rllmuk
Lorfarius

Games Workshop, An Appreciation Thread

Thanks! Don't tell anyone, but it's basically drybrushing. 

How you do it is you get a decent basecoat, the darkest it really works with is doombull brown, which I used here. Lighter colours work better, I can't get it to work with darker colours yet. Then you give it a drybrush with a much lighter tone (not white or anything, but maybe Tau Light Ochre. I honestly can't remember which colours I used here.) This needs to be a very light, but sort of very persistent drybrush. So you really have hardly any paint on the brush at all, but you go at it, over the whole area, and from a variety of angles - this is key. You might start to see the beginning of the effect. Do another drybrush with an even lighter tone, even lighter strokes, starting to create the gradient, so mainly hitting the parts you would normally highlight such as the raised ridges in the cloak. Next you give it a wash. I always use a paint called Smokey Ink from the Vallejo Game Colour range. It's a magic paint. I think you might be able get the effect without the smokey ink but it seems to be much better with it. Basically, this paint has a slightly gritty texture. Not as much as something like Typhus Corrosion, it's much more subtle. Drybrushing over this is the main thing that creates that cracked leather effect. I think the paint is catching the edges of the grittiness, but this might be nonsense. Try to make sure this wash doesn't pool and stain the mini, as this method makes it very difficult to sort that out if it happens. Once the wash is dry, go back to drybrushing with a highlight colour, but choose a different colour. It can be something similar, but varying it is key to creating the interest. drybrush on another brightest highlight, again choosing a slightly different colour to the last brightest highlight. Wash again in a different tone. Then finally drybrush back up in a couple of stages, with yet more varied tones. Than you should be done, although you can keep going back and forth between washing and drybrushing, it seems the more you do the better it looks. There's really no skill involved. One tip though - do this bit first and paint around it, or paint in sub-assemblies. You're going to hit everything around it as you can't do a targeted, dainty drybrush.

• Upvote 3

I was tempted by the necromunda box even though there’s slim chance I’ll play it. but then saw the price. :bye:

• Upvote 2

Assuming it doesn't sell out immediately (which I think is depressingly likely), I'll absolutely be getting the box-set; it helps that the post-box-set releases they've shown off also look ace. I'm even a bit tempted to try 40k for the first time since the '90s, should I manage to put together a Sisters army.

13 hours ago, Captain Novaforce said:

Anyone else going to try but sisters? I really really don't need them buuuuut 

I'm getting them. They'll never be played but I really want to paint them.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

I'm getting them. They'll never be played but I really want to paint them.

Same here i shall go down the eBay route for getting some to paint.

Basically its because that white haircut reminds me very much of an old neighbour i had and brings back some great memories. lol

Sounds like it.

Though they compare it to The Heresy, but that’s forgeworld only right? so it could go that way. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I'm tentatively interested,* but the '3+ years away' thing does make me think they risk missing out on much of the benefit of said free advertising.

* more as it suggests we're getting a rank and file system of some description to play with than due to any particular love for the setting

Yep, and sold out just after ten past (though given how slowly the site was running by that point I would be surprised if anyone who started trying to order by even five past would have had a chance). Considering the local GW store was telling people to pop in before 11 to preorder (and that, as I assume with all GW stores, 'preordering at the store' just means logging into their terminal and accessing the website that way), I imagine there were quite a lot of frustrated would-be-buyers in town this morning.

I was lucky enough to get a preorder in, but I think this was pretty crummily done.

Multi-part kits from early next year, though, so this isn't the only chance to own them (just the only chance to own them right now).

There were boxes on ebay before 10.30 at £300. The scalping is strong.

i dont understand why GW didnt open pre-orders 2 months ago to get a concrete figure on how fucking many they'd need to produce, then y'know make that plus 20% extra. it's as though GW don't want easy money. some things they're doing really well, others like this and their limited run bullshit they're still in the dark ages. While they're at it, make all their old limited run items, have a pre-order booking and when they hit say...200 orders for that thing, produce them

22 minutes ago, Pelekophoros said:

Multi-part kits from early next year, though, so this isn't the only chance to own them (just the only chance to own them right now).

There were boxes on ebay before 10.30 at £300. The scalping is strong.

Yeah, the only actually 'limited' part of the boxset is the special edition codex (and maybe the cards? And, technically, the dice, but considering they're just plain white dice...), but it's annoying for anyone who wanted the models before Christmas/wants the special edition codex/wanted to save some money via boxset. I'm particularly sympathetic having missed out on Looncurse at the time, and having had to shell out scalper prices for it; I get that having things sell out immediately works as marketing, but it's pretty galling for would be buyers.

(of course, we also have the opposite situation with things like Blood of the Phoenix, where GW lock a handful of new figures in with a shit-ton of models which players already own and wonder why nobody buys the thing...)