rllmuk
Lorfarius

Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Just now, Wiper said:

Yeah, the only actually 'limited' part of the boxset is the special edition codex (and maybe the cards? And, technically, the dice, but considering they're just plain white dice...), but it's annoying for anyone who wanted the models before Christmas/wants the special edition codex/wanted to save some money via boxset. I'm particularly sympathetic having missed out on Looncurse at the time, and having had to shell out scalper prices for it; I get that having things sell out immediately works as marketing, but it's pretty galling for would be buyers.

(of course, we also have the opposite situation with things like Blood of the Phoenix, where GW lock a handful of new figures in with a shit-ton of models which players already own and wonder why nobody buys the thing...)

I'll choose my words carefully for obvs reasons, but there really isn't a marketing conspiracy here. Just a limited amount of manufacturing capacity and a very busy release schedule. Choices made etc etc.

• Upvote 5

12 hours ago, Pelekophoros said:

Progress! First Space Wolf with contrast paints nearly done. I'm pretty happy with the results given its taken me maaaaybe 2 hours to get to here. In the classic method it would have been at least 5x that.

IMG_20191117_195231_439.thumb.jpg.dfa0ce2191eb92a34ea28b07f0bbacc1.jpg

:O 

I love me some Space Wolves and that is glorious already!

On 16/11/2019 at 15:27, Wiper said:

(of course, we also have the opposite situation with things like Blood of the Phoenix, where GW lock a handful of new figures in with a shit-ton of models which players already own and wonder why nobody buys the thing...)

I bought it! :D It's actually a great box, and a bit surprising that it didn't sell better. Among Aelderi players, the two things that they have been crying out for are plastic Incubi and plastic Aspect Warriors. Incubi have always been a really cool design ruined by poor resin models. In every box there was one mis-shapen helmet. I think it was a problem with the mould. Drazhar was in similar need of an update, and the new Jain Zhar model is very welcome as well. They probably did throw a few too many extras in there, that might have ended up being the problem. You mentioned Looncurse, but that's a strange one. Why did it sell so well? Two new models and a bunch of stuff that's very readily available, and it disappears off the shelves. It goes to show that predicting sales of these things is not as easy as it seems in hindsight. The pre-order model doesn't work because of the months-long production process. 

To be fair, the Sisters battlebox is pretty much unprecedented, being a box of figures which are all brand new, as well as being something which has been hyped from concept to release (not to mention demanded and teased before that) so no matter how many they made they were always going to sell out. My local independent store had 150 boxes and they sold in 15 minutes. I would guess that more than half of the boxes, probably closer to 90% will end up split apart and sold on ebay. THAT is the problem, not GW's production decisions. 

I mean, as someone who collects/collected night goblins, wood elves, dark eldar and eldar, I can at least cover my own feelings towards the two boxsets and why one interested me and one didn't, though obviously they won't be universal.

One was simply price: Looncurse at base £100 was an easier sell than BotP at £130. I appreciate that reflects the value of the models, but £100 just feels easier to justify. 

Second was newness: as you say, Looncurse only had a couple of unique models, but even its 'old' models were first released recently, meaning I owned none. Meanwhile, BotP consists primarily of models I've owned for around a decade, collected before I went on my last GW hiatus. It's hard to be too excited about a hover tank that I'm pretty sure is the same sprue that I first had back in the late '90s, for example! The fact is I've already owned 50% of the set for years from picking up models here and there, where Looncurse that only applied to people who'd jumped on the new releases as soon as they'd come out.

The final one is the most subjective, and is to do with the desirability of the models themselves. Ignoring the age and odds of already owning e.g. a falcon or vyper already, I have to say that I can't stand the hellion models (which is why they're one part of the Dark Eldar force I've never owned), and was very much disappointed by the plastic incubi - I prefer the old designs (though have the advantage of having bought them back when they were metal, so missed out on the finecast shenanigans).

Even without the latter, though, I think the fact that one set cost £100 while containing only < 2 year old models for two newly-complete factions, while the other cost £130 while being half-filled with decade+ old models for long-in-the-tooth armies, made one a rather easier sell!

(also, while I appreciate that scalpers are the scum of the earth and aren't GW's fault, I do find the GW system of not giving their own stores a set allowance for pre orders a bit poor. Presumably less of an issue with towns with an FLGS that can order in their own, but when your only local is a GW (or rather, a Warhammer as they are now), and said store can only provide pre orders through the online portal, it kind of screws any locals who don't want to order online over)

I agree that it was a bit too expensive. I got it for just over £100 after a pre-order discount and loyalty points in the end.  As I said, I do think they chucked a few too many extraneous sprues in - we could have done without the Vyper and some of the Drukhari bits and bobs. I really like the models though - the Incubi stay true to the general design with sharper details and different poses. The Banshees are a big improvement, as are the characters. I think where we differ is that I really like the Hellions and particularly Scourges so I don't mind having more of them. :D

Well I can at least agree with the scourges, they're lovely models; I just don't need spares! 

Back to the Sisters, I have a question for those more familiar with 40k as a system. I know that WYSIWYG is important in the game (which I have no issue with, in terms of making things clear to your opponent), but does that extend to paint jobs? i.e., if I were to rock up to a tournament with a Sisters force, would I have to ensure each detachment was painted exactly in the colour scheme defined for a specific Order (e.g. Argent Shroud's silver and white) if I wanted to use said order's ability (e.g. Argent Shroud's ability to advance and fire)? I tend to favour custom colour schemes, and I'm curious if that would leave me stuck with no Order benefits.

2 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Well I can at least agree with the scourges, they're lovely models; I just don't need spares! 

Back to the Sisters, I have a question for those more familiar with 40k as a system. I know that WYSIWYG is important in the game (which I have no issue with, in terms of making things clear to your opponent), but does that extend to paint jobs? i.e., if I were to rock up to a tournament with a Sisters force, would I have to ensure each detachment was painted exactly in the colour scheme defined for a specific Order (e.g. Argent Shroud's silver and white) if I wanted to use said order's ability (e.g. Argent Shroud's ability to advance and fire)? I tend to favour custom colour schemes, and I'm curious if that would leave me stuck with no Order benefits.

That's generally not an issue.

The only place that kind of kicks in is that some places have a rule that works in the other direction, where if your units are clearly painted and marked in the specific scheme for a named subfaction (so let's say, Imperial Fists), then you can't run them as a different one (eg. Ultramarines). If you've homebrewed your colours, then it's fine, they're successor chapters (or sub-orders) or whatever.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Wiper said:

<Looks at two boxes of unbuilt scourges and one painted squad all predating the Blood of the Phoenix box>

I think the fundamental difference between the two of us might be that you're not an idiot. 

I was in Nottingham for a few days for the Parapod Live at the beginning of this month and didn't think there was much else to do other than revisit the local cat cafe. I have only just found out about Warhammer World and am kicking myself that I didn't get a chance to see some of that incredible 'Eavy Metal and those insane dioramas in person. I visited the Warhammer shop and thought it seemed a bit small, completely missing the fact that the biggest Warhammer place was a 15 minute tram ride away :facepalm:

• Upvote 1

Finished painting the imperials from the Aeronautica imperialis starter set. Doing a big event at WHW in feb so need to get more fighters to fill out the force. 2D5AF1C5-D7EE-4EC6-A67F-C25A1A792A3C.thumb.jpeg.0f224832bb6e5a039a209479528a856e.jpeg
46431A6B-DF95-40EC-B064-506A39E8A861.thumb.jpeg.410781838e63e851ac4416ecaabdf259.jpeg51444B4E-38FF-40DD-B8D4-7ACA9ADF0F7D.thumb.jpeg.82772dc6fb798bffbf144313112c9f72.jpeg

• Upvote 8

They look sweet!

I too am hoping to do a Febuary event at Warhammer world. But the Adeptus Titanicus one.

Got to get my painting on though.

Regretting starting on Legio Fureans. They look great but take forever.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Aluco said:

They look sweet!

I too am hoping to do a Febuary event at Warhammer world. But the Adeptus Titanicus one.

Got to get my painting on though.

Regretting starting on Legio Fureans. They look great but take forever.

That’s the same weekend as my event but mines just a single day. 

I’d love to get into AT but I’ve just got too many systems on the go. I loved the intro game I had and the games GW put on the stream always look like huge fun with much hilarity. 

11 hours ago, RFT said:

That’s the same weekend as my event but mines just a single day. 

I’d love to get into AT but I’ve just got too many systems on the go. I loved the intro game I had and the games GW put on the stream always look like huge fun with much hilarity. 

Well if we do end up there the same day. Let's meet up and I'll buy you a pint of Bugmans's XXXXXX.

I'll post here once I confirm that I am going.

Thanks! Yes it is freehand. It was tricky, obviously, but really fun and rewarding. I'm not really very good at drawing but I found a cool photo and had a go at copying it. During a slow afternoon in work, I sketched a version of it in biro, around the right size, I think that helped a lot because it made me really look at the photo, and all the details. I sketched the outline of the head and the location of the eyes on the Land Raider in pencil then just sort of had fun with it. 

They are awesome, they look big but I guess they aren’t right? How big are they ? 
not like proper Titan scale right? How big is the base?

is the game any good?

16 hours ago, Aluco said:

And they're done.

These have taken soooo long. Yellow takes ages. Flames take ages. Tidying up mistakes in black, with yellow, takes ages. I have a Warlord to go too but that is on pause while I refresh on something else. If I get to the event in February, it will be with my Legio Atarus. I can't see me painting enough of these by then.

Still I am pleased with this pair.

Fureans 1.png

Fureans 2.png

They look great. Love the old epic-scale rhino on the base. 

@And for scale, that’s an 80mm base. It’s a great game, quite old-school in places (a fair bit of rolling on tables and funny stuff happening like dying titans firing blindly, toppling over and falling on nearby knights) it’s on my list of games I really want to get into and it was on the cards until Aeronautica came out. I definitely want to start it next year. 

• Upvote 1

I like the game, although I have not played a lot.

It is very much an old school styled game. It plays quite slowly because it simulates quite a lot of detail. It is designed to feel like you remember the original was like. Although in actuality, it is much improved on that. Battering down the big guys feels like a massive war of attrition against the god-machines that they are.

I was attracted to it by nostalgia and the ability to paint everything I wanted for it without going mad and ending up with dozens of models. Instead I will go mad painting yellow and black flames. Another thing I have liked is magnetizing the weapons and heads, so I can achieve a lot of variety with just a few models.

Well. My DG army has sold. I have mixed feelings about it going, especially mortarion as that’s still the best thing I ever painted, but I’ve had my fun building and painting it. Hopefully the buyer will actually use it and the cash means guilt free hobby purchases for the next year or 2. 

• Upvote 3

I got bitten by the nostalgia/oldhammer/midhammer bug recently, and got the urge to pull out my old WHFB stuff i picked up when I started getting back into the hobby 10 years ago. You know, because I didn't have enough in my paint queue.

Can you guess which my kids were practicing on?

1uOkyRA.jpg

Not old hammer, but it's a solid base to start on. I downloaded a copy of 3rd ed rule book and Warhammer Armie. Next stop is to keep my eyes on the Oldhammer trading sites.

• Upvote 2