover it as best you can"

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

Going by that photo probably a flat surface.

It was on a piece of card outside of the garage i may have the video somewhere was Chaos:P

• Upvote 1

I don't know whether to post this in the mini thread or here but it's for my plague marines so I'll go with here; I want to achieve this effect on my dudes, like some kind of gunk is leaking from between the plates:

https://www.123rf.com/photo_93554250_stain-of-rust-on-metal-with-crack-texture.html

Sorry the upload function is knackered at the moment. 

I'm at that point where I'm cleaning up minutiae to put off washing and dry brushing because if I fuck this up now I'm just lobbing the lot out. Anyway, any advice would be appreciated.

Space Marine Adventures is available in the UK now, exclusive to Game and only £35.  Looks like quite a neat little light gateway tactics game, playable in half an hour, not very ruley.  Seems like a bit of a cross between Space Hulk and Pandemic, minus lots of rules.  I'm going to grab one for when I've got a spare 45 mins and just want to move some minis about and roll some dice.  Lovely Joel from Drive Thru highly recommends it as a quick solo game and likens it to the Space Hulk Death Angel card game - sold.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/247106/space-marine-adventures-labyrinth-necrons

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

I don't know whether to post this in the mini thread or here but it's for my plague marines so I'll go with here; I want to achieve this effect on my dudes, like some kind of gunk is leaking from between the plates:

https://www.123rf.com/photo_93554250_stain-of-rust-on-metal-with-crack-texture.html

This is my plague marine

This was done with enamel washes from AK Interactive. Enamel Washes are great because if you dont like the effect you just wipe it off with white spirit and you're back to your base paintwork as though you hadnt done anything. Its not like working with acrylics that dry then youre stuck with it. they're also a hell of a lot easier to blend and are that dilutable you get super smooth transitions and blends with minimal effort

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Nicky said:

This is my plague marine

This was done with enamel washes from AK Interactive. Enamel Washes are great because if you dont like the effect you just wipe it off with white spirit and you're back to your base paintwork as though you hadnt done anything. Its not like working with acrylics that dry then youre stuck with it. they're also a hell of a lot easier to blend and are that dilutable you get super smooth transitions and blends with minimal effort

That's fucking stunning. I'm way off with blending, I can't even do washes and dry brushing properly at the moment. I've been smashing my head against it today, but I've been making stupid mistakes.

It's been trying.

EPx0jUIWAAASr4N.jpeg

• Upvote 2

@moosegrinder

are you planning on washing those guys with agrax or something? If so then try and relax as it’ll cover a multitude of sins. Perfect is the enemy of good. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, And said:

@moosegrinder

are you planning on washing those guys with agrax or something? If so then try and relax as it’ll cover a multitude of sins. Perfect is the enemy of good. 

No I want to leave it is vibrant as possible. I've been using a blue ink to pin wash it but it doesn't look great. I'll figure something out.

My wife found me some stuff in a charity shop near where she works.

DSC_0002a.thumb.jpg.1587c626eedc7e17c399edbdaa4588cb.jpg

(horrible coffee table: model's own.)

All brand new, on the sprues.  The two smaller battlesuits were actually £4.99 each, the tank £9.99, and the Riptide £14.99.  It ended up being £35 for about £170 worth of miniatures.  There was also the empty box from another Riptide which just had the stuff left over on the sprues after one of them had been built, but my wife bought that too for £1.99, and even that had some needle pliers and some tiny magnets in.  By the way, I know the sticker on the battlesuit says £9.99, there was no haggling involved, they just sold them for £4.99 for some reason.

My wife is pretty amazing, obviously.  I had a game of AOS yesterday, and my mate told me his wife would have kept on walking and never mentioned the opportunity to expand the pile of shame.  I'm just trying to hope there isn't a sad story attached to this lot.  It kind of looks like it's been in the bottom of a closet for years and someone's just decided they're never going to do anything with it but they can't be bothered to ebay it.

• Upvote 5

6 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

No I want to leave it is vibrant as possible. I've been using a blue ink to pin wash it but it doesn't look great. I'll figure something out.

Id be tempted to get a tube of turqouise oil paint, a bottle of premium low odour white spirit from BnQ make a wash with half a GW pots worth of white spirit and a toothpaste pea sized bit of turqoise oil and go mental all over the model,  then you can clean away with a cotton bud or whatever. really it's that simple. then if you want to do streaks after its all dry, use a much thicker turquoise wash liek a really runny paint and start painting them on, then use the white spirit to easily blend the bottoms of those runs. bobs your uncle

• Upvote 1

On 02/02/2020 at 13:06, Nathan Wind said:

Space Marine Adventures is available in the UK now, exclusive to Game and only £35.  Looks like quite a neat little light gateway tactics game, playable in half an hour, not very ruley.  Seems like a bit of a cross between Space Hulk and Pandemic, minus lots of rules.  I'm going to grab one for when I've got a spare 45 mins and just want to move some minis about and roll some dice.  Lovely Joel from Drive Thru highly recommends it as a quick solo game and likens it to the Space Hulk Death Angel card game - sold.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/247106/space-marine-adventures-labyrinth-necrons

thanks for the heads up on this - mine, erm, I mean, the kids, arrived today. Will hopefully give it a game Sunday. 

That Space Marine Adventures game looks about the same level of complexity as Heroquest, which looks really interesting. Shame the baddies are just counters, but I assume the aim is to get people buying Necron models separately,

I bought Kill Team for my son for his 11th birthday, because it looked lots less complex than 40K, but my god it felt agonising.

Rolling for weapon skill, and then looking at the opponents toughness or whatever, then looking whether you hit, and then whether you wound, and deciding what gun you're using… sheesh, we were both bored. This looks much better.

Actually, has anyone written super-simple alternate rules for Kill Team? Me and the boy love the idea of it, bloody loved building the scenery, but the game was just too complex.

These are the latest things I've painted, and added to my slowly growing Drukhari force.  They are Lelith Hesperax and a Lhamaean.

DSC_8863a.thumb.jpg.7aebfbb181c12f3b88f4d4e8e6e80ec9.jpg

DSC_8836a.thumb.jpg.e04489fb70830d896e96506a712e2bf0.jpg

DSC_8861a.thumb.jpg.c36780eb88c634ea3daaed32da435ec9.jpg

DSC_8844a.thumb.jpg.a02bedb1e95bc76592760afcd8625e93.jpg

DSC_8845a.thumb.jpg.8d9d5944cb757785a6d88b0678827a0a.jpg

DSC_8851b.thumb.jpg.b797986ddb1df383a301b2b9b5c5fb9f.jpg

These were an absolute NIGHTMARE to paint. They're both finecast, so the sculpts were full of holes. Every spike on each model ends in an air bubble, a little hole. Lelith had no chin - it was completely missing - so I had to sculpt it out of greenstuff. That chin is all my work. There were an absolute ton of hidden mould gates. A dozen times I had to stop painting halfway through to carve off some bit of resin that I hadn't realised at first wasn't meant to be part of the model. I'd have to keep repainting areas after chopping out a support I hadn't noticed. I broke all the extremities off the Lhamaean at one time or another. Never paint finecast. Absolutely never paint two finecast models at the same time. It will sap your will to live. On top of this, Lelith's sculpt is embarrassingly outdated and degrading to a great character. She's an absolute badass, the pinnacle of Drukhari martial skill. Why is she wearing a g-string? You really notice how sexist a sculpt is when you're carefully painting a thong into a model's buttcrack and beyond. She deserves an updated sculpt, with a more dignified outfit.

They're up for the monthly Dakkadakka forum painting challenge.  Voting thread here - https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/785265.page

As always, this isn't a beg for votes, but a recommendation to check out the awesome models in the thread.  I'm a huge fan of the Star Wars Imperial Scout Trooper posted by Paradigm.  Go vote for that, if anything!

• Upvote 8

6 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

Spooky ratbois issue of Mortal Realms is in Tesco near me. Bit sooner than I thought.

That one was from last Wednesday. Issue 5 is out this week. 

2 hours ago, The Eagle Lord said:

It's got paint in there as well, so around a 50% discount all in. That's probably the lowest saving so far from a cursory glance. The first 3 issues were absolutely bonkers, mind.

Forbidden Planet have a load of stuff listed: https://forbiddenplanet.com/catalog/?q=mortal realms&page=1

I'm really tempted to get the whole run of Mortal Realms, although it is expensive overall.  There's some really cool stuff in there.  The only problem I have is that there's a fair bit of stuff I got in the Soul Wars box.  I have the minis from Issue 6, they were a Warhammer Underworlds squad.  God bless Forbidden Planet for stocking individual issues.  

Also, this week and the following three are the Primaris tank in Warhammer Conquest.  I actually found a copy of the first part in Smiths, so now I have to get the other three.  Still, big tank!

• Upvote 1

Ooh. I think I want that tank. Will put in an order. Cheers

Can’t decide on mortal realms. Have a sub but might cancel after delivery 2.